• ...and so much more!
  • Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    I’ve built every single AR I’ve ever owned. The only real decisions to make are large frame or small frame and gas or piston. ARs are fairly simply and keeping it to small frame makes it pretty fool proof regardless of caliber. Even just assembling an AP lower with LaRue MBT and throwing a complete BCM upper on it gets you far more quality then buying a complete budget AR for close to the same money.

The EAB homebuilt argument is a non-sequitur; nothing about flying an aircraft translates to building, whether it’s plans built or kit built, and whether you have a PPL or an ATP certificate.
    I have a few ARs in the safe that I assembled. Some I'm happy with the results, however and lack of knowledge and inexperience also allowed some less than ideal results. I also have several handguns from years ago sitting in the safe, that I would not purchase today.
    Target Sports

Last edited:

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Hello everyone! I’m looking to make my first AR purchase. There’s so many competitors out there I just really can’t decide what to get. Does anyone have any recommendations from their personal experiences? Since it’s my first I want it to be “affordable” but obviously don’t want it to be crap. OR would any of y’all recommend building your first AR before purchasing one? Or is it better just to get one and learn about the parts and all that and then build one later down the line?
    For your first, unless of course money is no object, I would suggest a mid level AR Like a S&W or a Windham Weaponry, or something along that line. If you're like me, you'll probably end up switching out the trigger. Not that they are bad, just that there are much smoother triggers out there. If you get into building your own, watch out, it's addictive.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Even if you start with something super basic and budget friendly, these thing are literally Legos and anything can be changed out to any other configuration. I'd figure out your budget for just the rifle, then an optic and start shopping for something you like. If you figure out down the line you don't like something about it upgrade as you figure it out.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Purchased different stocks and barrels than I should have.

Curious. What was your original barrel choice and what was less than ideal about it? I’m assuming 5.56, but correct me if that’s wrong.

The first 5.56 I built used a no name, fluted, no-dimple 16” 1:8 twist barrel because it was on sale and I thought it would look cool.

Using 62gr sp, it still works well enough to qualify on a USAF CRCQ which is a kitted up day/night COF out to 300yd, but I usually shoot 77gr and that changes the equation just enough that a 1:7 barrel would make the difference on a bad day qualifying.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    Curious. What was your original barrel choice and what was less than ideal about it? I’m assuming 5.56, but correct me if that’s wrong.

The first 5.56 I built used a no name, fluted, no-dimple 16” 1:8 twist barrel because it was on sale and I thought it would look cool.

Using 62gr sp, it still works well enough to qualify on a USAF CRCQ which is a kitted up day/night COF out to 300yd, but I usually shoot 77gr and that changes the equation just enough that a 1:7 barrel would make the difference on a bad day qualifying
    It's been several years and I don't recall the details other than the purchase was from Palmetto State Armory. I recall having to send the bolt back for a replacement but not much else. I haven't yet unpacked my gun and reloading records since moving last year. Don't know how I ever had time to get anything done when I was working. :laughing:

alternative

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2023
    Texas
    I have a Colt 6920 and am happy with it. For those that build their own, don't you need to buy a bunch of tools such as go-no go gauges, special wrenches, etc? Seems like unless you are planning on building a bunch you have a pretty good investment in tools.

SARGE67

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2021
    Texas
    I still don't get the love affair or desire for an AR. I trained an entire summer in 1967 with an M-14 in Marine Boot Camp but then issued a full semi/auto M-16 once I was in Vietnam shoved into my hands to fire every day on patrol . Shooting full auto ain't cool after the first burst, btw. Maybe it's the design of the AR nowadays, the bad ass look that attracts folks, I don't know about that. But being light weight back then in the jungle was nice for sure and a bullet placed was up to you. Full auto sucked for sure and a waste of valuable ammo. I have no desire for an AR.

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I still don't get the love affair or desire for an AR. I trained an entire summer in 1967 with an M-14 in Marine Boot Camp but then issued a full semi/auto M-16 once I was in Vietnam shoved into my hands to fire every day on patrol . Shooting full auto ain't cool after the first burst, btw. Maybe it's the design of the AR nowadays, the bad ass look that attracts folks, I don't know about that. But being light weight back then in the jungle was nice for sure and a bullet placed was up to you. Full auto sucked for sure and a waste of valuable ammo. I have no desire for an AR.

Its lightweight, accurate, reliable, cheap, and they're everywhere.

You can have an itty bitty mk18, push out 2 pins, and have a super accurate SPR. One single lower allows you to shoot anything from .17hmr to .50BMG

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    PSA is underrated in my humble opinion, snag a complete rifle and start shooting it, you'll figure out what you want pretty quickly.

As someone who recently went through this, I completely agree with this recommendation.

