• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    It was emphasized in our CCL class that if any of us ever fired a shot in any situation we would need a lawyer. He didn't promote or recommend any one. Fair enough. I thought our our class was very good to make the point if you pull and discharge your weapon regardless if it was justified you still have consequences and you will need to be prepared to deal with that. Not sure if the general public thinks about that prior to carrying a weapon.
    ARJ Defense ad

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Interesting read for sure. Lots of loopholes for TLS to deny coverage for sure. It's kind of making me think about just having a lawyer on retainer, which can be used for many other purposes as well. Fear mongering is definitely a word I use to describe TLS' pitch to our class. It worked too because my wife decided to buy it for us

If the loopholes include denying a person service due to their own ignorance of the law and/or commiting a crime prior to using their weapon, I call that doing exactly what they advertise.

If you can afford to have a lawyer on retainer then you should, TLS is not for you. Most people aren't going to be able to afford to do that. Have you priced lawyers out to have on retainer? And any lawyers or the like here can correct me, but my guess is it's going to be in the $500 a month area.

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    TLS talked for more than half our 10 hr class when i took it. I was not impressed. I felt the same way the OP did. They did have quite a few sign up though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Given the commission***cough***kickback that reportedly goes to the range/instructor, one can see the incentive to allow such sales pitches. To me, that is one main point of the lawsuit being discussed...shedding some light on the tactics used to recruit new members, NOT the efficacy of the so-called coverage. The 'coverage' or lack thereof is another matter.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    In my class, the instructor spent maybe 5 minutes explaining why it could be important to us. Offered us TLS coverage, but also explained that there were others out there to choose from. Which was good. Several in the class did not know anything was available.

from an idgit coffeeholic

Cracker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    I personally use Self Defense Fund for right now, I Felt after some research they were the better choice. I'll definetly look into some of the other options brought up here though.

SA_Steve

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    San Antonio, Texas USA
    I've hired several lawyers over the past few years and never was offered any kind of retainer arrangement. Maybe it is real, doctors seem to be doing it for around $800/month if nothing is wrong with you.

My lawyers are happy to take a $10,000 initial payment to get started on a specific problem. Pricey but still that's a far better deal than any LTC Group Insurance. Real insurance is highly regulated, but this stuff is just like the 3rd party extended warranties offered by mail on 6 year old cars.

The most critical thing if you are worried about a legal problem that gets you arrested is to have someone you trust who has money or can get to your money for the bail/lawyer.

DirtyMarcus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2016
    Austin
    I wouldn't attend an LTC class if I were to be subjected to a sales pitch of any kind.

When we took our class it wasn't mentioned beforehand that we'd be given a sales pitch. Hell our instructor spent half the time going off on tangents about Obama and liberals. I don't care for Obama or extreme liberals but damn, I could care less about what someone else's views. Especially when they are teaching a class like this.

cncfan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2015
    Houston
    When I took my class we had a person from TLS give a talk. A bit longer than I would have liked. (I already carry TLS).
    But looking around my class I did not see one person that looked like they were being pressured. He pointed out a few examples
    of why you should carry some kind of insurance like TLS even if anyone did not want to sign up with TLS. Out of a class of about 20 I think 3 or 4 signed up that day.

Not sure why any adult in any carry class would feel pressured to buy anything from insurance to lollipops no matter what someone was telling them.

IMO the lawsuit refereed to in another post is someone trying to get their hands in what they think are deep pockets.

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    Not sure why any adult in any carry class would feel pressured to buy anything from insurance to lollipops no matter what someone was telling them.

You mean the same way no adult should ever feel pressured to by Gap Insurance, Extended Warranty coverage, undercoating, extended service plans or fabric protectant while trapped in the F&I office at the car dealership?

I'd say the folks feel a bit of pressure from "most" of the accounts I've heard. Guy who makes a living in the gun business tells you that you face a world of hurt if you EVER need to use your weapon...while you are in a CLASSROOM setting...and you NEED this "coverage" and you're crazy to get your license and not have this "coverage". Yeah, no one would feel the slightest pressure. That's why the commission is so significant...face to face with a captured clientele...in a setting in which you are being told WHAT TO DO with a GUN...no pressure there.

DirtyMarcus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2016
    Austin
    You mean the same way no adult should ever feel pressured to by Gap Insurance, Extended Warranty coverage, undercoating, extended service plans or fabric protectant while trapped in the F&I office at the car dealership?

I'd say the folks feel a bit of pressure from "most" of the accounts I've heard. Guy who makes a living in the gun business tells you that you face a world of hurt if you EVER need to use your weapon...while you are in a CLASSROOM setting...and you NEED this "coverage" and you're crazy to get your license and not have this "coverage". Yeah, no one would feel the slightest pressure. That's why the commission is so significant...face to face with a captured clientele...in a setting in which you are being told WHAT TO DO with a GUN...no pressure there.
    Exactly. It wasn't so much they were saying we HAD to buy it. It was the implied financial ruin, court costs, hassle, potential jail time, fighting possible agenda driven DA's, Grand juries, etc. It was all fire and brimstone. Literally it was so bad, when my wife and I walked out of the class we had second thoughts about concealed carrying anymore. We discussed it at home and have decided too. Mainly because id rather go to jail than not be able to protect herself and me. IMO, you should never walk out of an LTC class feeling like you don't want to carry.

Engraving

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 18, 2016
    Central Austin
    My experience was as a newb learning to shoot and taking a CHL class in Soith Austin. I naturally trusted the instructors word, ands it was presented that I'd be putting myself at serious risk if I didn't look at "coverage". TLS was then presented as seemed to be the only option available. Did I feel pressured? Well left with option that I'd be risking my liberty and finances if I didn't, I'd say that was tacit pressure. I've always felt that was wrong of the instructor to stack the deck with never even a mention of any alternatives. Thanks for this thread and mentioning the other "providers". I shall be choosing on of them as TLS send me scare tactic emails bi weekly I'd say. If they and the instructor were forthcoming I'd have no issue with paying the maintenance fee.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    If I'm taking a class then I'm part of captured audience.

The only thing I want to hear is the teacher teaching what ever the subject happens to be, not his political views, or anecdotes unrelated to the subject matter, and he/she damn sure better not try to sell me something. I'm there to learn about a certain subject, not be surprised with having the lessons to be learned hijacked by a sales pitch.

In the past, I've walked out of 2 separate classes (completely unrelated to guns) when a surprise sales attempt was made.

I say attempt as I didn't stick around long enough to hear what they were trying to sell.

Can you tell I hate being surprised by a sales pitch when I'm in a captive audience?

Top Bottom