• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    I was at a local gun store this past Saturday. While talking with a salesman about their selection of 1911s, the salesamn said have you seen one of these? He then handed me a Magnum Research G model 1911. He said try the trigger. I did. The trigger on this production MR 1911 was better than my Les Baer premier II, and a hell of a lot cheaper. I have read good things about the MR line of 1911s, but I have never bought one. The "large" rollmark they use has always turned me off. After handling this MR 1911 I may have to go back this Saturday and add it to my collection.

Anyone have personal experience with the Magnum Research line of firearms, good or bad?
    Capitol Armory ad

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Buddy has one of their 10/22 clones and it is a tack driver. Good trigger out of the box. For it's price I would have expected a few more frills, like a extended mag release, auto bolt release, bolt buffer, etc. but it's a nice shooting gun.

NorthTXMike

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2013
    I havent shot one of their 1911's but I have shot one of the .44 Magnum Desert Eagles. In that realm they make one hell of a firearm. If they do as good on 1911s, it should be worth the price.

2ManyGuns

Revolver's, get one, shoot the snot out of it!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    I have this

.22WMR Hogue OverMolded Rifle
    MLR22WMH (model)

One of the best .22 magnums I have ever owned, extremely light weight, paired with a Nikon scope, it is unbelievable. I had a chance at MR1911 but didn't purchase it. I just was out of space in my safe.

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    Yeah, that roll mark is almost a deal breaker. I sold my collection of polymer firearms today, so I have a couple of thousand to buy more toys with. Decisions, decisions, decisions.......
    The Magnum Research 1911 I looked at Saturday had a trigger that was as good as any custom trigger job I have ever seen. It broke crisp at 3.5 lbs. and had absolutely no creep or take up. I need to go back and check a few other things about it, prior to making a decision.
    I assume MR products do not maintain their resale value when compared to a Colt, Springfield, or even a Kimber. That will probably change once people appreciate how well they are made.
    A similar thing happened with CZ products. At first no one knew anything them and you could finsome good deals. Now they are scare and pricey. My first CZ 75B P01 sold for $395 (NIB) my last one was $595 (NIB). Both are the limited production (800 total production run) green pistols CZ made for a few years

Last edited by a moderator:

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    I think I will pass.
    I am old school when it comes to 1911s. My favorites are the blued Colt 1911s that Colt produced back in the late 70s and into the 80s.
    Last year I bought a Colt Combat Government model from a guy here at work. He got it from a Florida Motorcop his dad knew. Most of it's life was as a service pistol. It was about 90% when it came to the finish, but the grips had been converted, and cheap aftermarket night sights had been added. The iginition system was in dire need or repair. I have since replaced the grip panels with original Colt checkered wood panels. I replaced the sights with period correct iron sights, which brings the pistol back to it's original exterior beauty. I repaced the ignition parts with custom parts from Cylinder and Slide. The trigger and hammer are Wilson Combat. When this pistol is rubbed down with a little gun oil and then polished dry, it is a real beauty. That is the way Colt built guns years ago. Now, everyone wants a painted gun. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know the painted guns are more durable. But for me, an older model blued Colt 1911 is perfect. Have you ever seen a Colt Phyton? Pure heaven in your hands my friends.

Kinny

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2013
    Houston
    I've seen quite a few Colt revolvers coming through the store from transfers and they are beautiful. You know exactly what you want and that's not a bad thing. I am more or less not as choosy as you when it comes to finish. As long as it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb like pink, I'm good. LOL

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    Yep. That is why there are so many vendors in the marketplace selling 1911 versions.
    If a person can't find a 1911 he likes these days, you must not be looking hard enough.

BG1960

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Unincorporated East Harris County
    I'm with you, I can't stand all the coated 1911's. And that MR roll mark IS a deal breaker for me. STI too. It amazes me all these manufacturers gouge these crappy 70's trophy shop graphics into high dollar firearms.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I fondled a MR 1911 at a dealership. Owner is a master gunsmith on 1911s too. I liked it. He loved it. Grain of salt anyone?

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    "LOUD BANG SEX, OR THE PISTOL?"

I will pass on the Guncrafters gun with no name. They have them listed for $2,900 on their website. For that kind of money I can find somthing a lot nicer. Over my 43 years of experience with the 1911, I have owned Wilson Combat and Les Baer 1911s which sell for big bucks. I am a practical kind of guy. If I can find a nice shooting 1911 that is reasonably priced, I prefer it over high end 1911s. When I sold my last Les Baer Premier II, I took the money and bought two excellent shooting Springfield 1911s.
    To some people, things are not good unless they cost a lot of money. I prefer something that works well and doesn't break the bank. I can appreciate the quality and workmanship of a Wilson Combat, Ed Brown, or Les Baer; but if it doesn't shoot rings around my $800 Springfield "Loaded" then I don't want another one. My last Springfield acquisition was a Range Officer. I paid $650 for it when Cabela's opened in Allen. Damn fine weapon and as accurate as any "High End" 1911 I have ever owned.

Dred

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Uh oh ... maybe I should explain ... First, I have not pulled a GI trigger. I have handled one example and I know a few owners scattered about.

However, as a marketer - my preference is to collect rent for advertisements emblazoned across the slide of my handguns. My shooting is unlikely to earn me any endorsements, so I prefer to do my thing quietly and without excess fashion or fad. A major influence on the choice of my vbob when I decided to get a handgun for myself was the IMO tasteful branding. Both my car and motorcycles have been debadged.

I can get an unmarked 1911 meeting my expectations three ways: 1) buy a $3k GI noname, 2) buy a $2k handgun, carefully sand off markings with care to retain s/n and maker information followed by a $400 refinish - tanks the value of the investment, or 3) Assemble a pistol from components which will add to at least $2500 plus smithing and it will result in a pistol worth no more than the name of the smith. Since I can't afford Chuck Rodgers or Larry Vickers ... I rate the noname a bargain - for the unnecessary luxury that it is.

At this point I have a vbob with no mods beyond firing it and some fancy shoes, an STI that is anything but sedate and I'm only changing the front sight 'cause I can't see plain black, 3 Rocks which are lined up for everything from checkering to carry melts to full on high $ refinishing, 3 Sigs which are only 1911 lites (938 & 238) one of which needs the grips replaced to make me happy. I'm not opposed to project pistols - I have 3 which have projects lined up but they'll progress slowly 'cause I enjoy shooting them all.

XinTX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    South of Houston
    I've fondled a few MRs, but never have shot one. They all appear to have very good fit and finish. Love to have one, but a tad too rich for me at the moment.

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    I purchased a DE1911C from Bud's Gun Shop today. I originally had a Springfield Trophy Match on reserve with them, but it has been three months and no pistol so far. It is just as well, I found one locally and have put about 300 rounds through it by now. Really nice pistol, by the way.
    Bud's had $250 of my money as a down payment on the Trophy Match, so I just switched it to the purchase of the DE1911C. At $775 (w/free shipping), I feel it is a little over valued, but who knows with the political enviroment the way it is.
    If my privilages do not get revoked, I will relay my opinions of this pistol after I get some range time with it. I like the fact that the 4.25" barrel does not have the forward serrations like the full size model does. It sort of makes the rollmark not so dominate. Cleans up the side, so to speak.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    They are excellent guns. I'm just not too thrilled about that gigantic roll mark on the side.

I too hate that. They take a decent firearm and fugg it up with some giant roll mark advertising the gun. I have stayed away from guns solely because of that. Hell, my SP101 with that stoopid billboard of "READ THE MANUAL" lawyer roll mark pisses me off. I have looked into how to get that off but haven't done it yet.

Top Bottom