Lynx Defense

Grammar Nazis - Usually Bad, Sometimes Necessary?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    OK, talking on a forum is like conversation. We flub words and we don't need grammar nazis correcting every jot and tittle.

OTOH, it would be nice if professional journalists (well, headline writers) could achieve minimal English language competence.

BadEdit_zps8cba172a.jpg

Stuff like this really irritates me.

When, in y'all's opinion, is the line crossed when misspellings and grammar mistakes rise past being ignorable and create unforgivable obfuscation?

I'd nominate leet-speak and most texting abbreviations. Further examples encouraged.
    Lynx Defense

digitaltrip

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    Mesquite
    OK, talking on a forum is like conversation. We flub words and we don't need grammar nazis correcting every jot and tittle.

OTOH, it would be nice if professional journalists (well, headline writers) could achieve minimal English language competence.

BadEdit_zps8cba172a.jpg

Stuff like this really irritates me.

When, in y'all's opinion, is the line crossed when misspellings and grammar mistakes rise past being ignorable and create unforgivable obfuscation?

I'd nominate 1337-speak and most texting abbreviations. Further examples encouraged.

Fify

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    I've learned to accept most grammar errors when it comes to forums and such.

I hate seeing job postings with spelling and grammatical errors.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    i read in a USA today this morning that a particular fighter squadron is "in the mists of training"

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Folks can write or speak any way they desire. Conversation is generally perceived to mirror a person's intelligence. Old farts like me generally feel the reasons for someone butchering conversation can be; stupidity, ignorance, laziness, attempting to be "cool", expediency, or just plain dumbass idiocy. 'Just my take on it. Oh well.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    i read in a USA today this morning that a particular fighter squadron is "in the mists of training"
    Was that online or in a print version?

If it was a print version then it's particularly depressing. Those are supposed to still have copy editors.

GlockOwner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Dallas (Oak Cliff)
    I got on the Mensa website to see if they had practice exams, cause I wanted to see how difficult it would be. At the bottom of their home page, they have text reading:

We offer 2 ways to practise:

I was thinking, "This is pathetic! A 'High IQ' club can't spell on their own website!". Then I looked it up, and over in the UK, "practise" is the verb version of the word, while "practice" is the noun version (eg. a doctor's practice).

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    I got on the Mensa website to see if they had practice exams, cause I wanted to see how difficult it would be. At the bottom of their home page, they have text reading:

We offer 2 ways to practise:

I was thinking, "This is pathetic! A 'High IQ' club can't spell on their own website!". Then I looked it up, and over in the UK, "practise" is the verb version of the word, while "practice" is the noun version (eg. a doctor's practice).

I'm a member of Mensa (top 2%) and of Intertel (top 1%). What does that tell you?

Top Bottom