• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    I usualy make some hunters mad when I say this, but there is no such thing as deer hunting in Texas.

You spend all spring and summer setting out feeders to fatten the little buggers up and also get them accustomed to coming to the blind you spent more time and money on than you should have. .
    Then when deer season arrives, you harvest.
    Gun Zone Deals

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I admit I probably wouldn't deer hunt if it wasn't for great friends I've had throughout my life that were fortunate enough to have family property. Hoji and many others know it is truly worth the out of state road trip to hunt deer. I know several people that have gone through the process and had some decent hunts on tx public land. But it really is a crap shoot.

Keep poking around for a small group lease and you may find one. My only hunting spot these days costs me a lot of sweat equity but being an occasional weekend ranch hand never really feels like work to me.

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    I've hit 10 whitetail deer in nearly 20 years of driving a semi truck including 2 that I hit within 5 miles.

I have zero desire to wake up early to sit in a deer blind for a animal dumb enough to run out into a 18 wheeler with loud exhaust, 50 accessory lights and the horn blowing.
    My father in law was building a blind. I told him that for the money he was spending he should find a nice clean used car with lots of chrome. Put some deer whistles on the front bumper and park in the woods with the high beams on and the deer would throw themselves at him all night long.

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    My father in law was building a blind. I told him that for the money he was spending he should find a nice clean used car with lots of chrome. Put some deer whistles on the front bumper and park in the woods with the high beams on and the deer would throw themselves at him all night long.
    Well us true hunters know you have to flash the high beams and honk the horn if you really want a big one. And it helps to have a bunch is empty’s to toss out the windows to mask your scent. The AM radio blasting also works a an attractant

Last edited:

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    Hey y'all. I've been in Texas since 2010, and since then I've been interested in hunting a deer (never been hunting before). I've tried looking at leases, but realized I'd have to save up a ridiculous sum to even entertain the possibility. Apart from buying land, is there anywhere that I can get involved to fall into the good graces of some kind hearted folks to be able to hunt a deer? Any secrets to share?

I went to Montana this past summer. Let me tell you -- that state is managed wonderfully for allowing citizens access to public lands to use it as they see fit. Sure wish we had something like that in Texas.
    Buy a Crown Vic...

No season.

No Bag Limit.

1708782380331.png

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Hey y'all. I've been in Texas since 2010, and since then I've been interested in hunting a deer (never been hunting before). I've tried looking at leases, but realized I'd have to save up a ridiculous sum to even entertain the possibility. Apart from buying land, is there anywhere that I can get involved to fall into the good graces of some kind hearted folks to be able to hunt a deer? Any secrets to share?

I went to Montana this past summer. Let me tell you -- that state is managed wonderfully for allowing citizens access to public lands to use it as they see fit. Sure wish we had something like that in Texas.
    <>

Texas has very little “public lands” for hunting.

Montana & many other Western States are mostly federal lands, some of which are accessible for hunting.

Let me suggest that feral hog hunting may be easier in Texas, and the pork is wonderful during the colder months.

<>

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    My deer lease is $1500 a year and acting as an agent for the landowner. (chase off trespassers and keep the fence in good repair) It's not THAT expensive. Year round access and all the hogs you could ever shoot. Dove season isn't bad either. Although to be honest, I don't bother with whitetails when axis are present.
    If you find a seeetheart deal like that, hold on to it for as long as you can, and be actively putting aside money for when the owner(s) sell or die and their kids sell.

If there are axis deer on the place, it is in the hill country and eventually someone will offer the owners a suitcase full of “fuckyou” money for it and they will retire to Belize

Nicholst55

Retired, Twice.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2021
    Houston Area

Check with the various military installations in your area, including Camp Bullis. I know that you can hunt there. It isn't easy, per se, but you can do it. It usually requires attending a class, and applying for a drawing. Then they typically truck you out to your deer stand and drop you off. You hunt in place, and wait for them to return to pick you up.

Top Bottom