• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jcummings01

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Hi guys! I'm fairly new to the forum. I've had a membership for a while but am only recently becoming more active in the discussion boards. If someone has already posted a thread like this can you possibly direct me to it?

I live in Houston and have been doing more and more reading on keeping an Individual First Aid Kit in my gun bag. Any recommendations on where I can get a good one in Houston or on line? Thanks and safe shooting!
    Hurley's Gold

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    I keep a Chinook Medical Individual Operator Kit with a 35g pouch of Celox in my shooting box. Comes with me to every match and range trip.
    Has everything I need to treat a gunshot wound.

Individual Operator Kit (TMK-IO) | www.chinookmed.com---------------

I've also got a pretty good firstaid kit in my truck to address issues not having to do with shooting yourself...

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    I also keep a small kit in my chest harness for running drills and classes. It's got trauma shears, SOF Tactical Tourniquet, 6" Israeli Emergency Bandange and a 15g pouch of Celox. Gives me enough for immediate care of hemorrhaging and time to get everything under control should I or someone else get shot.

CPTKILLER

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Gatesville, TX
    A part-time First Responder who works at Shell in West Houston always recommended Kotex Pads as good sanitary pad for severe bleeding, not unlike the bandages I carried as a GI.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    I would not buy a kit. Most of the time they are stocked with junk pads and band aids.
    What do you see yourself using and what do you have the skill to use?
    You should build your own and stick it with your stuff. Bandaid brand bandages are 10 times better than generic. Betadine is better than an alcohol wipe etc.
    Celox dressing is better than granules because it can be removed with less trauma. Some tourniquets are one time use only and some break when they are tightened. You will need to practice to use one effectively so you don't want to get one that breaks. To put one on properly it must be tightened enough to stop the pulse below the tourniquet and a stethoscope will tell you when this happens. One that you can put on one handed is better.

As for survival type stuff you can go overboard but you can also get by with a roll of toilet paper and a roll of duct tape or electrical tape.

Top Bottom