• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    Fact or opinion? Honest question...is it really fair to compare a gun policy to a home policy? If it is then I can see possibly changing my opinion.

Opinion? Wasn't considering opinion. Just expressing information about a subject that I know something about. But, to answer you question, I would say no. There's many more perils that can affect a home compared to firearms. But that's just my opinion.
    Gun Zone Deals

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    I wonder if those policies require a safe to offer those prices.
    From my research some do. Or, the cost may be lower depending on the quality of your safe. I don't think my ArmsCare policy requires a safe. Don't recall that they asked when I took out the policy. Did everything online. Just provided the amount of coverage I was seeking and since none of my firearms exceeded $2500, didn't need to schedule anything.

In a nutshell, quick, easy and painless peace of mind.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Opinion? Wasn't considering opinion. Just expressing information about a subject that I know something about. But, to answer you question, I would say no. There's many more perils that can affect a home compared to firearms. But that's just my opinion.

It's obvious that you know a lot about the subject, and I sincerely appreciate the info you are so graciously sharing. I'm benefitting from it, so thank you.

You stated "the fact that the cost is low," so if it is fact, then what comparison are you making to arrive at the determination that $500/$100,000 is low? I'm not arguing; I'm asking so that I can make an educated decision on insuring my guns.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    I wonder if those policies require a safe to offer those prices.

With Collectibles, the premiums go up if you indicate your items are not kept in by safe. Not sure how they would verify....until it comes time to make a claim, and they find out that you lied.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    With Collectibles, the premiums go up if you indicate your items are not kept in by safe. Not sure how they would verify....until it comes time to make a claim, and they find out that you lied.

Wonder how they handle most items in the safe, but a few left out? Common sense, I hope.

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    It's obvious that you know a lot about the subject, and I sincerely appreciate the info you are so graciously sharing. I'm benefitting from it, so thank you.

You stated "the fact that the cost is low," so if it is fact, then what comparison are you making to arrive at the determination that $500/$100,000 is low? I'm not arguing; I'm asking so that I can make an educated decision on insuring my guns.

No offense taken in your questions. I'm glad you are being proactive and looking at a separate policy for insuring your firearms. You obviously look more closely the policies compared to the average consumer. Most people never read their policy and just assume they are covered for the full amount of their policy for any situation.

From my perspective, $100,000 coverage for $500/year is a bargain. I can only compare it to my car or home insurance. Both of which I pay a higher amount for the coverage purchased. Look at it if the insurance company paid out the full $100,000 on a claim. It would take 200 years for the insurance company to break even on that policy. But you may not see it that way based on your perspective and experience as a consumer purchasing insurance. How do they do it? Investments and reinsurance. Fortunately for us as the consumers, they're very good at it which keeps the cost of the insurance lower than what it would've cost without the investment or sharing of the risk.

Last edited:

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I looked into adding a firearms rider (a few years back) with my homeowners insurance & I am pretty sure they wanted more $$ for much less coverage.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    tag. I have USAA. IIRC 20k in coverage

Might want check and to see if it pays replacement value.
    When I got a quote on their VPP rider for my guns an musical instruments, it did not.
    Be nice to the hear that's changed ...

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    I do not think I have ever started a thread that got this much attention. You guys have provided me with some good information. My house is currently insured with USAA, so I will give them a call today. I will also check out a few of the other companies mentioned. One problem I have is this. My collection is always in transition. I have acquired five new 1911s since July 15th. I will soon be selling off some of my other handguns to make room for the new 1911s. Keeping the insurance company updated is a real chore. I did a rough estimate on my collection awhile back. Replacement cost for everything would be between $25 to $30K.
    This need to add additional insurance arouse because my wife's car was broken into a few weeks ago while it sat in my driveway.

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    I contacted USSA for a quote. For $30K coverage it was $523.00 per year. USAA requires a list of items, serial numbers, and model numbers prior to finalizing the coverage. This allows them to verify the value.
    I also contacted Collectibles Insurance Services. The same 30K coverage with them was only $264 per year. I spoke with a guy named Dan. He was a little sketchy to talk with, but the company gets an A+ rating with the BBB. They have been in business for about 50 years which is reassuring.
    I still find the fact that they do not require a list of items, serial numbers, etc. a little confusing. Dan told me if anything is stolen, they will require that information at the time of the theft, but not before.
    This is like the old saying "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't". And yes he said, once a claim has been filed, they go out and canvas the market for an average market value of the item stolen.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    I contacted USSA for a quote. For $30K coverage it was $523.00 per year. USAA requires a list of items, serial numbers, and model numbers prior to finalizing the coverage. This allows them to verify the value.
    I also contacted Collectibles Insurance Services. The same 30K coverage with them was only $264 per year. I spoke with a guy named Dan. He was a little sketchy to talk with, but the company gets an A+ rating with the BBB. They have been in business for about 50 years which is reassuring.
    I still find the fact that they do not require a list of items, serial numbers, etc. a little confusing. Dan told me if anything is stolen, they will require that information at the time of the theft, but not before.
    This is like the old saying "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't". And yes he said, once a claim has been filed, they go out and canvas the market for an average market value of the item stolen.

If you want to call back and speak to someone less "sketchy," send me a PM and I will give you the direct number to the person I spoke to there this afternoon. She was very helpful with my long list of questions.

And the saying actually goes "if it sounds too good to be true, it probabaly IS (...too good to be true). ;)

Top Bottom