• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pawn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2014
    Hi folks,

I just got a new toy and want to take it out to break it in but I'm getting dragged to a family event at my inlaws in Houston.

Not familiar with the ranges in the area but I'm looking for a decent range with a steel target bay at a reasonable price.

Elm Fork in DFW's steel range is decent, costs around 20 bucks for the range fee and you're free to come and go as you please for the day more or less. Just noting that for comparison. If there is anything like that in Houston, can y'all point me in the right direction?
    Hurley's Gold

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    If you don't know someone to get you into a private club, you're probably out of luck. American Shooting Center used to have a plate rack and that was the only public steel bay I've ever shot in the Houston area. However, last time I was there it was broken and they didn't seem interested in fixing it. Perhaps a regular at ASC can chime in.

Besides, what part of Houston will you be visiting? It's a spread-out place.

This may help: http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/houston/62225-greater-houston-gun-ranges.html

Last edited:

Pawn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2014
    Yeah, I don't know anybody in that area with access to any of the club ranges sadly.
    I'm used to the spread-out-ness, DFW is somewhat similar. Somewhere towards Humble is most likely where I'd want to shoot.
    Since it sounds like steel is a no-go, any recommendations are welcome. Distance isn't really a factor so if there is a range y'all think is awesome and worth driving a little bit out of the way for it - let me know. I'll look through the ranges on the list, but input from locals is appreciated.

Thanks

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I can give you a negative recommendation - Carter's Country. It's fairly close to Humble and large, so you'll be tempted. Don't do it.

The ones closest to you seem to be:
    Sportsman's Outlet and
    Blank

In the thread I cited earlier, there are proponents of both. Since I have no personal experience, I'll just cross my fingers and hope someone from Humble pipes up.

Pawn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2014
    Van Road Gun Range sounds like a good place and I may keep the Dayton range in mind as an alternative depending on how the weekend goes. Thanks guys, I appreciate the help.

Top Bottom