• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • emaroquin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Hi everyone, I want to ask you guys about something.
    Is the Maverick 88 capable of shooting Slugs (Like this ones http://www.remington.com/~/media/Images/Ammunition/Shotshells/MRslugger.ashx?w=570&bc=ffffff ) or will I wear out the barrel? The same question with Magnum Cartridges.

Someone told me that it is not recomendable to use Slugs and Magnum Cartridges on Maverick 88 shotguns, or else I will wear out the barrel or even brake some parts inside the shotgun, because he said it is not designed for heavy loads.

I want to read your opinions and experiences about it.
    Gun Zone Deals

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    If the shotgun is rated for the length of shell you are using it will be fine, unless the manual specifically states "no high brass" or something to that extent. The barrel should be stamped with the acceptable length. "2 3/4", etc.

Slugs won't wear out the barrel.

Sent from my HAL 9000

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    It should take any 2 3/4 or 3 inch shell. I have customers that shoot almost nothing but slugs and buckshot in theirs with no problems.

sent from an idgit coffeeholic

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Could be. He could check out the people at shotgun world.
    Shotgunworld.com has good forum for shotgun stuff too. As well as a link to the Mossberg collectors association. If you want to know about shotguns, it's probably thete somewhere.

sent from an idgit coffeeholic

Flyingswords

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2012
    Smiths Station AL
    ive shot slugs out of my Mav 88. They were the normal full power loads for the 2 3/4" variety no magnums. I also shot 3" 00 buck out of it. The only shells I havent run through it yet are magnums and 3" slugs

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I've owned several of the Mossberg 88's and Mossberg 500's and have disassembled them completely to compare the construction. The safety location differs (88 is on the trigger group and the 500 is on the upper tang of the stock).

Examining part by part, I cannot recommend one over the other and for me, the two models are so similar that any argument about which is better is just hot air.

There is a price difference, but the choice you must make is whether you prefer the safety on the trigger group (model 88) like the 870 Remington or on the tang (model 500) and be willing to pay about $100 more for the 500.

As to the 88 being a "cheapie", Mossberg doesn't advertise this, but they offer no barrel replacements for the 88. Truth be told, any barrels offered by Mossberg are listed only for the 500 model. The same barrels fit and function perfectly in the model 88. SO.....yes, you can lay in a selection of barrels and have your 88 convert into several styles of gun from HD to bird hunting.

Several of my 88's are marked "Made in Eagle Pass, Texas."

The cheapest Mossberg barrel I found was a short, non vent rib model on sale for $78 at Midway. It fits the 88 and the 500.

Here's a slug barrel on sale:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/54...r-bore-with-rifle-sights-steel-blue-blemished

Flash

Last edited:

emaroquin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    OP may not know that the Maverick is Mossberg's "economy" model, and think it's from a different company.

Of course I know its the same company, just as the New Haven Mossberg brand, but in Mossberg forums obviously they will flatter the brand. Here there are persons who have the weapon, but will talk more sincere.

emaroquin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    I've owned several of the Mossberg 88's and Mossberg 500's and have disassembled them completely to compare the construction. The safety location differs (88 is on the trigger group and the 500 is on the upper tang of the stock).

Examining part by part, I cannot recommend one over the other and for me, the two models are so similar that any argument about which is better is just hot air.

There is a price difference, but the choice you must make is whether you prefer the safety on the trigger group (model 88) like the 870 Remington or on the tang (model 500) and be willing to pay about $100 more for the 500.

As to the 88 being a "cheapie", Mossberg doesn't advertise this, but they offer no barrel replacements for the 88. Truth be told, any barrels offered by Mossberg are listed only for the 500 model. The same barrels fit and function perfectly in the model 88. SO.....yes, you can lay in a selection of barrels and have your 88 convert into several styles of gun from HD to bird hunting.

Several of my 88's are marked "Made in Eagle Pass, Texas."

The cheapest Mossberg barrel I found was a short, non vent rib model on sale for $78 at Midway. It fits the 88 and the 500.

Here's a slug barrel on sale:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/54...r-bore-with-rifle-sights-steel-blue-blemished

Flash

So you recommend me to use slugs?

Thanks for the answer

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    So you recommend me to use slugs?

As long as you don't try to squeeze a slug through a tight choke barrel.....sure! The same caution, however, applies to any shotgun brand or model. That barrel that I posted above is specifically designed for slugs. Recoil is substantial........ouch!

Kidding aside, shotgun slugs are in a whole class of weaponry shared by many other kinds of really powerful cartridges. At 50 yards, they expand to about 1 1/2 inches in diameter and would knock just about any animal down. You're launching one ounce or more of solid lead.

Flash

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Keep in mind, sabot slugs for rifled barrel, rifled slugs for smooth bore.

Sent from my HAL 9000

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Of course I know its the same company, just as the New Haven Mossberg brand, but in Mossberg forums obviously they will flatter the brand. Here there are persons who have the weapon, but will talk more sincere.
    Check out the forum at shotgunworld.com. they are pretty honest abot thier assesment of a model.
    Mossberg has been making them for quite a while. And frankly, they work. Some people will bad mouth a shotgun for no other reaso than they can't hit stuff with it. And most likely the teason for that is they don't know how to use it or it doesn't fit them right.
    Shoot your 88 and have fun.

from an idgit coffeeholic

epwrangler

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2011
    El Paso, Texass
    Someone was joshin' you as a tenderfoot. Slugs are fine as is anything that will fit the chamber. Only thing is you might not like the recoil from hot loads.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    I will not mince words, your "friend" is an idiot. Any ammo made by a reputable maker in the appropriate length for the gun will work fine. SAAMI sets the dimensional and pressure limits for ammo and all the bigger gun and ammo makers are members of SAAMI. Interchangeability is the purpose of SAAMI.

A soft lead slug will somehow "wear out" a hard steel barrel? Ask him to explain this kindergarten logic. 3" Magnum 12 ga ammo will likely accelerate wear, but you will not notice a difference before your shoulder is calloused or out of joint.

Top Bottom