• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Headed out to the gun show in Cedar Rapids… hope to be able to examine and shoulder at least two or three of the four I’m considering

called all my LGSs and no one has one

my choice is ordering online or seeing if I can find one at the gun show
    The Weatherby Vanguard is the same as the Howa 1500. The Weatherby has a nicer bolt shroud on all and trigger depending on years of manufature. Everything is 100% compatible for the two.
    Side note: if you see a Bergara check it out as well.
    Capitol Armory ad

Last edited:

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Savage guy myself but there are many good options out there.

You either love the Accutrigger or hate it. If you love it you'll never need to upgrade.

I always recommend a fully adjustable stock mainly because standard style hunting stocks don't fit me well.

For targets the thicker the barrel the better.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    The Weatherby Vanguard is the same as the Hoaw 1500. The Weatherby has a nicer bolt shroud on all and trigger depending on years of manufature. Everything is 100% compatible for the two.
    Side note: if you see a Bergara check it out as well.
    I was going to add Bergara to the list as well.

Seriously though, unless money is no object, research is your friend.

Iowashooter

Bitter Clinger
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2024
    Iowa
    I decided to try the Ruger... $532 + tax was my price

Now to find a scope I like

Here's a pic of the rifle and the specs

20240316_124923.jpg

Ruger American Gen II Standard Model

MODEL NUMBER: 46909

CALIBER: 223 REM

Stock Gray Splatter Gen II American

Barrel Fluting Spiral

Barrel Length 20"

Barrel Finish Gun Metal Gray Cerakote

Thread Pattern 1/2"-28

Capacity 10

Magazine Type AR-Style

Sights None-Picatinny Scope Base

Material Alloy Steel

Weight 6.5 lb.

Twist1:8" RH

Overall Length 41.25"

Length of Pull 12" - 13.75"

Grooves 5

UPC 7-36676-46909-3

Suggested Retail $729.00

Splatter finished stock provides excellent grip without being too sharp or abrasive.

Soft rubber recoil pad features a large radius on the heel for easy shouldering and improved geometry that progressively collapses to reduce felt recoil.

Removing the installed spacer allows for length of pull to be adjusted from 13.75" to 12". Additional spacers of varying sizes for a more refined fit are available at ShopRuger.com.

Installed low comb improves sight alignment when using magnified optics but can be removed when utilizing low-mounted sights. More comb options are available at ShopRuger.com to further refine the fit.

Professionally applied Cerakote coating on barrel, muzzle brake, receiver and bolt handle results in a durable, easy-to-maintain finish.

Medium contour barrel features deep spiral flutes that reduce weight at the muzzle end of the barrel to improve balance without sacrificing stiffness or accuracy.

Threaded barrel with factory-installed radial port muzzle brake is cold hammer-forged, resulting in ultra-precise rifling that provides exceptional accuracy and longevity.

Intuitive three-position tang safety locks the bolt, preventing inadvertent bolt opening while allowing the rifle to be loaded with the safety engaged.

Ruger Marksman Adjustable™ trigger offers a crisp release with a pull weight that is user-adjustable between 3 and 5 pounds.

Patented Power Bedding™ integral bedding block system positively locates the receiver and free-floats the barrel for outstanding accuracy.

The one-piece bolt is CNC machined from stainless steel for smooth operation and the familiar three-lug design with 70° throw provides ample scope clearance.

Oversized bolt handle for positive bolt manipulation, with a 5/16"-24 thread pattern for easy replacement.

Factory-installed, one-piece Picatinny scope base.

Available accessory stock weight kit adds up to 1.6 pounds to the butt of the rifle to absorb recoil and improve the rifle's balance when utilizing heavier muzzle devices. Weight kit available on ShopRuger.com.

Also includes: one magazine; steel sling swivel studs.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas

View attachment 440938

Barrel Fluting Spiral

Barrel Length 20"

Thread Pattern 1/2"-28

Capacity 10

Magazine Type AR-Style

Material Alloy Steel

Weight 6.5 lb.

