DK Firearms

Falsely charged: Good guy Paul Lathrop cleared, but a lesson for concealed carry...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Handgun World

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2011
    San Antonio
    Paul Lathrop host of the Polite Society Podcast was arrested last February. He was accused of brandishing a firearm and making terroristic threats at a Nebraska truck stop. All charges were dropped earlier this week, but he went through a tremendous ordeal to get his name cleared because of an anti gun prosecutor, clearly with an agenda. Also, the police seem to be at least part of the problem.

Paul Lathrop is my friend. He drives a truck for a living. He was also instructing a student driver when this happened. Unfortunately, his accuser won the race to call 911 and Paul spent 5 days in jail for no good reason. After spending literally thousands of dollars and 6 months clearing his name, there is a huge lesson to be learned.

Paul lost the race to call 911.

It was a mistake because the irate driver later called police and claimed that Paul threatened him and “waved a silver revolver out the window of the truck”. Even though the truth is, he had a Glock and it never left his truck. But, the accuser, established himself as the victim, even though he wasn't. Security video showed otherwise. The testimony of Paul and his student matched the video. The state only dropped the charges after Paul spent tens of thousands of dollars hiring a lawyer and repeated trips out of state to work through our legal system. Paul’s lawyer had the truck stop video to exonerate Paul. But there are also other lessons, that he explains very clearly in the interview.

Now that Paul can talk publicly, I was the first to interview him, to tell his story. It's well worth the listen.

http://www.handgunworld.com/episode...l-lathrop-speaks-publicly-for-the-first-time/
    Hurley's Gold

Last edited:

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    So what is the lesson to be learned? Always call 911? If the local DA and cops are anti-gun as you say, that can just as easily backfire on you as well. See the thread on the guy who was arrested for wearing body armor.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    So what is the lesson to be learned? Always call 911? If the local DA and cops are anti-gun as you say, that can just as easily backfire on you as well. See the thread on the guy who was arrested for wearing body armor.
    The first one to call the cops is the victim (until later when all the facts are sorted out).

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    Lesson learn? Call the cops first and have insurance to pay for you defense. This is a powerful pod cast. I will be shopping for a legal defense policy.

Thanks for sharing.

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    Doing the right thing isn't enough. A bad combo of people simply lying to try to hurt you plus an anti-gun establishment can threaten to destroy your life.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    There are many situations in life that can make it tough on you. Certainly it pays to be prepared in a situation like this, but I would have to say that it's not a normal situation. I do have insurance through a couple of the gun rights orgs. I belong to, but that doesn't mean that it wouldn't be an uphill battle through a court stacked against me. As bad as Paul's story is, I'm sure there are even worse cases. Until, if ever, people, even so called educated people, learn the truth behind guns in general and, media quits painting anyone that owns a gun as a criminal, things like this will happen.

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    One of the biggest things driven into us during my LTC course, other than the normal stuff, was that if you ever had to draw your weapon or had any confrontation where the weapon was or could have been involved, immediately call theb police and make a report! Time is critical! All it takes is one person to call in a MWAG call and you can end up in some pretty hot water. From what I was told, this happens fairly often! Perp tries to rob, mug, or otherwise cause you harm, you draw, perp runs, you go about your day, perp calls police and says you threatened him, you go to jail and have to prove your side.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Handgun World

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2011
    San Antonio
    One of the biggest things driven into us during my LTC course, other than the normal stuff, was that if you ever had to draw your weapon or had any confrontation where the weapon was or could have been involved, immediately call theb police and make a report! Time is critical! All it takes is one person to call in a MWAG call and you can end up in some pretty hot water. From what I was told, this happens fairly often! Perp tries to rob, mug, or otherwise cause you harm, you draw, perp runs, you go about your day, perp calls police and says you threatened him, you go to jail and have to prove your side.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

This happens more than people might think. My biggest question when interviewing Paul about it was why did the county deputies automatically arrest, without asking questions or investigating anything. The highway patrol did.

Top Bottom