• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nicholst55

Retired, Twice.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2021
    Houston Area
    Around here, they relocate the large ones. I have seen some good size gators in our local creeks and (manmade) ponds, but they don't stay there long. This is in Fort Bend County, south and west of Houston.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

I grew-up around alligators. We mostly ignored them.

That specific one should have been shot right then.

Those children were in imminent danger, and were not acting appropriately.

That particular gator should be caught and KILLED.

Period !

leVieux

<>

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    <>

I grew-up around alligators. We mostly ignored them.

That specific one should have been shot right then.

Those children were in imminent danger, and were not acting appropriately.

That particular gator should be caught and KILLED.

Period !

leVieux

<>
    I guess you was all for killing HARAMBE the gorilla too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harambe

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Which do you value more? Children or a gator?
    I value you good old fashion common sense. Its a damn shame that everything has to come with a warning label that the ignorant don't or cannot read. Anyone who chooses to think a large fresh water source in Texas is free of alligators & cotton mouths really needs to relocate to Canada.

dc3acc67e24f6c2b82540611de05bc9c-4150140337.png
    153d5d3e-b68f-44d5-8c6d-a67efff25109_1920x1080-1074151137.jpeg

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    So folks should just give up on the lake at Huntsville State Park? A lake that for decades had no gators?

Never go swimming in Texas?

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    So folks should just give up on the lake at Huntsville State Park? A lake that for decades had no gators?

Swim to your hearts content anywhere you want anytime you want, but don't punish an alligator with a golf ball sized brain from doing what they do. Especially as someone mentioned an alligator that probably 100 years old.

All the recent drought that Texas has had, causes alligators following the water. That could be the reason that alligators there, but I suspect the only reason its an issue it because some one caught it on their phones camera.

The fact that there is no life guard stationed there tells you its swim at your own risk. This nanny state crap of killing animals because a human dumber then the animal is the kind of crap I'd expect from a Democrat.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Swim to your hearts content anywhere you want anytime you want, but don't punish an alligator with a golf ball sized brain from doing what they do. Especially as someone mentioned an alligator that probably 100 years old.

All the recent drought that Texas has had, causes alligators following the water. That could be the reason that alligators there, but I suspect the only reason its an issue it because some one caught it on their phones camera.

The fact that there is no life guard stationed there tells you its swim at your own risk. This nanny state crap of killing animals because a human dumber then the animal is the kind of crap I'd expect from a Democrat.
    A life guard is not intended to protect you (or save you) from gators. That is not a risk those signs ("no lifeguard, swim at your own risk") intend to address and you are smart enough to know that.

I am not saying wipe out all gators. But one like that will keep coming back. And I have no qualms with the occasional gator being killed, regardless of its age.

If that were your grandkids in the water I doubt you would be saying "the only reason its an issue it because some one caught it on their phones camera."

I guess you let fire ants live on your lawn unimpeded. Or in your house if they come in (which they have been known to do)? Leave scorpions roaming around in your house?

Your last statement is not even worth addressing.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    A life guard is not intended to protect you (or save you) from gators. That is not a risk those signs ("no lifeguard, swim at your own risk") intend to address and you are smart enough to know that.

I am not saying wipe out all gators. But one like that will keep coming back. And I have no qualms with the occasional gator being killed, regardless of its age.

If that were your grandkids in the water I doubt you would be saying "the only reason its an issue it because some one caught it on their phones camera."

I guess you let fire ants live on your lawn unimpeded. Or in your house if they come in (which they have been known to do)? Leave scorpions roaming around in your house?

A life guard would be over seeing the area & tell you to GTFO of the water if a gator was present. They more then likely would have not allowed anyone in the water until a game warden came & wrangles that gator.

I have Lake Limestone across the street from me. Its been said that it has alligators, as its defiantly in the range of alligator habitat. Do people swim in it? Hell yes, but not many. Like I said before cottonmouths are just as common as alligators. While both alligators & cottonmouths could ruin your day, they both rarely do.

As far as fire ants go I actually do not poison their mounds. But when I'm outside in the yard I look out for them. And on occasions I have found scorpions inside I catch them & release them outside.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    I guess you was all for killing HARAMBE the gorilla too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harambe

<>

<>

As I said, I grew-up around the gators. Dad had a 2nd home at Intracoastal City and PawPaw had a houseboat on Mallard Bay in the great coastal fresh marsh. Today I have them in my backyard weekly.

The ‘’conservation’’ effort went way too far, gators abound today and are a definite nuisance & real danger to people, pets, & stock.

We keep carbines at our doors.

Why would you accuse me of wanting to shoot a gorilla, which is. higher animal and a species I’m unfamiliar with ?

Guess it is time to ’’ignore’’ you again. . . . .

leVieux

<>

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas

No, but they should keep their eyes open and understand the environment they are recreating in has hazards.

I wish someone or a group of someones would drop off a dozen or two gators in Town Lake to give Austin City Council a dilemma.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Tex62

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014
    The great thing about fishing at a lake with Gators , the are no jet skiers or water skiers on the lake.
    A great example is Choke Canyon at Three Rivers.
    State record 800 lb from Choke.
    View attachment 406494

Eh. Water skied False River in Louisiana in the 80s when they were protected. You’d see 10-12 footers all the time.

Was more worried about Water Moccasins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine

<>

This was only of historical interest until the ‘’conservation programs’’ got totally out of hand and caused the gator populations to explode.

Today we suffer a massive overpopulation of gators, both in their normal habitats and in suburban areas. Think similar to the feral hog problem, but with an apex predator capable of grabbing a child, a dog, or a calf in a spit second.

Forty years back, I could take a boat ride, occasionally seeing 1 or 2 gators. Now I see dozens every mile or two.

BTW, they are also cannabiistic and will eat their own offspring & siblings if the opportunity arises.

Any gator which has no fear of humans presents a danger to innocents.

The gator populations need to be controlled better. Anyone living in ‘’gator territory’’ can relate horror stories. . . . . . .

leVieux

<>

Last edited:

cbp210

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Humble, TX
    I live about four blocks from Lake Houston and when it floods in the area we have to watch out for gators swimming in the area. Our last flood people were finding gators inside their homes and tons of Game Wardens were dispatched to catch them along with those trappers from Gator Rescue an outfit based in Fanin. When our streets flooded I was outside with my rifle handy along with several of my neighbors and one of them who is a long time resident told me if you see two eyes staring at you in the water shoot it. He was not joking.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    No, but they should keep their eyes open and understand the environment they are recreating in has hazards.

I wish someone or a group of someones would drop off a dozen or two gators in Town Lake to give Austin City Council a dilemma.

When the power plant was operational, there was a fairly large population of caimans in Town Lake.

The warm water discharge would keep them alive in the winter.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015

If you are in the water swimming, a gator is not the easiest thing in the world to spot.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Things I didn't know...

<>

In unaltered Nature, the American Alligator was found as far North as southern Illinois. Winter freezes do NOT kill many of them.

Years back, a very large gator was roped by Vaqueros in the chaparral at Freer, Texas, far from much water.

When Nature controlled their numbers, they were a relatively minor danger.

<>

Top Bottom