Without knowing specifically what the OP is looking for, or how much he has to spend, it's difficult to determine what is "best."

Even knowing all that, opinions will vary.

If he is just looking to enter the AR market at a reasonable price, Palmetto State Armory is probably the best option.

Yes, ARs can be "built," but for a newcoming to the platform I would say get a basic rifle and learn about it and modify it to find out what you really want out of an AR.

However, if you are planning to go fight in Ukraine or some other war zone, then maybe spending a bit more money would make more sense!

I suspect that's not the case here!

jetcycles

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Shoreacres, TX
    I spend a fair amount of time reading forums/reddit/playboy and I see this type of post regularly...newer shooter interested in X platform, so they've started reading but are soon overwhelmed with data, much of which is pure regurgitated opinion! Honestly my best advice these days is buy a commonplace sample with a company that stands behind it, snag half a dozen magazines and just get out and shoot the damn thing. I'm a heavy reader and a hard learner and I know for a fact that rounds downrange will teach a shooter more than almost all other sources of data combined. Grab a blem PSA, a Romeo 5 and a foreign made quick adjust two point sling from Amazon and put the work in. This PSA will perform the "first AR" role all day long and you can offload it for $400 or keep it for spare parts when you think you need to upgrade. I realize I'm just another guy on the Internet with an opinion, but my opinion has tens of thousands of rounds downrange behind it and I would absolutely not hesitate to run the rifle linked below.

Edited to add: I have rifles that cost more than my daily driver and I have quite a few PSA uppers in various configurations that cost $300 shipped to my door, they all serve a role. I am a MASSIVE fan of finding the point of diminishing return on my investments. I'm not going to spend too much time trying to convince anyone where to spend their money, but I am currently testing some Expo Arms (who???) components and I am freaking SOLD when it comes to performance per $$$. I run my gun and my mouth, PA's house brand is solid gear wearing peasant clothing.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

red442joe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2022
    Michigan
    I spend a fair amount of time reading forums/reddit/playboy and I see this type of post regularly...newer shooter interested in X platform, so they've started reading but are soon overwhelmed with data, much of which is pure regurgitated opinion! Honestly my best advice these days is buy a commonplace sample with a company that stands behind it, snag half a dozen magazines and just get out and shoot the damn thing. I'm a heavy reader and a hard learner and I know for a fact that rounds downrange will teach a shooter more than almost all other sources of data combined. Grab a blem PSA, a Romeo 5 and a foreign made quick adjust two point sling from Amazon and put the work in. This PSA will perform the "first AR" role all day long and you can offload it for $400 or keep it for spare parts when you think you need to upgrade. I realize I'm just another guy on the Internet with an opinion, but my opinion has tens of thousands of rounds downrange behind it and I would absolutely not hesitate to run the rifle linked below.

Edited to add: I have rifles that cost more than my daily driver and I have quite a few PSA uppers in various configurations that cost $300 shipped to my door, they all serve a role. I am a MASSIVE fan of finding the point of diminishing return on my investments. I'm not going to spend too much time trying to convince anyone where to spend their money, but I am currently testing some Expo Arms (who???) components and I am freaking SOLD when it comes to performance per $$$. I run my gun and my mouth, PA's house brand is solid gear wearing peasant clothing.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
    ^^^
    Whers's Morgan Freeman??

Joe

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    Hello everyone! I’m looking to make my first AR purchase. There’s so many competitors out there I just really can’t decide what to get. Does anyone have any recommendations from their personal experiences? Since it’s my first I want it to be “affordable” but obviously don’t want it to be crap. OR would any of y’all recommend building your first AR before purchasing one? Or is it better just to get one and learn about the parts and all that and then build one later down the line?

First off, what is your budget?

DaBull

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 19, 2021
    San Antonio, TX
    Quality budget ARs like PSA are so cheap that I think it makes sense to run and experiment with one before deciding exactly what you want in terms of caliber and accessories. At some point, you can buy or build the "one" and it only cost you a $400 test bed. If you move on to another hobby, you can sell it for almost what you paid (assuming little used and abused).

Here's a PSA for $380 before shipping and tax:

Good Red Dot for another $80

GarandThumb on YouTube has a long video where he shoots a PSA AR to failure.

Last edited:

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Its lightweight, accurate, reliable, cheap, and they're everywhere.

You can have an itty bitty mk18, push out 2 pins, and have a super accurate SPR. One single lower allows you to shoot anything from .17hmr to .50BMG
    No way in hell would I ever consider an AR lower for use with a .50 BMG. Even with the best muzzle brake the recoil has to be bad on the lower.

When I had my benchrest.50 BMG built I went with a single shot .vs magazine fed for the strength of the receiver.

Top Bottom