• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Coming home from EZ-Es I needed to pick up some first aid things (thats another story). So I stop at Brookshire Brother's and on the way out I see what could very well be a brand new red Corvette parked next to me in the gimp parking. Older Black guy getting out of the Vette, I notice his license plate is a MOH plate. I thanked him for his service and ask if I could shake his hand. He gave me a post card size card about him.

Greatness is around us in place you never figured on.
    ARJ Defense ad

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    It is an incredible honor for you to shake the hand of such a man.
    I thought about saluting him, but the hand shake was good.

I have seen several MOH plates but always while moving. I think I made Clarence's day as much as he made mine.

Our VietnamVeterans are at that age where they are starting to disappear. The ones wearing a cap tells you they were proud of what they did no matter the crap they faced when returning home.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I've had the honor of meeting a few MoH recipients, mostly at the Gathering of Eagles event at Maxwell AFB.

All are truly humble individuals who didn't feel what they did was anything any other individual would have done under the same circumstances.

Honestly, I feel different about what they did; but I wouldn't be one to argue with them about it!

Recipients from the medical community such as Clarence Sasser are even braver in my book, as they ignored the very real likelihood of death to help save others.

And of course, this is one of the greatest Texas recipients of the MoH ever to live!

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I've had the honor of meeting a few MoH recipients, mostly at the Gathering of Eagles event at Maxwell AFB.

All are truly humble individuals who didn't feel what they did was anything any other individual would have done under the same circumstances.

Honestly, I feel different about what they did; but I wouldn't be one to argue with them about it!

Recipients from the medical community such as Clarence Sasser are even braver in my book, as they ignored the very real likelihood of death to help save others.

And of course, this is one of the greatest Texas recipients of the MoH ever to live!

When I was 19 I got to shake MSG Benavides' hand. It was like meeting some kind of superhero...except he was humble and seemed slightly embarrassed by all the attention.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!

Just the other day I caught a Youtube video in the middle of an animated version of Roy. The last apart the I lived in was very close to the Houston VA Complex. Down OST a bit was a Army reserve that's named after Roy. I was really saddened when the land was worth more then a building dedicated Roy, was tore down for more Houston Medical Center buildings.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    When it comes to tough Texans, Roy Benavides makes the short list with Capt. Jack Hays and Audie Murphy.

While not everybody gets to that level, Texas still produces some folks that you'd best stay on the good side of them. Marcus Luttrell comes to mind. In the current conflicts - Afghanistan and Iraq - Texas had 3 MOH winners.: Chris Kyle, Darryn Andrews, and Paul Smith. Kyle died stateside but the other two were killed in action.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Not sure it's an award you "win"...I've always preferred to say "MOH recipients" or "...who've earned the Medal of Honor". It's a small pet peeve and not intended as criticism of you.
    Yeah I would totally agree. I can't say for sure what I asked Clarence, I think he was impressed that I noticed. It was a mutual thing of respect between us when I shook his hand. The card he gave me will be on display with other things I really cherish.I might see if I have a frame for it. I wish they made 2 sued frames. Something to search for online.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    When it comes to tough Texans, Roy Benavides makes the short list with Capt. Jack Hays and Audie Murphy.

While not everybody gets to that level, Texas still produces some folks that you'd best stay on the good side of them. Marcus Luttrell comes to mind. In the current conflicts - Afghanistan and Iraq - Texas had 3 MOH winners.: Chris Kyle, Darryn Andrews, and Paul Smith. Kyle died stateside but the other two were killed in action.
    A lady that I worked with at the renfest & was my realtor. has Marcus Luttrell as a neighbor.

Top Bottom