• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Frioman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2023
    Houston
    My current home feels almost indefensible by just 2 occupants. Every one of the 4 walls have large windows.

If things hit the fan, this would not serve as a fortress at all. If under attack, I won't turn on the lights inside the house of course, but I have my hands full here. Installed a couple if cameras, but that's only good as long as you have wifi and power.

Any suggestions, or what are you doing if you're in a similar situation?
    Lynx Defense

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    My current home feels almost indefensible by just 2 occupants. Every one of the 4 walls have large windows.

If things hit the fan, this would not serve as a fortress at all. If under attack, I won't turn on the lights inside the house of course, but I have my hands full here. Installed a couple if cameras, but that's only good as long as you have wifi and power.

Pitch a tent in the desert or the woods. Be safe.

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    We faced the same situation in Katy until we moved out to the boonies 2 years ago.

There is no solution other than to move, if possible.
    If not possible, leave outcomes in God's hands, and enjoy your life as best you can in gratitude and without fear.

Good luck :)

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

If SHTF to the point that you are worried about prolonged firefights that require you to bunker down in your own home, I'm going to guess that a lot of the area around you might be vacant. Why not just pick a different house?;)

I guess you could board up your windows. Possibly even pile sandbags to cover them (from the inside as to not be accessible or seen. Razor wire would do wonders for keeping people from getting to the windows easily. It kinda advertises that someone's there though. Just remember that your fortress could be defeated with nothing more than a bottle of gas and a rag.

Not all homes are suitable for bugging in. Leaving might be your best choice.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.

Welcome to the Forum!

1911'S 4 Me

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2018
    Humble

Haul aaasss!!!!

etmo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2020
    Cedar Creek, Tx
    There is no solution other than to move, if possible.
    :)

Not all homes are suitable for bugging in. Leaving might be your best choice.

Fixed fortifications are a monument to stupidity.*

There's a theme to be found here

And the theme tells us not to go down the rabbit hole of thinking you can prepare for everything. Be reasonable in your preparations, enjoy life.

Heck, there are some apocalypses you might survive and wish you hadn't

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Window films can make it much more difficult to enter through them.

Consider some of the hurricane rated windows

precut/built plywood and 2x4 that simply screws on from inside into the studs, but walls are pretty easy to break through too with a sledge hammer or a vehicle.

You could cut a hole in your slab and slowly excavate a small bunker, but for what? In the end, keeping folks out also keeps you from GETTING out. Cut off from food, water, heat, A/C the enemy is presented with a problem that time alone can solve for them while you are presented with the dilemma which is the wrong way around!

Don't look important, no advertising what is likely to be inside with stickers on your car...

Think about what you do driving. You didnt buy a tank so youre nearly completely safe, you bought a reasonable car, drive defensively and wear the seat belts. Do the equivalent here.

Make a plan and take some small reasonable steps to improve safety like hurricane windows and maybe an exterior rated door to your bedroom/closet. Know your fields of fire with regard to neighbors and other important rooms of the house people you like or dont like may be in. Most importantly dont make yourself a target.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Frioman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2023
    Houston
    Window films can make it much more difficult to enter through them.

Consider some of the hurricane rated windows

precut/built plywood and 2x4 that simply screws on from inside into the studs, but walls are pretty easy to break through too with a sledge hammer or a vehicle.

You could cut a hole in your slab and slowly excavate a small bunker, but for what? In the end, keeping folks out also keeps you from GETTING out. Cut off from food, water, heat, A/C the enemy is presented with a problem that time alone can solve for them while you are presented with the dilemma which is the wrong way around!

Don't look important, no advertising what is likely to be inside with stickers on your car...

Think about what you do driving. You didnt buy a tank so youre nearly completely safe, you bought a reasonable car, drive defensively and wear the seat belts. Do the equivalent here.

Make a plan and take some small reasonable steps to improve safety like hurricane windows and maybe an exterior rated door to your bedroom/closet. Know your fields of fire with regard to neighbors and other important rooms of the house people you like or dont like may be in. Most importantly dont make yourself a target.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk
    Very good advice. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Very few lucky folks will actually be prepared for a real SHTF scenario.....some folks think they are, but in reality they aren't.

Hundreds of thousands of people will leave the urban areas in search of food in less than a week........large roving gangs will be on the move and they are armed. Your neighbors will not be prepared and could be potential adversaries.......total lawlessness.....

Think Katrina on steroids........

Very, very hard decisions will have to be made.........

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Realistically, though, you probably just need to put up enough resistance to make them move on to a soft target. There will be plenty of the latter that can be attacked with no risk. Why would they risk facing lead flying at them when they can go another house where the residents are unarmed?

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    Realistically, though, you probably just need to put up enough resistance to make them move on to a soft target. There will be plenty of the latter that can be attacked with no risk. Why would they risk facing lead flying at them when they can go another house where the residents are unarmed?
    Here's a sign for his yard.
    Screenshot_20240317-141415_DuckDuckGo.jpg

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    If things hit the fan, this would not serve as a fortress at all.

In a concentrated attack, a modern house will protect you about as much as a paper bag. Even a brick wall will crumble under sustained fire. Any wall without masonry? It'll offer concealment, but not good cover. A better strategy is to make it too costly for an organized group to attack your house.

Top Bottom