• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • popsgarland

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    DFW area
    I'm not much of a gardener, but I really try.

279085130_503939811515963_2120039068839938059_n.jpg

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Planted 8 more asparagus plants yesterday.
    There's a few tomatoes coming in (grape tomatoes), peach tree has a bunch of fruit that looks to be about quarter size so far.
    Apple tree has a few apples appearing now.

2ManyGuns

Revolver's, get one, shoot the snot out of it!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    The green beans, pole, and bush are putting on beans, picked my first meal of yellow squash, and the zucchini are blooming like mad and I see one about 4 inches long. The cucumbers have "fruit" from 1 inch to 6 inches, the largest are about a quarter in diameter, I will be eating some cucumber salad very soon. The vines are loaded this year! Hopefully I will have time to make some pickles. Tomatoes are blooming, no fruit yet.

I have had a bumper crop of black and gray with orange fuzzy hair worms this year! The snails are under control after judicious use of slug and snail bait, I just could not make myself waste even bad beer as snail bait... LOL!

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    The green beans, pole, and bush are putting on beans, picked my first meal of yellow squash, and the zucchini are blooming like mad and I see one about 4 inches long. The cucumbers have "fruit" from 1 inch to 6 inches, the largest are about a quarter in diameter, I will be eating some cucumber salad very soon. The vines are loaded this year! Hopefully I will have time to make some pickles. Tomatoes are blooming, no fruit yet.

I have had a bumper crop of black and gray with orange fuzzy hair worms this year! The snails are under control after judicious use of slug and snail bait, I just could not make myself waste even bad beer as snail bait... LOL!
    Use ‘’Modelo”.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    Most of my current planting is is 60 tomato plants because my SIL wants to can some this year. Otherwise, my patio peaches and figs are showing signs of fruit, my grape vine has lots of fruit coming, and the blackberries planted last year have some fruit on the way.

Attachments

• IMG_7835.jpeg
      IMG_7835.jpeg
      472.6 KB · Views: 12
    • IMG_7830.jpeg
      IMG_7830.jpeg
      585.7 KB · Views: 11
    • IMG_7828.jpeg
      IMG_7828.jpeg
      404.4 KB · Views: 10
    • IMG_7825.jpeg
      IMG_7825.jpeg
      471 KB · Views: 11
    • IMG_7824.jpeg
      IMG_7824.jpeg
      369.5 KB · Views: 14
    • IMG_7823.jpeg
      IMG_7823.jpeg
      671.4 KB · Views: 13
    • IMG_7822.jpeg
      IMG_7822.jpeg
      683.3 KB · Views: 12
    • IMG_7821.jpeg
      IMG_7821.jpeg
      675.3 KB · Views: 12
    • IMG_7820.jpeg
      IMG_7820.jpeg
      718.8 KB · Views: 13
    • IMG_7819.jpeg
      IMG_7819.jpeg
      507.3 KB · Views: 12

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    I found some very old corn seed in my freezer and planted some of them, from 2011, last year I planted some okra seeds from the same container and it germinated at about 85%. I also planted some more swiss chard.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    We got hammered with hail around midnight last night. I was wondering if my tomatoes would make it through the storm. So far, they look beat up but still alive. Hope they recover quickly

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    We got hammered with hail around midnight last night. I was wondering if my tomatoes would make it through the storm. So far, they look beat up but still alive. Hope they recover quickly
    Take a pair of scissors, prune some of the limbs from the tomato plants, trim the leaves from the large stem and place about 8 inches into the ground. The little hairs will root, now you can start some backup, later season plants without having to buy more tomato plants. I had several hit by gophers, they ate most of the roots off, trimmed the leaves so I had about 8 inches of stalk left and planted. Watered well, they all survived and are now blooming.

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    I dug up the earliest planted potato bed 20' L X 4' W X 15" D. There were 60 to 65 plants here and I filled 2 5-gallon buckets to being overfilled. And I lost that I am aware of 12 baseball size potatoes to the damn gophers, these were partially eaten. Overall I am happy with this planting, now I think I will plant half with corn and half with okra.

The bed had a mix of Yukon gold, russets, and red potatoes planted, each performed well for the number of plants of each variety.

1911'S 4 Me

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2018
    Humble
    I dug up the earliest planted potato bed 20' L X 4' W X 15" D. There were 60 to 65 plants here and I filled 2 5-gallon buckets to being overfilled. And I lost that I am aware of 12 baseball size potatoes to the damn gophers, these were partially eaten. Overall I am happy with this planting, now I think I will plant half with corn and half with okra.

The bed had a mix of Yukon gold, russets, and red potatoes planted, each performed well for the number of plants of each variety.
    I enjoy your gardening stories.

Last edited:

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels

Love to see pics….

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    Here you go Buzz

I didn't have any fresh garlic and I wasn't going to drive 20 miles to town to pick some up, I got carried away with the granulated garlic in the pickles, oh well, ain't hurtin' nutin'.

Small Batch canning.jpg

You can see some of the red taters, everything else is at the bottom, I am going to finish sorting them and let them cure, but it is time for a couple of beers before I do that. There are a few that I damaged when digging, those will be separated to use first, these were grown from potatoes saved from last fall so this year I did not need to buy seed potatoes, hopefully, I can do the same for the fall season.

Where the taters were planted I decided to go with Golden Bantam Corn, I planted 134 seeds, if these follow the germination rate as the earlier planting, I should have a few over 100 sprouts.

April 2024 Taters.jpg

Top Bottom