• ...and so much more!
  • MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    What is a cloudberry and where can I get some?
    It's a wild berry that only grows above the arctic circle in Northern Scandinavia. Being of Nordic descent, I eat and cook traditionally as much as possible. :)

I get mine here, usually a dozen jars at a time, along with other goodies and decor. They're good people. The blueberry is very good, too!

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    It's a wild berry that only grows above the arctic circle in Northern Scandinavia. Being of Nordic descent, I eat and cook traditionally as much as possible. :)

I get mine here, usually a dozen jars at a time, along with other goodies and decor. They're good people. The blueberry is very good, too!

My dads stepfather was a Swede. I was like the only one of several grand kids & 7 step kids that would eat stuff he loved from the old country. Potato sausage, pickled herring in sour cream & Swedish meat balls are still things I love to eat.

Coon

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2023
    Montgomery

That looks yummy, but at $18 a jar I don't think I want to take a chance that I will like them. I love most berries, and if I hit the lottery, I'll buy some, or maybe go to Sweden when they're ripe.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    That looks yummy, but at $18 a jar I don't think I want to take a chance that I will like them. I love most berries, and if I hit the lottery, I'll buy some, or maybe go to Sweden when they're ripe.
    Look for this next time your shopping

jetcycles

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Shoreacres, TX
    Never thought I'd be posting about boiled eggs on TGT, but here I am. Starting April 1st I added 6 boiled eggs to my daily macros to supplement my protein intake, my girls also eat them when they're with me, we go through a LOT of eggs. Not sure why it took me 43 years to steam eggs, but I get eggs that practically slip out of the shell using the following method. Add eggs to steamer basket, bring water to a boil until steam is produced, cover and steam eggs for 12 minutes before quenching in an ice bath.
    7705d5f4650a16434d65d00458566fa5.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    Good plan! Odds are you wouldn't find the taste to be worth the $18, lol, and that's fine. :) For me, it's more the idea of it, the connection, to my ancestors.

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    Here's how the master chef cooks eggs:

Thanks for that!
    I steam-fry mine for breakfast: Small skillet, 2-3 eggs in like for frying, med-hi heat, when the bottom of the whites are set add splash of water, about 2T, tight lid, cook maybe one more minute, steam finishes them off: Fully cooked whites, soft yolks. Perfection!!

Bonus is ya don't have to flip 'em. :laughing:

This morning :)
    20240429_084125.jpg

Last edited:

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    I steam mine.
    I have a mesh insert for my pan. Add water to 1/4 inch below the mesh and put eggs on it. Stove on high, lid on pan and start my 15 minute timer.
    When the 15 minutes are up, flame off and leave the cover on pan while I fill a bowl with ice water to cool the eggs, then drop the eggs in the cold water.

After they cool I peel them using a spoon. Works great.

jetcycles

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Shoreacres, TX
    He & Julia Childs were very instrumental in my learning to cook. I use to watch cooking shows when I was younger, simply because they were better the soap operas. Talk about a misspent youth.
    I watched them as well as Yan Can Cook as an elementary school student, I used to have to call my mom at work to ask if it was OK to use the stove to make whatever I saw on TV, learned a lot about the kitchen in my youth!

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Coon

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2023
    Montgomery
    If I need a lot of hard cooked eggs, (like for deviled eggs) I use the 5 5 5 method in the pressure cooker. Put them in the pressure cooker set for 5 minutes with a small amount of water. After it's done, let the pressure reduce naturally for 5 minutes, then release the pressure and ice bath them for 5 minutes. Perfectly hard cooked and easy to peel.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    The ice bath is what makes them peel off easily. I really should invest in an egg timer. I tend to forget the one on. The stove and one on my phone.

I love me some poached eggs. They are all about the right time too.

I watched a YouTube video on eggs and seen lots of interesting stuff that I can’t remember.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Thanks for that!
    I steam-fry mine for breakfast: Small skillet, 2-3 eggs in like for frying, med-hi heat, when the bottom of the whites are set add splash of water, about 2T, tight lid, cook maybe one more minute, steam finishes them off: Fully cooked whites, soft yolks. Perfection!!

Bonus is ya don't have to flip 'em. :laughing:

This morning :)
    View attachment 449086
    Those look about how I like them. Only thing better is basting the yokes with brown butter or bacon grease.

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    Those look about how I like them. Only thing better is basting the yokes with brown butter or bacon grease.
    Ohhhh...thanks for that great memory!!
    I can still see her. Every Sunday morning, mom at the stove, bacon just out of the skillet and she's flicking the grease up over the eggs. Oh momma. Miss you like hellfire.

Last edited:

Coon

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2023
    Montgomery
    Ohhhh...thanks for that great memory!!
    I can still see her. Every Sunday morning, mom at the stove, bacon just out of the skillet and she's flipping the grease up over the eggs. Oh momma. Miss you like hellfire.
    I have similar memories, except my dad was the breakfast man! His favorite was smoked ham sliced off and fried, then the eggs over easy and cathead biscuits split in half, buttered and covered with Steens Ribbon Cane syrup!

Top Bottom