• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MyNameIsBob

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2014
    Plano
    I couple years back I inherited a S&W 4th Model in .32S&W. I bought the dies for it on a whim, and now I want to get into loading some. I'd like to load with black powder, as that is what the gun was designed for, rather than taking chances with smokeless. Anywho, I just had a few questions for those who have dealt with black powder cartridges, because I never have:

1. What type of powder is usually used for cartridges? I've seen "FFFg" thrown around on different websites. Is there a big difference in brands like there is with smokeless powder?

2. Are regular small pistol primers acceptable for igniting black powder, or are there specialty primers for BP cartridges?

3. Can a regular powder measure be used for BP? I noticed that RCBS makes a powder measure specifically for BP. Is it necessary, or can I use my uniflow?

I'm sure I'll have more questions as I go along. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
    Texas SOT

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    To my understanding, do not use your Uniflow to measure black powder. I believe it is an issue with the steel componants and combustion. Black powder drops usually have brass tumblers in them. Maybe it is a static issue? Not sure exactly why, but don't do it.

Regular primers work for black powder.

Use real black powder if you can find it. Substitutes are easier to find and do the trick but they aren't the same as real black powder.

FFFg is kind of the go to for most loading to my knowledge. The "Fs" have to do with how coarse/ fine the powder is cut. I believe Fg is the finest.

Many members here have much more knowledge of black powder loading than I do. Hopefully they will be along to help with your questions.

MyNameIsBob

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2014
    Plano
    Thanks for the advice. I hate to spend all that money for the black powder measure for one caliber that I won't be loading very often. If steel is in fact the problem, maybe the Lee powder measure would work? I think I have a couple of them somewhere, and if I recall, they're all plastic.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Dawico is right. Use all brass for anything that comes close to contact with the powder. The "f" is a way to determine how fine the powder is ground. Also effects how it burns. Fffg is pistol powder and should eork well in cartridges. As for the measure. Black powder is a volume measurement, not weight, so you use a different measuring device. Not sure about some of the newer types of BP substitutes but pyrodex is a 1 to 1 measure with fffg BP. With Triple 7, you would use 75%-80% by volume compared to BP. For 100gr equivelent load you would use only about 75gr by volume of Triple 7.
    Real black powder is a little harder to come by than sustitutes. A lot of places won't carry it because it is an explosive. The others are flamable substitutes for black powder and somewhat safer.
    IIRC, Track of the Wolf has some good stuff and links on black powder. Uncontained, it mostly just burns. But it does it faster than smokeless powder. Only explodes in large quantities or if contained, like in a pipe or barrel with a bullet.
    Black Powder is a LOT of fun to shoot though. But very dirty. WD40 will quickly become your best friend. The very best thing I know of for cleaning and preventing rust. Oh yeah, BP will corode. Absolutely DO NOT neglect cleaning.
    I personally shoot cap and ball. I prefer fffg black powdef, but pyrodex P works well too. Not as much smoke.
    As far as I know, because of the fundamental ways smokeless and black powder work, lighter loads than normal are fine as long as they are strong enough to get the projectle out of the barrel. You may notice a difference in recoil to modern guns too. More of a push instead of a snap.
    Enjoy man, they are a blast. Literally. :D

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    One more note that I have read is that black powder has to be packed tight in the case. If you load reduced charges the case must be filled with something else to compress the load. I think some people use corn starch as filler.

Again, maybe someone more experienced can confirm (or deny) this.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Loading BP cartridges is different then smokeless.

In a small case like the .32S&W use FFFg or FFFFg.
    There should be no air space in the case between powder and bullet. Use Cream of Wheat as a filler. Ideally you want a slightly compressed load.
    Use a soft pure lead bullet. Not a hard cast as you would in a smokeless loading.
    You'll also need to use a BP rated bullet lube. Smokeless bullet lube is too waxy and leaves too much goo in the gun. Its okay for a few shots but it'll gum things up quickly.
    BP powder charges are measured by volume. Not by weight like smokeless powder.

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    Get the Lyman Blackpowder book. The grades of the Holy Black are given F ratings, with the more F's the finer the granulation. For the pistol load you want to load for FFFg is fine. The actual loading of BP loads is fairly simple, though there are some specialized items to use, and some specialized knowledge to gain. I again highly recommend the Lyman BP loading book.
    Loading it is actually very easy, figure out where a loaded bullet's base will sit in the case, scoop BP into the case just above that mark, and compress it a mite slip an over powder card into the case, then seat the bullet. WHAT?? what is an over powder card? they are items that sit on top of the compressed powder, plastic milk jugs are perfect source. appropriate size hole punch and you have cards. Bullets?? You HAVE to use bullets with a lube designed for blackpowder. The hard wax lubes for smokeless bullets will cause your barrel to run dry and to cake up with fouling. You will also have to lube the cylinder spindle with lube.I figure for the size of that case, a regular pistol primer is fine. To load 45-70 and 45-90 I use magnum rifle primers.

Last edited:

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    You can also get or make lubed felt wads to go on top of the powder instead of cards. I forgot about correct lube on the bullets, I am more used to cap and ball. But still very similar. I just put the components into the cylinder one at a time instead of a case.
    Lyman's is always a good resource.

From an idjit coffeeholic

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    If you want to avoid the hassles of black powder, check into Trail Boss powder. It is the best choice for light smokeless powder loads. There should be plenty of info available for safe loads for your gun. SASS shooters seem to really like it.

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    Thanks for the advice. I hate to spend all that money for the black powder measure for one caliber that I won't be loading very often. If steel is in fact the problem, maybe the Lee powder measure would work? I think I have a couple of them somewhere, and if I recall, they're all plastic.

I use the Lee "Perfect Powder Measure" and 777 powder to load 45 Colt. I like 777 because it cleans with plain water. I use the Lee plastic scoops to load brass shot shells.

Perfect Powder Measure - Lee Precision

mrappe

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    I believe that most cowboy action shooters that shoot BP that I know use FFF. I use it in my Remington cap & ball pistols but I have not loaded it in cartridges yet. Make sure that you clean your gun every time when you are finished if you use BP in it. I use warm water and Simple Green to clean mine.

Top Bottom