• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    The inevitable has happened, unfortunately not unexpected. Wife’s 2018 5.3L Suburban has developed a tick, need to get all of the AFM/DOD garbage removed…cam and lifters.

I don’t have time to deal with this, gotta take it to a shop.

Any recos for an engine shop in the DFW area?

Last edited:

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    It’s intermittent and it might be a busted exhaust manifold bolt/leak…a few shops said it sounds the same as a lifter, with the difference being the exhaust happens only when cold, lifter will make the noise always.

I’ll keep an eye on it for the next few days…if it’s a lifter I don’t want to drive it too much.

Best price I’ve found was $2700 all-in for labor, and I supply the parts.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I use a guy named Diep at J&A Auto Repair in Richardson. Its at Jupiter and Campbell. Not a terrible drive for you. They have done great work over the years for me. And very fair rates.

They are also agreeable to using your parts if you want to bring them. Good guys.

972-671-5310

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    @pronstar is this the same one that just got the transmission replaced? You might consider a new crate motor if you plan on keeping the ‘burb for a while. The labor charges are there anyway, and you would have new running gear sans the differential.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    I use a guy named Diep at J&A Auto Repair in Richardson. Its at Jupiter and Campbell. Not a terrible drive for you. They have done great work over the years for me. And very fair rates.

They are also agreeable to using your parts if you want to bring them. Good guys.

972-671-5310
    Thanks brother

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    @pronstar is this the same one that just got the transmission replaced? You might consider a new crate motor if you plan on keeping the ‘burb for a while. The labor charges are there anyway, and you would have new running gear sans the differential.
    Yeah, same one.

Got a similar suggestion from another buddy…start building the motor I want and do a swap when this one craps the bed

I’m gonna consider it for sure

Lead Belly

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    Send an oil sample in to Blackstone so you can know if it is just broken exhaust stud or is lifter disintegration. Or cut the oil filter open and look for the expensive glitter.

Haven't done a Tahoe yet, but rebuilt several Hemi Pursuit Chargers and once the sparkles show up in the VCT/VVT oil valve screen, the engine is toast.

jetcycles

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Shoreacres, TX
    Hate to hear that mate! Our pipeline trucks are almost all Chevrolet 1500 4x4's, maintained exclusively by the dealership on schedule, and we've been seeing lifters go like crazy at the 125k mile mark.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom