• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    They bought before new prices dropped and we'll see how successful they are selling them used as values have dropped further. They'll either take a loss on every unit sold or they're so far upside down on value the units will just sit on the lot with high prices. My credit union has a "finance deal" with Hertz but I've always found their prices to be unreasonably high.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    I rented a fossil fuel vicar in AZ when I went to confirm they tried to give me an EV I literally told them to FK off that's Not what my paperwork says. They argued until I walked out. They chased me down and said I could have any SUV they had. They had tons to choose from Herts Airport rentals.
    No I won't drive one nor be seen in one.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    I'd rather be seen going into a hotel room with Rosie O'Donnel than driving an EV.
    C746C9E2-4735-403F-B6EF-45F60C98DE6A.png

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    Additionally, its rental EVs were damaged or crashed more often, -- people are really unprepared for how fast the acceleration on an EV motor is versus an ICE.... If they have used ones that aren't wrecked I might buy one if the price is right.

news flash for them, they are selling model 3s with 75k miles on them for 30k. I can go down ot the Tesla dealership in Austin RIGHT NOW and get a brand new model 3 with ZERO miles on it for 42k.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    This paragraph is very telling for me…most folks would be surprised to know that rental companies are sorta like McDonald’s.

IMG_1525.jpeg

McD’s is a real estate holding company that pays the bills with food/franchise fees.

And rental car companies are in the business of buying cars cheap, and selling them as used cars - that’s their profit. Their rental operations basically cover depreciation and maintenance costs.

One leading indicator on the heath of the US new-car market is based on what rental car companies are doing.

When they’re turning their inventory fast, it’s a heathy market.
    When they’re holding inventory longer before they sell, it’s a slowing market.

Last edited:

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    They bought before new prices dropped and we'll see how successful they are selling them used as values have dropped further. They'll either take a loss on every unit sold or they're so far upside down on value the units will just sit on the lot with high prices. My credit union has a "finance deal" with Hertz but I've always found their prices to be unreasonably high.
    Not just that, but EVs lose their value faster than ultra luxury vehicles because the average person doesn't want a $20,000 battery bill. Tossing 20,000 EVs on the market when most others are selling for a fraction of what the buyer paid shouldn't help keep prices up, but like every other huge company, I'm sure they have a wringer to keep prices inflated somehow, kinda like carvana buying a car auction. But I do know people that have the job title of selling cars for a rental company and they never just turn them over for wholesale, they're essentially their own used car dealer sometimes trading 20 used cars for 15 brand new ones.

And pronstar nailed it, I'd bet you probably won't see a rental vehicle with more than 25,000 miles on it ever. I'm not a frequent traveler but out of the dozen or so rentals I've been in they were all nearly brand new with fewer than 5000 miles on them.

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    A family friend who owns a 4 year old Tesla drove it to the coast for New Years. He stopped to charge it on his way home and when he tried to get back on the road, there was a long list of error codes on his obnoxiously large dash display and the car would not start, or power up, or boot, or whatever EVs do when you try to activate them.
    It ended up getting towed to a Tesla dealer where he was told that it needed a new $28,000 battery that they would have to order.

On the bright side, he was smart enough to buy extended warranty and it covers the batteries.

But the reality is that any car, be it EV, Hybrid, or conventional vehicle built in the last decade or two, should be dumped before the warranty expires.
    I will keep fixing my 2006 Dodge and driving it while other folks can keep motorized iPads.

Steve In Texas

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2023
    Austin, Texas
    The average miles on the Tesla's I saw they were selling was near or over 90,000 miles. A car rental company selling a bunch of high mileage rentals means they have made their money back and then some. Rental fleets are typically sold off at much lower miles. Electric cars may have issues, but having twice to three times the normal miles at the end of a rental life suggests they had a degree of popularity past standard rental cars.

Top Bottom