• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Higgins909

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2016
    Pflugerville
    I'm wanting to shoot some 9mm JHP or HP or some other kind of defense round, without breaking the bank. While I was at academy, boot shopping, I stopped and looked at ammo. The cheapest JHP I found was .6796c round. I'm used to shooting .18c~ ammo. Want to train with J-HP, with the intent to get some for defense, but still without breaking the bank.

Thanks,
    Higgins909

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    This is about as cheap as it's going to get for JHP, if you don't mind ordering online. 35¢ per round plus shipping and an excellent carry round.

https://www.bonefroggunclub.com/products/9mm-124gr-federal-premium-tactical-hst-jhp-50rds-p9hst1

Honestly tho, I wouldn't use JHP for training, other than to verify with 50 rounds or so, that it feeds reliably in your firearm. Just use FMJ with the same bullet weight as JHP you plan to carry. Or not. I EDC with the 124 gr HST rounds, but use 115 gr FMJ exclusively for practice. Once a year or so, I shoot a mag of the carry ammo and reload it with fresh ammo.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Freedom Munitions will sometimes run specials.
    I ended up with a case of them somehow.
    I don't think I ordered them, and it might have been their mix-up, but having bought many cases from them it's possible.

ETA: Wanted to add, I don't use them in my EDC for carry use.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    This is about as cheap as it's going to get for JHP, if you don't mind ordering online. 35¢ per round plus shipping and an excellent carry round.

https://www.bonefroggunclub.com/products/9mm-124gr-federal-premium-tactical-hst-jhp-50rds-p9hst1

Honestly tho, I wouldn't use JHP for training, other than to verify with 50 rounds or so, that it feeds reliably in your firearm. Just use FMJ with the same bullet weight as JHP you plan to carry. Or not. I EDC with the 124 gr HST rounds, but use 115 gr FMJ exclusively for practice. Once a year or so, I shoot a mag of the carry ammo and reload it with fresh ammo.

Ditto on this.. I usually by my 124 and 147s from BFGC and they ship pretty quick... 17 bucks for 50 rounds is about as good as you'll get.

Higgins909

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2016
    Pflugerville
    You guys don't buy your ammo in a big box store or some gun shop? I've looked at some online ammo places, but usually the shipping kills all the savings.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    You guys don't buy your ammo in a big box store or some gun shop? I've looked at some online ammo places, but usually the shipping kills all the savings.
    I've bought from every source imaginable. Yes, sometimes shipping kills the savings. Sometimes it doesn't. That's why it pays to keep an eye out for good deals, from whatever source, and stock up when you stumble across a good one.

You are using one or all of the ammo locator web sites, aren't you?

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    You guys don't buy your ammo in a big box store or some gun shop?

Nope. Even with shipping it's cheaper than buying locally. Especially the SD rounds. You'll pay the same price or more for a 20 round box in a LGS, plus tax, as a 50 round box on line. You said yourself the cheapest you could find was .6796 cpr. That's like $34 for 50 rounds. I doubt you can even find 50 round boxes of Federal HST at a LGS.

Tip: Don't buy just one box on line. Shipping will be around $10. It only goes up about 1$ for each additional box up to a certain point.

Last edited:

Steve_In_29

Semper Fi
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2015
    St John's, AZ
    I get all my defense ammo from SGAMMO.COM.

http://www.sgammo.com/

I think the FreedomMunitions brand HP ammo is fairly cheap and they have free shipping right now woth oder over $99
    You HAVE to compare pricing/shipping costs on EACH order and not just go with one vendor if you want to get the best deal on each order.

A buddy and I both recently purchased 900rds of Maly .308. Him from AIM Surplus while I bought from J&G Sales. His came to $0.44rd delivered and mine was $0.40rd (I saved $36 on the deal) despite both being $0.37rd before ship.

Tcruse

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Corinth
    Cabela's has IMI laser cut HP self defense ammo for $13.50 for 50 round box (Note: this is the new style that seems to do fine on expansion and penetration tests, older ones did poorly)
    Walmart has Remington HP, 100 rd box for $26 from time to time (Denton 288 store) - older HP bullet but still usable
    From time to time I also see Federal PB9 or PB9LE (+P) in the $16-18 range. A proven man stopper.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.

I just ordered 10 boxes.
    I don't have any 9mm carry ammo, and I figured it can't hurt, even if I don't carry a 9mm usually.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    As said, I go to ammo locator sites to find the type and brands I like and then find out what shipping is before buying, then figure out what I then would be paying per round. Many places have free shipping and others have a minimum order for free shipping, it pays to search around. I will often buy different calibers at the same site and that often gets me above any minimum.

Also at some sites you may need to verify age by sending via email some sort of ID.

Another thing I look at is how soon it will ship before buying, some can take a couple weeks or more.

Top Bottom