• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Finally found a 1911 that I shoot well and it happens to be my wifes anniversary gift to me, a Colt Competition in 9mm. The key turned out to be aggressive checkering on the front strap ($14 wilson combat front strap) and msh ($25 on ebay for all steel 25 lpi).

I have an astigmatism so shooting pistol irons will always be a challenge but this is probably the best pistol shooting I have ever achieved. 50 round box at 10 yards
    IMG_7208.jpeg

I am really enjoying this foray into the 1911 world. I think it is a challenge to shoot them for me and it has brought me back to basic marksmanship skills. I feel like the plastic fantastics are a bit more forgiving with bad trigger pulls. One thing I noticed with the checkering in place is that under rapid fire the pistol stays anchored in my hand. Outstanding!

I finished off another box with strings of rapid fire
    IMG_7204.jpeg

Next stop, Dan Wesson in .45?
    Texas SOT

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    Finally found a 1911 that I shoot well and it happens to be my wifes anniversary gift to me, a Colt Competition in 9mm. The key turned out to be aggressive checkering on the front strap ($14 wilson combat front strap) and msh ($25 on ebay for all steel 25 lpi).

One thing I noticed with the checkering in place is that under rapid fire the pistol stays anchored in my hand. Outstanding!
    Congrats, on the anniversary too.

One of my favorite pistols ever shot was a new release Sig Scorpion. Straps and grips were very aggressively checkered. Thinking of a SHTF situation, you better grab that pistol with the right orientation cuz it ain't gonna move, I don't care how bloody your hand was.

Reactions: MTA

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Way to go, welcome to the 1911 club.
    92x compact is still my favorite. I really need to stop procrastinating and order the damn np3 langdon TJIAB already
    Congrats, on the anniversary too.

One of my favorite pistols ever shot was a new release Sig Scorpion. Straps and grips were very aggressively checkered. Thinking of a SHTF situation, you better grab that pistol with the right orientation cuz it ain't gonna move, I don't care how bloody your hand was.
    Its funny you mention the Sig Scorpion. I dont care for new Sigs, but their 1911s are very appealing to me. Did you own it or you just came across the opportunity to shoot someones?

I think any 1911 I buy from this point forward will need to have a checkered frontstrap. It makes all the difference and prevents me from having to slap on the nasty rubber hogue grip.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Nice! Let me know what handgun you plan on selling or trading now that you have the colt. Lol

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine

I have an astigmatism so shooting pistol irons will always be a challenge but this is probably the best pistol shooting I have ever achieved. 50 round box at 10 yards
    View attachment 404660

I am really enjoying this foray into the 1911 world. I think it is a challenge to shoot them for me and it has brought me back to basic marksmanship skills. I feel like the plastic fantastics are a bit more forgiving with bad trigger pulls. One thing I noticed with the checkering in place is that under rapid fire the pistol stays anchored in my hand. Outstanding!

I finished off another box with strings of rapid fire
    View attachment 404670

Next stop, Dan Wesson in .45?
    <>

Looks that you are doing very, very well !

<>

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    Its funny you mention the Sig Scorpion. I dont care for new Sigs, but their 1911s are very appealing to me. Did you own it or you just came across the opportunity to shoot someones?

I think any 1911 I buy from this point forward will need to have a checkered frontstrap. It makes all the difference and prevents me from having to slap on the nasty rubber hogue grip.
    He hasn't been here since Aug '17 so you may not remember AaronP220, it was his Scorpion bought when they 1st hit the streets. I've mentioned early release twice because years later, I shot a different Scorpion that looked the same but the straps and grips texture just didn't seem as aggressive as Aaron's. Maybe it was just a situational memory.

After shooting many friends guns and finally deciding to get my 1st, and still only 1911, I knew I wanted a double stack with aggressively checkered straps & grips. I'm still happy with my Para 14-45.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    He hasn't been here since Aug '17 so you may not remember AaronP220, it was his Scorpion bought when they 1st hit the streets. I've mentioned early release twice because years later, I shot a different Scorpion that looked the same but the straps and grips texture just didn't seem as aggressive as Aaron's. Maybe it was just a situational memory.

After shooting many friends guns and finally deciding to get my 1st, and still only 1911, I knew I wanted a double stack with aggressively checkered straps & grips. I'm still happy with my Para 14-45.
    I had a double stack para that I sold to @toddnjoyce

Bonehead move on my part

Top Bottom