• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    The current state of things after today: got a good start on the bevel and got the pin holes for the handle drilled (which only cost me 3 drill bits...)

20230529_200334.jpg 20230529_200522.jpg

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    OK, so I'm working on getting a grinding video finished and posted. First step...import 18 video files taken over the past 3 months from my phone, sort them, and winnow them down to a hopefully entertaining 15 minutes. Should be plenty of room here to make fun of myself and the long, drawn out process of grinding the Bonechopper flat and starting the bevel.

Gordo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2023
    San Antonio
    Where are you getting your belts from?
    I get mine from McMaster-Carr, and they are always here the next day.

Are you using something special?

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Where are you getting your belts from?
    I get mine from McMaster-Carr, and they are always here the next day.

Are you using something special?

I've have good results with Combat Abrasives belts, at least on other knife projects. The ceramic stock removal belts - 40, 60 and 80 grit - get the rough work done with final shaping, flattening out hammermarks, and starting the bevel, then I move on to the aluminum oxide finer grit belts for finishing.

The Bonechopper eats everything I throw at it. Something about this particular steel has made it a real challenge to work with. I've annealed it twice, even.

jamesmrj

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    Cypress, TX
    Not meaning to hijack your thread, Zod, but i thought this was the best place to post and yall might appreciate it.

This past weekend, my dad gave me a knife that his uncle Frank made back in the '50s or '60 while he was managing a copper mine in Chile. The blade is approximately 9" with 15" oal. Leather stacked handle (minor deterioration due to the age) with brass guard and pommel. The guard and pommel are also inlaid with 11 Chilean coins. Very well balanced and nothing has loosened up, and it was still pretty damned sharp.

uf-knife1-jpg.401545
    UF Knife2.jpg
    UF Knife3.jpg
    UF Knife4.jpg
    UF Knife5.jpg

Attachments

• UF Knife1.jpg
      UF Knife1.jpg
      452.1 KB · Views: 103

glenbo

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon
    I have a proposition for you, GZ. I want 2 knives, possibly 3, with very strict parameters all full tang. The first 2 would be a guthook and skinner, and a close copy of the Kbar Marine knife. Both full tang, scales to be determined later. The third would be a small knife of about 3" blade. I have something I can provide a full photo of on that one. I'm thinking these would run well into 4 figures. If you're interested, please email me at glenbo02@gmail.com.

Top Bottom