• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Skip

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    NW San Antonio
    Wouldn't it be cool to go to a class like this? I found it in Meet-up. (It's already full)

Intro to Blacksmithing and Knifemaking - 3-day class - Primitive Skills & Wilderness Living (San Antonio Region) (San Antonio, TX) - Meetup

As promised, there was so much demand for this class that we found a weekend slot to put in another one before the end of spring.
    If you need to camp at the THP training center, you can do so this weekend. The location of the forge is just north of downtown San Antonio, about 20-30 minutes from the THP training center.
    This class is open to the first 8 signups who pay in full. The tuition is refundable if the class is canceled only. I expect it to fill up quickly, but we plan to hold this class again, as well as more advanced classes if there is interest. If you want to hold your RSVP, make sure you pay ASAP.
    About the Class:
    This class will focus on introducing the basics of blacksmithing first. This isn't just a knife-making class. You're not just grinding a pattern out and then heat-treating it. Not that there's anything wrong with that kind of knife-making, but learning to actually blacksmith gives you an entirely different skill set and a huge range of options in working with scrap metals (as in a post-disaster or post-apocalyptic situation) that you can't reach by simply grinding out a blade pattern.
    Knives will be forge-finished as seen on the website (and in all but one of the pictures below) and if all goes well for you, you will go home with a paracord-handle, finished knife. Additionally you will receive a pair of safety glasses, ear plugs, a file, and a file card to use for the class and take with you.
    You will actually learn to heat, pound and shape spring steel into a blade. Come prepared to do a lot of hammering. We're spreading the 15-hour class out over 3 days to try to make it physically easier on everyone.
    James will introduce metals, heating, forging, hammering techniques, straightening, grinding, shaping, knife and handle making.
    Don't have huge expectations for the quality of your first blade. :) It's pretty ambitious to make a decent blade the very first time you have ever swung a hammer, but you will make one and learn enough to be able to do this on your own, or of course do it again in a more advanced class with more information and techniques next time.
    Class Times:
    Noon - 6 PM on Friday
    9 - 3 PM on Saturday
    9 - Noon on Sunday

About the Instructor:
    James Helm is a local blacksmith who attended a number of THP classes back in the beginning, and gave a knife making class for us once before. In the meantime he now has a bigger forge and shop near downtown SA, and gives classes for Southwest School of Art.
    He has many years' experience as a blacksmith and knife-maker. His website is located here and posted below are some of his blades.

P.S. I don't know the guy, just thought the premise of the class is cool...
    Gun Zone Deals

jamesmrj

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    Cypress, TX
    I've been itching to get int black smithing for a year or two, but I need to get my own place (country land preferred) first.

Top Bottom