Overall Length 41.25"

Grooves 5

UPC 7-36676-46909-3

Suggested Retail $729.00

Splatter finished stock provides excellent grip without being too sharp or abrasive.

Soft rubber recoil pad features a large radius on the heel for easy shouldering and improved geometry that progressively collapses to reduce felt recoil.

Removing the installed spacer allows for length of pull to be adjusted from 13.75" to 12". Additional spacers of varying sizes for a more refined fit are available at ShopRuger.com.

Installed low comb improves sight alignment when using magnified optics but can be removed when utilizing low-mounted sights. More comb options are available at ShopRuger.com to further refine the fit.

Professionally applied Cerakote coating on barrel, muzzle brake, receiver and bolt handle results in a durable, easy-to-maintain finish.

Medium contour barrel features deep spiral flutes that reduce weight at the muzzle end of the barrel to improve balance without sacrificing stiffness or accuracy.

Threaded barrel with factory-installed radial port muzzle brake is cold hammer-forged, resulting in ultra-precise rifling that provides exceptional accuracy and longevity.

Intuitive three-position tang safety locks the bolt, preventing inadvertent bolt opening while allowing the rifle to be loaded with the safety engaged.

Ruger Marksman Adjustable™ trigger offers a crisp release with a pull weight that is user-adjustable between 3 and 5 pounds.

Patented Power Bedding™ integral bedding block system positively locates the receiver and free-floats the barrel for outstanding accuracy.

The one-piece bolt is CNC machined from stainless steel for smooth operation and the familiar three-lug design with 70° throw provides ample scope clearance.

Oversized bolt handle for positive bolt manipulation, with a 5/16"-24 thread pattern for easy replacement.

Available accessory stock weight kit adds up to 1.6 pounds to the butt of the rifle to absorb recoil and improve the rifle's balance when utilizing heavier muzzle devices. Weight kit available on ShopRuger.com.

Good deal now buy at lest two more magazines for it.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....

View attachment 440938

Barrel Fluting Spiral

Barrel Length 20"

Thread Pattern 1/2"-28

Capacity 10

Magazine Type AR-Style

Material Alloy Steel

Weight 6.5 lb.

Overall Length 41.25"

Grooves 5

UPC 7-36676-46909-3

Suggested Retail $729.00

Considering getting one of these for a light rifle that's cheaper for practice than my SMLE. The 10rd AR mags are a nice touch. Haven't decided if I want 5.56 or 300BLK.....

35 Whelen

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    North Texas
    A couple of years ago I decided I probably should have bolt .223, just because, and because I kinda needed something in the laundry room gun rack for coyotes and hogs that sometimes wander up to the house.
    Since I had a few hundred bucks on my Cabela's card and I'm a tight-ass, I chose the Savage Axis II package.

M37GjbFl.jpg

I didn't like the scope I mounted a Leupold 2-7X I had laying around. It didn't take long to put it into action-

FzEHTpql.jpg

I replaced the flimsy stock with a Boyd's laminated, and fire-lapped the bore with 77 gr. bullets from a Tubb's Lapping Kit. The 1-9" barrel isn't supposed to stabilize 77 gr. bullets, but it did pretty well-

ZpApES5l.jpg
    q0VWRMSl.jpg

PD9hoORl.jpg

The magazine capacity is supposed to be 4 rounds, but mine easily holds 5-

Jq9tvsVl.jpg

So there's my recommendation.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    I picked up a ruger american predator gen 1 for the kids a few years back. With the right ammo it's a tack driver. I was shooting chains at the range with it.

Other advantage is the magazines. It uses AR mags. Cheap and plentiful, even 10 rounders. No proprietary mags or AI mags for it. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    The Ruger has something I really want. Why 2 different chambers between the Predator and the Ranch though? One is 223 rem the other 5.56 nato. I would prefer the nato chamber in the 20 inch model. The fact they take AR mags is great. May have to settle for the Ranch myself. Then a Boyd's stock.

Top Bottom