• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    My father (a general contractor of commercial buildings, etc.) taught me many, many things while I was growing up at home about how to get and keep a job. Not just in the construction business, but any business. Basically the three most important things to do to get and keep a job:
    1. Show up early
    2. Keep your mouth shut
    3. Do what you're told

Very simple!
    1. Early is on time. On time is late

2. The keep you mouth shut one was the hardest for me.
    It got me promoted a couple of times.

3. Do what you'r told and then some.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    so I have been with the same place for 35 years.

Other than last year missing 2 months due to a medical thing.

20 ish years ago I was off work almost a year with a shattered leg from a truck running over me and my motorcycle and I still went in to work regularly lol although it was just paperwork bs and setting up equipment and showing people how to do my job.

I have missed well under 30 days from being sick or wanting a day off not including vacation time. I have been late 5 times I remember and usually 30 minutes early and unlock the place and turn on equipment.

I survived 3 buyouts and a move from Cali to Tx 19ish years ago.

I totally resemble the don't make yourself irreplaceable or you will never move up but for me thats fine **** dealing with figure heads and customers lol.

I do have to say I am no longer not a smart ass I guess when your old and chrochity and hard to replace they deal with it lol. But I know not to push it to far and who I can screw with.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    so I have been with the same place for 35 years.

Other than last year missing 2 months due to a medical thing.

20 ish years ago I was off work almost a year with a shattered leg from a truck running over me and my motorcycle and I still went in to work regularly lol although it was just paperwork bs and setting up equipment and showing people how to do my job.

I have missed well under 30 days from being sick or wanting a day off not including vacation time. I have been late 5 times I remember and usually 30 minutes early and unlock the place and turn on equipment.

I survived 3 buyouts and a move from Cali to Tx 19ish years ago.

I totally resemble the don't make yourself irreplaceable or you will never move up but for me thats fine **** dealing with figure heads and customers lol.

I do have to say I am no longer not a smart ass I guess when your old and chrochity and hard to replace they deal with it lol. But I know not to push it to far and who I can screw with.
    I WAS BORN A SMART-ASS! AND MORE THAN LIKELY I'LL DIE BEING AMART -ASS!!

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    I’m sure learning how to dig into applying for jobs. There’s a ton of opportunities out there. I’m treating looking for a job like a job. Up at 6, work out a bit, in the shower, get dressed, eat breakfast, and sit down in front of that danged PC and burn up that phone. Short lunch break and two get off my rear and walk around breaks. Call it good at 4:30. It’ll be interesting to see when interviews get scheduled. Been blowing up recruiters for sure.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I’m sure learning how to dig into applying for jobs. There’s a ton of opportunities out there. I’m treating looking for a job like a job. Up at 6, work out a bit, in the shower, get dressed, eat breakfast, and sit down in front of that danged PC and burn up that phone. Short lunch break and two get off my rear and walk around breaks. Call it good at 4:30. It’ll be interesting to see when interviews get scheduled. Been blowing up recruiters for sure.
    exactly

Lead Belly

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    “MAKE YOURSELF VALUABLE, show up to work early, and do YOUR job.”

Worked for me.
    My wife lost her job of 17 years for being too good at what she did. She had 2 years worth of vacation accrued, never missed a day ever.

The Board hired a new CEO to cut costs, a female with zero experience in the field. New CEO decided to get rid of all the managers- including the CFO who was interim CEO (threat?). She fired the staff attorney, as well. My wife (17 years), her boss (28 years and ready to retire in months) and her boss's boss- a Director (33 years) were all let go with 2 months severance.

My wife was her boss's right-hand man, and was considerred tied to her immediate boss as such.

New CEO saved $1M+ in salary, nevermind losing 78 years worth of experience and connections in just that department.

New CEO promptly hired her 2 cronies with zero experience in the field.

So, if anyone needs a VERY qualified Senior Managing Editor....

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    Yep, treat finding a job like a job. Set schedules, work on it daily and don't become frustrated due to lack of response. I was let go just days before my 20 year mark and had a few health issues afterwards that prevented me from looking for awhile. I was looking for a hybrid or onsite position in the DFW market and oddly enough, snagged my current WFH job though competing with talent across the US. Was hired in December which we've always been told is the slowest month due to year-end vacations and budgets drying up. Much like everything else, the job came when I least expected it.

Top Bottom