• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AKM-47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    Texas
    I watched a episode of Survivorman and he could not use a Bic lighter due to it getting wet, so I am redoing the lighters in my bug out bag

My question is can I store a lighter in a sealed/waterproof container...it has a gas/fuel in it and was wondering if it would be safe

I have small plastic bags & waterproof match containers

Billy

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    My camping survival bag is a dry stuff bag from academy. I keep paper stuff, and other things that are crucial to keep dry in there. This is seperate from my tent, propane, camp stove and all that.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Zippo type lighter, Not a good idea.
    Butane lighter in a plastic bag would be much better.
    Best choice would be would be a flint striker and tinder.

sent from an idgit coffeeholic

AKM-47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    Texas
    Zippo type lighter, Not a good idea.
    Butane lighter in a plastic bag would be much better.
    Best choice would be would be a flint striker and tinder.

There your standard butane lighters and they can fit in a couple of empty UCO match containers

Billy

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    May I suggest you first take your Bic lighter and place it in a coffee cup that has been filled with water. Leave it 24 hours and the following day remove it and blow hard on the striker and flint to dry it. Give it a couple hard puffs of air and try to strike it I bet it flames up with little or no trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    May I suggest you first take your Bic lighter and place it in a coffee cup that has been filled with water. Leave it 24 hours and the following day remove it and blow hard on the striker and flint to dry it. Give it a couple hard puffs of air and try to strike it I bet it flames up with little or no trouble.

It won't work until it is fully dry. A couple puffs of air aren't going to do it especially if it has been soaking.

Once dry it will work fine but takes a couple hours to dry enough.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    It won't work until it is fully dry. A couple puffs of air aren't going to do it especially if it has been soaking.

Once dry it will work fine but takes a couple hours to dry enough.

Sorry but it certainly does not take a couple hours or need to be fully dry. It might take 60 seconds of shaking it and blowing into it but it will spark after a few tries and maybe 20 seconds and then may take a bit more to get it to light off. I retested the one I keep in my truck this evening several times of soaking it for a minute and lighting it.

A ziplock is a good idea but a wet lighter just takes a bit of fiddling to get a flame.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    lol, your funny
    Not really. Short term, a bic lighter is fine. Long term, you will need something better. Lighters run empty. Flints in them evenually run out or break. A tool for sparks and some good dry tinder or magnesium block works much better long term.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Sorry but it certainly does not take a couple hours or need to be fully dry. It might take 60 seconds of shaking it and blowing into it but it will spark after a few tries and maybe 20 seconds and then may take a bit more to get it to light off. I retested the one I keep in my truck this evening several times of soaking it for a minute and lighting it.

A ziplock is a good idea but a wet lighter just takes a bit of fiddling to get a flame.

Under ideal conditions yes, you may get it to strike after a few minutes of messing with it if you get the flint and wheel dry.

My experiences don't come from trying it in my house. Mine come from me being in the rain with the lighter and trying to get it to work while still in the rain. I assume the point of this thread is in a SHTF situation and worst case scenario.

I have always found that it is better to have a back up lighter and leave the wet one to sit until it dries. I have seen many guys wear the flint right out by trying to get them to work in continuous wet conditions.

If you really want to test a worst case scenario, try getting that lighter to work while taking a shower.

Of course I have always found it is better to not get it wet and for that a Ziplock baggy works great.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Not really. Short term, a bic lighter is fine. Long term, you will need something better. Lighters run empty. Flints in them evenually run out or break. A tool for sparks and some good dry tinder or magnesium block works much better long term.

Tools for spark wear out too. I am not sure how long it takes but I have seen the people on Naked and Afraid wear them things out pretty quickly. Not saying a Bic would last any longer, but they all fail eventually.

Wet tinder is going to be the weak point in any system. Finding dry tinder may be as difficult as keeping your tinder dry long term.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    A ten pack of Bic lighters are cheap and you can stash them pretty easy
    I'll buy as many as I need to in won't have to be rubbing sticks together anytime soon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Use a waterproof fire striker to light the BIC. It doesn't matter if the lighters flint and striker wheel are water logged. It's the Butane thats waterproof. Think of BIC lighters as mini storage containers for flammable gas. Regardless if the strike wheel works.

Hold the lighter and the fire starter striker together. Holding the button down on the lighter. Strike the rod to where it ignites the butane.

On really cold days. Stick the lighter in your arm pit to warm the butane.

Top Bottom