• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dalto

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2010
    Austin
    So I tried out a set of those electronic hearing protectors at the range today and I was thinking of getting a pair.

For those of you that have them is a there significant difference between the $300 set at Cabellas and the $50 set at walmart? If so, are there any you have used and recommend?

Thanks.
    Venture Surplus ad

Rum Runner

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Plano
    Before you do that check out surefire's Sonic Defenders... You may not need to spend more than $20.00
    SureFire EP3 Sonic Defenders - Medium

16 NRR? Eww...err..pass.

If I recall reasnoably well, you do not want to be exposed to >85db for a full work day. The amount of exposure decreases until you get to around 120db where you never want it for any length of time. Gunfire I think is like 130db to 160db. So if you are shooting a loud gun, even the best on the market 30NRR+ may not be quite enough. With an average gun, most of your 20NRR to 30+NRR are enough. 16NRR?? maybe if you only shoot 22s. And preemptively I will state that while wearing earplugs AND earmufs is better than either alone, it is not addative, i.e. 20NRR plugs+30NRR muffs does not equal 50NRR. Probably get like 25% benefit from the lessor or the two.

Warning: While the above numbers are not entirely pulled out of my rear, they may be off a bit. Focus on the point not the exact numbers.

PopsXD9sc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Longview
    The Howard Leight Impact Sports are good as are the Caldwell electronic muffs and neither will break the bank. Peltor Tac 6S are just a few dollars more and work great as well.

dalto

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2010
    Austin
    Range report, please! :)
    For outdoor range work I like the Impact Sports. Cuts back the gunfire noise while letting you hear everything else going on around you.

At the indoor range they are not enough. You will want something with better sound reduction.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Don't waste your money on those way overpriced Pro Ear Gold or whatever they're called muffs that are ~$300 at Cabela's. They aren't that great. Some that Cabela's has that are awesome for the money are the Peltor Tactical Sports. Those are about $120, stereo sound, excellent quality. Mine run awesome and have had incredible battery life. I think it says it all that I can walk around all day at events and shoots and completely forget I'm wearing them. ;) If you don't mind spending a bit more for the best, consider some MSA Sordins and you will have something that will last you through anything:

MSA Sordin Supreme Pro Ear Muffs

kaiserb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Mansfield, Texas
    16 NRR? Eww...err..pass.

If I recall reasnoably well, you do not want to be exposed to >85db for a full work day. The amount of exposure decreases until you get to around 120db where you never want it for any length of time. Gunfire I think is like 130db to 160db. So if you are shooting a loud gun, even the best on the market 30NRR+ may not be quite enough. With an average gun, most of your 20NRR to 30+NRR are enough. 16NRR?? maybe if you only shoot 22s. And preemptively I will state that while wearing earplugs AND earmufs is better than either alone, it is not addative, i.e. 20NRR plugs+30NRR muffs does not equal 50NRR. Probably get like 25% benefit from the lessor or the two.

Warning: While the above numbers are not entirely pulled out of my rear, they may be off a bit. Focus on the point not the exact numbers.

OSHA 1910.95(b)(2)
    If the variations in noise level involve maxima at intervals of 1 second or less, it is to be considered continuous.

TABLE G-16 - PERMISSIBLE NOISE EXPOSURES (1)
    | Duration per day, hours | Sound level dBA slow response |
    8...........................| 90
    6...........................| 92
    4...........................| 95
    3...........................| 97
    2...........................| 100
    1 1/2 ......................| 102
    1...........................| 105
    1/2 ........................| 110
    1/4 or less................| 115
    ____________________________|________________________________
    Footnote(1) When the daily noise exposure is composed of two or more periods of noise exposure of different levels, their combined effect should be considered, rather than the individual effect of each. If the sum of the following fractions: C(1)/T(1) + C(2)/T(2) C(n)/T(n) exceeds unity, then, the mixed exposure should be considered to exceed the limit value. Cn indicates the total time of exposure at a specified noise level, and Tn indicates the total time of exposure permitted at that level. Exposure to impulsive or impact noise should not exceed 140 dB peak sound pressure level.​

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Don't waste your money on those way overpriced Pro Ear Gold or whatever they're called muffs that are ~$300 at Cabela's. They aren't that great. Some that Cabela's has that are awesome for the money are the Peltor Tactical Sports. Those are about $120, stereo sound, excellent quality. Mine run awesome and have had incredible battery life. I think it says it all that I can walk around all day at events and shoots and completely forget I'm wearing them. ;) If you don't mind spending a bit more for the best, consider some MSA Sordins and you will have something that will last you through anything:

MSA Sordin Supreme Pro Ear Muffs

Might work nice, but $250 & only 18db NR.....

Top Bottom