Venture Surplus ad

Maybe it was a good thing for BSO to stay outside.......

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    The man WITH the gun was told to drop it, he didn't, and was shot.
    Such are the dangers inherent with people carrying weapons, and engaging the bad guy.
    LEO's don't know who is the real target.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    2 things.

1. BSO were uniformed officers. Not random people taking their shirt off to prepare for the fight.

2. Why the **** did he remove his shirt? Did he want to look a little bit like a crazy guy just in case he had to deal with "whatever"?

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    If a cop says drop it, drop it like it’s hot.
    I know this is an edge case, but one of the first things I thought of when I saw the new DigiTrigger was "What happens if you've got it set to discharge on both pull and release and, after pulling the trigger, a cop orders you to drop it? You have to hold the trigger for 6 seconds or the rifle will fire."

So "drop it like it's hot" won't always work.

The chances of that situation happening are zero, I know, but that's the way my mind works.

DwnRange

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2015
    And my intended point of view asks the question - can "I" as a one time deputy of a small village, where my Dad was once the Sheriff, (sort of like Mayberry, as dad didn't carry, I did, concealed, and yea, I had a loaded firearm, not just "one" bullet) - recognize the difference between a man with a gun in his hand threatening to "actually" shoot me or Dad, between a man with a gun in his hand that does NOT appear as if he intends to "actually" shoot me, Dad or others.

I would not have taken the job if I did not feel I possess'd the ability to distinguish between the two scenarios - no LEO should.

There will always be "arrivals" on scenes in which we may or may not have gotten the FULL skinny of what is going down, (although in the small village Dad or I generally got a phone call, as there was no dispatcher, just Dad and I, if he was working his daily job), but here's an instance where the victim's "posture" seems to have been ignored, for in this instance ya did have other folks holding down a person - (as to the shirt "off" who knows maybe his wife just bought it for him, weird I know, but not something that might make him a potential target in my book, as the posture of the handgun would be "my" primary focus).

Personally, I think "dropping" the gun was the wrong command, as I would have been satisfied with a command like "put the gun down" (which would not necessarily involve dropping a loaded firearm, which is, as stated by the victim, an iffy safety issue, depending on the type of handgun involved here).

similarly.......Running into a school full of panicked and screamin' kids, with active gunfire, does not engender a warm and comfy feeling in anyone, LEO or not. Knowing and being aware that one might have to take a shot at a perpetrator surrounded by others is not an easy thought to process and it seems very few folks understand that - many decisions which must be made in "milliseconds" will be questioned for days, months or years - as we see it being done here - by many folks "who were not there", (Rule #4 - be aware of your target and what is behind it). Tough choices are just that and one cannot expect the correct choice to be made ALL the time - so perhaps my "title" above bears some consideration.

Top Bottom