• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SidewaysTA

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2011
    CSTX
    Well, not Antarctica proper but the Ross Sea. My job takes me all over the world but this will be an interesting expedition so I thought I'd share this one. Anyone want some souvenir ice? :D

http://iodp.tamu.edu/scienceops/expeditions/ross_sea_ice_sheet_history.html

The screen cap below shows our planned route from Lyttleton, NZ to the Ross Sea.
    JR1_zpsj3vlbb0z.jpg

SidewaysTA

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2011
    CSTX
    I provide IT services and support on our research vessel, JOIDES Resolution. Everything from Server/Network Administrator to end user support.

I'll be updating this thread with pics once we get on site, assuming we still have internet access. ;) I've been experiencing some interruptions in service already and we are just a couple days out of port.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Keep the cold in Antarctica, had enough of that already. It would be a cool experience, although a lot of nothing in between, I'll wait for the movie. Safe trip!

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    WHAT IS THE JOIDES RESOLUTION?

"The JOIDES Resolution (JR) is a research vessel that drills into the ocean floor to collect and study core samples. Scientists use data from the JR to better understand climate change, geology and Earth’s history. It is a part of the International Ocean Discovery Program and is funded by the National Science Foundation."

http://joidesresolution.org/current-location-of-the-jr/

Lots more at http://joidesresolution.org/

SidewaysTA

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2011
    CSTX
    Here's a couple of pics to start.

Looking down at Lyttleton, NZ. It is summer here and they are in a drought I'm told. It looks like Texas except for the mountains of course. The weather is weird though, it was fairly cool and windy here even though doesn't look like it. It also rained almost a full day while we were there, not hard but steady. Auckland, where I flew into, was much hotter.

Bridle%20Path_JR_zpshpsfa1ky.jpg

On the other side of the mountains is Christchurch. I stayed here while waiting for the JR to arrive. This town was heavily damaged in the big quake of 2011 and you can still see ruins all over. I'll post more pics of that later.

Christchurch_pan3_zps9ptq5kar.jpg

This is a shot from the mountains looking down at the JR being towed to the fueling pier to begin bunkering fuel.

IMGP3923_en_zps8ovgfpnw.jpg

SidewaysTA

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2011
    CSTX
    Some of both. Mostly regular stuff, they try to cater to the different cultures on board. They also serve big meals on special occasions that can be quite extravagant. Occasionally some fish might commit suicide and the galley crew have no choice but to serve it up. Fresh tuna yummy! ;)

Here's a Christmas meal from a couple of years ago (The last Christmas expedition I worked).

_C8U9399_zpsrzelvsll.jpg

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    setter1
    Top Bottom