• ...and so much more!
  • glenbo

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon
    I can't remember who makes it, probably one of the companies out of Turkey, but I saw an ad for a .380 with tip-up barrel. It looked to be almost a full size gun. Anybody?
    DK Firearms

10-96inTexas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2022
    Cooterville
    I can't remember who makes it, probably one of the companies out of Turkey, but I saw an ad for a .380 with tip-up barrel. It looked to be almost a full size gun. Anybody?
    Not a fan of Girsan pistols but I think this might be the one you were referring to

justmax

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    I bought the Ruger Security-380 with the Lite Rack slide (I believe 380 is the biggest caliber they offer with the Lite Rack Slide) a few months back. The slide is very easy to rack, and very minimal recoil when firing. I’m about average strength, and I can rack the slide fairly easily with two fingers.

I’ve never tried the S&W ez rack, so I can’t really compare the two.

Here’s a really good video that shows a side by side comparison of the two.

Thank you. I think the best idea so far is going and renting one, not sure why I didn’t think of that.

justmax

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    Not a fan of Girsan pistols but I think this might be the one you were referring to
    I was not familiar with this one. I was thinking of my Beretta bobcat and tomcat. Wish I could afford a model 86 which is what this Gerson seems to be comparable with in size.

jimbo

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    north richland hills, texas
    I have one of these and I love it. Never have to rack it. SA/DA is excellent and trigger pull is nice. Capacity is 13 +1. It is a clone of the Beretta Cheeta

justmax

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    I have one of these and I love it. Never have to rack it. SA/DA is excellent and trigger pull is nice. Capacity is 13 +1. It is a clone of the Beretta Cheeta
    so it is cheetah size? I thought it was more of a full size gun. I will definitely check this out as they don't cost that much new. Thank you!

justmax

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    so it is cheetah size? I thought it was more of a full size gun. I will definitely check this out as they don't cost that much new. Thank you!
    I just watched the video on EA's website. I'm impressed !
    Assuming you have one of those base plate loading tools, does that serve as a magazine loader as well or, or just to carry that loose round for the chamber?
    You're not done playing with yours yet are you?

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    Hi Max - sorry for the delayed reply, I didn't see your earlier request to me.

Until very recently all I owned were revolvers because I could not rack any slide. Kept looking though, every time at a LGS or pawn shop I'd try one, or many, including the S&W EZs. No go.

Then I found one, and it's now my only gun (gave the rest to hubby lol).
    It's the S&W Equalizer, 9mm. I think the difference between it and the others is the grooves on the slide are 'deeper' more defined, and my limited grip strength handles it easily. And, it's just an all around great gun, in my limited experienced opinion. My husb likes it so much too that he kept shooting it so I told him to go get his own which he did! LOL

Good luck on your search and I hope you get a chance to try the Equalizer. It might not be for everybody but it sure answered my prayers. :)

View attachment 429796

What are your thoughts about the grip safety? I'm a 1911 guy and the one time I grabbed a gun that had a grip safety not in that platform, I squoze the trigger and it didn't fire. I re-gripped and It went off. I think it was a Smith that wasn't an EZ. I'm just real sketchy about grip safety's that aren't 1911. Is the EZ a hammer or striker fired?

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    What are your thoughts about the grip safety? I'm a 1911 guy and the one time I grabbed a gun that had a grip safety not in that platform, I squoze the trigger and it didn't fire. I re-gripped and It went off. I think it was a Smith that wasn't an EZ. I'm just real sketchy about grip safety's that aren't 1911. Is the EZ a hammer or striker fired?
    That was the surprising part about the Equalizer. I do not like grip safetys. We'd bought a S&W EZ .380 last year that has a grip safety, thinking I could rack it (I could but it was so much struggle I'd never trust my ability to get it done when needed) and it would often not fire for the reason you stated: the safety has to be 'exactly' engaged. Yeah, thanks but no thanks. So.. from then on every time I'd try on a semi-auto at a shop I wouldn't even try the ones with a grip safety. It was almost the same this time, but the guy said no, just try it - so I did - and wow. It fit my hand like a glove, my natural grip engaged the safety precisely (meaning I didn't have to work at holding it right), and I could rack it. LOL Ring it up, Sir. I got the one without the thumb safety and am pleased. Dont know about EZs but the Equalizer is striker fired. :)

Last edited:

jimbo

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    north richland hills, texas
    I just watched the video on EA's website. I'm impressed !
    Assuming you have one of those base plate loading tools, does that serve as a magazine loader as well or, or just to carry that loose round for the chamber?
    You're not done playing with yours yet are you?
    I don't have one of those baseplate tools. Too cumbersome. I carry it with one in the chamber. Very safe because you have to actually pull the double action trigger to get it started then single action happens. I like the trigger. If you lived closer, I would let you try it out.
    The Cheeta costs around $900 . I bought my MC14T for $415
    And no I am not done playing with it.:)

Pistol Pete

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2010
    Texas
    I have the EZ9, it is easy to rack the side. Easy to load mags. I had to practice gripping it to hold the grip safety down, not hard just different. I like the gun.

SARGE67

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2021
    Texas
    That was the surprising part about the Equalizer. I do not like grip safetys. We'd bought a S&W EZ .380 last year that has a grip safety, thinking I could rack it (I could but it was so much struggle I'd never trust my ability to get it done when needed) and it would often not fire for the reason you stated: the safety has to be 'exactly' engaged. Yeah, thanks but no thanks. So.. from then on every time I'd try on a semi-auto at a shop I wouldn't even try the ones with a grip safety. It was almost the same this time, but the guy said no, just try it - so I did - and wow. It fit my hand like a glove, my natural grip engaged the safety precisely (meaning I didn't have to work at holding it right), and I could rack it. LOL Ring it up, Sir. I got the one without the thumb safety and am pleased. Dont know about EZs but the Equalizer is striker fired. :)
    Being rather new to the semi world myself as you, away from revolvers, it has been a learning curve. Before I made the leap over, safety of the semi firearm was my first priority, duh. I just didn't trust them after seeing and hearing accidents with 45 acp in 'Nam. Some sounds you never forget. The grip safety was my first eyebrow raiser. I wanted something that had a thumb lever so all of mine have had that. Twas hard enough after all these years to even try and buy a semi but am ok now. What I can't understand is a few range instructors I know who swear by Glocks, saying "the trigger is the safety".
    ".

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Busy rookies
    Top Bottom