• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Well the ripple of legal pot is growing and will soon be a wave sweeping the nation.

I suspect there is no shortage of those on here who have taken of the weed. I am probaly the rare bird as I never have done any illegal drug in my life. And yes I grew up living thru the age of drugs for sure, went to Vietnam in 67 and college followed.

FYI I saw RARE drug use in Vietnam by our soldiers, many because who and where I was at mostly precluded using them. I spent almost 14 mo out in the field, in fact all but 3 weeks had me in the bush, stand down was not a part of my vocabulary unlike most of the units I spent time with.

THen my years in college and back into the Army as an officer this time. I saw plenty of drug use in the military of the 70, at the enlisted level in Infantry units we had about a 90% use factor and I would also say in the Officers ranks it was prob around 20%, but you had to know them very well before they let it be known.

So yea, been around it and rubbed shoulders with drug users most of my adult life...my 25 years being single showed me just how common it was...been to many parties where I was the only one there not stoned or high.

Don't get me wrong I have spilled more Jack that most of you will ever drink.

The point:

I personally do not support legalization of pot or in fact any drugs. I strongly believe it tears at the very fabric of society and bring about a malaise or what refer to as the mantra of: 'get high and get by'. I have hears this some many times from so many people it would amaze you. School teachers, sales people, techs you name it. Give them a decent job and every night when they come home from work its get high, go to sleep, repeat. Don't try to promote them, don't want the responsibility or hours that go with it.

Now before someone says 'well yea I folks that do same and its booze, not drugs. You are 100% correct, yea worked next to them, saw it time and time again. Yep its a problem, so if that is not enough of a problem, less start stacing on more known problem(s).

And the slippery slope of if Alcohol, then pot, then ____ , etc.

In addition we have our own federal drug addicts who are paid for by tax money. Methadone clinics mostly in Ca, Md, NJ and NY).

The current effort on pot is to provide it free to those on welfare a they are too poor to afford it...

Don't we have enough decay in our country as it is, do we need more.

Where do you stand?
    ARJ Defense ad

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    The "war on drugs" without end is FAR more destructive to society than the drugs themselves. Prohibition is inconsistent with American values. Corruption, both domestic and international, is making us rot from within. It's just another square on the political chess board, and anyone who supports prohibition is a pawn.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    "Prohibition" is a good example.

Didn't work for alcohol, hasn't worked for drugs.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    I'm a fence rider on this one.

Its hard to justify personal use pot being illegal and personal use alcohol being OK from where I sit.

However, I come from a place where alcohol was to blame for a significant amount of damage in my life and wish it were illegal (and enforceable) too.

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    I'm with you on this one Ole Cowboy. Your comment about "malaise" is well taken. I've never known an habitual pot smoker to have any sort of drive or ambition and usually occupy the lower rungs of the job market. Anyone speaking of "pawns" has obviously never read "Brave New World" where the government provides a drug called "SOMA" to keep the masses in line. Any stoner that doesn't realize they are a pawn is delusional....in more than one way.

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    I'm a fence rider on this one.

Its hard to justify personal use pot being illegal and personal use alcohol being OK from where I sit.

However, I come from a place where alcohol was to blame for a significant amount of damage in my life and wish it were illegal (and enforceable) too.
    Mitch, I can have a drink or two without having my senses or capabilities dulled, can a pot smoker say the same thing after sparking up a fatty or two? That's the biggest difference: not every one who enjoys alcohol does so to get drunk, everyone who smokes pot does so to get high.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Actually, people who take a "drink or two" do so to take the edge off. Not everybody who lights up smokes a fatty or two. Some may take a couple hits, a joint may last a week.

I don't know of anyone who chose alcohol because they like the taste.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Mitch, I can have a drink or two without having my senses or capabilities dulled

That's what my step-father said ...

Not doubting your abilities or reaction ... just saying everyone has a unique POV based upon external influences.

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    So, should we be asking "do you like pot", "should we discourage pot use", or "do people have the right to make their own decisions about what goes in their bodies"?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Yep, no one is saying alcohol wasn't abused, but noting abuse by imbibers of alcohol is hardly compelling reasoning for legalizing another drug.

I agree.

We should legalize one drug because someone abuses another. We should stop being a nanny state because we are afraid of what will happen if people are allowed to make their own decisions.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    The "war on drugs" without end is FAR more destructive to society than the drugs themselves. Prohibition is inconsistent with American values. Corruption, both domestic and international, is making us rot from within. It's just another square on the political chess board, and anyone who supports prohibition is a pawn.
    Now this is truly a legit argument. IMO if you want to get rid of the drug cartels or at least make the insignificant the legalize all drugs.

As for Prohibition, well it worked alright just ask Al Capone, Frank Nitty etc.

That said we still have a huge underground market in legal and illegal booze. Wanna buy booze on Sunday, easy, not a problem at all. I remember when beer and wine were not sold on Sunday. No sweat just stop off at the 7-11 store, ask for a large bag of ice for your beer (Coors) at home and that got you 2 six packs as you slipped cash in his hand and you headed for the lake.

Prohibition does not work in full or part.

Not sure which is worse, bunch of stoners or the drug cartels??????

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    No beer on Sunday is stupid as hell too.

From the phone of a non-drinker.

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    True. I hated the taste of Scotch but that's all my dad drank and if I wanted a drink then it was Scotch or nothing. After awhile, I found I could tolerate the taste and eventually, I ended up enjoying it.

With the concentrations of THC that there is in today's Hydro, can one actually take a hit or two without getting high?

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I think those in control (left and right) who love an ignorant sick satiated addicted major echelon in our country.

As far as federal law making it illegal and states being OK with it thats not tenable either. BHO et al just picking and choosing what to enforce isnt a way to run a governement. Even when they are giving the people what they are clamoring for.

That addiction can be to anything. Prescription pills are probably more of a problem than pot even if pot was legalized.

A lot of these anti-depressants wreck peoples minds.

Legalizing pot doesnt happen in a vacuum. There will be effects on society that will cost us all. Social safety net is going to have to catch more people. I say that as the libertarian ideal of people being responsible for how their behavior negatively affects their lives....isnt going to be part of pot being legal. I do think its insane to put people in prison for small amounts of pot so i am for lessening (not removing) punishments where they are severe.

So...im against pot legalization in general but we have bigger issues.

Do consider what widespread pot use could do to the portion of our population able to own and buy guns legally.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Actually, people who take a "drink or two" do so to take the edge off. Not everybody who lights up smokes a fatty or two. Some may take a couple hits, a joint may last a week.

You don't really "know" me, but I'm one of them. I'll drink beer regularly, and whiskey rarely, because I like the taste. There are days when I'd LOVE a cold beer with lunch, but I have to pass because I need my head clear and some motivation for the rest of the day.

Top Bottom