• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I second the hair drier. A heat gun would work, but it would be very easy to over do it with one. Trust me, I have done some damage with one. You want to do it just enough to soften the Kydex. You probably want the UNLOADED gun in the holster when you do it so that the Kydex keeps it's form and doesn't sag in.

cvgunman

Not a Leftist douchebag!
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 9, 2017
    Mckinney TX
    With a leather holster, I would wrap the pistol in waxed paper and put under heater in truck. Then wiggle around until it loosened up. You may try wrapping the tight area with something similar, then using heat gun or hair dryer. Don't get too loose, you may lose your retention.

ETA: If I remember correctly, it is tight there specifically for retention (though I could be wrong)

Last edited:

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    The reasons I suggested a hair blow dryer, is most people have one, or at least their wife does, and even if not, one can be bought rather cheaply at most dollar stores for under $10. and they don't get near as hot as a heat gun, so less chance of getting the Kydex too hot.

As mentioned, a heat gun will work, but not everyone has one, and if you do, just be very careful using it.

Sasquatch

30 Super Carry Post Whore 2K Champ
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Is this a custom job or a factory holster? Not to be a goob - but certain holsters are supposed to be tight, and have a specific drawstroke that allows easy draw. If you're pulling the gun in a direction not meant to go, you're actually adding resistance - and this becomes an issue of training to be familiar with the holster, moreso than a defect or too-tight a design. With kydex holsters, the trigger guard is the typical primary retention point. IT is supposed to snap in and out and hold securely.

I've been making kydex holsters for myself, and used to do it as a side business. I used to use ejection port as a point of retention BUT its way harder to get that "just right" and you will always be tearing up the inside of the holster using anything but the trigger guard as the retention point. If there's no thumb break or tension screws, or other retention mechanism you might not want to mess with the retention much. If the gun can drop out of the holster if held upside down, I'd say the retention is too loose.

For most people it seems unlikely, but I have had an incident with a holster that I made too loose where I fell (slipped on ice) and the gun popped out of the holster upon impacting the ground. At that point I had a loaded Glock 17 floating around inside my shirt (tuckable holster) doing its own thing. THAT is a feeling I don't care to experience again, so just be cautious when modding retention.

Top Bottom