• ...and so much more!
  • TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    I once tried to drive a standard transmission, but something was missing. :roflfunny:
    IMG_5259.png

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    I'm not making the connection I guess. Millennials are in their 30's and 40's now. Most that I know grew up with standards.
    And even at that age, a lot of them cant drive a stick.

Regardless, an idiot steeling a car that has to abandon it because he cant figure out how to drive it! That there is funny shit!

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    The article says he was shot as he was running away. That sounds like a gray area to me. Could a DA argue that the threat was gone if this is the case?
    Not a grey area. There was no deadly threat and per Texas PC §9.42, you also may not use deadly force to protect theft of a vehicle (section (3)(A) ).
    So if the DA wants to prosecute, the victim is going away for years.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Not a grey area. There was no deadly threat and per Texas PC §9.42, you also may not use deadly force to protect theft of a vehicle (section (3)(A) ).
    So if the DA wants to prosecute, the victim is going away for years.
    Depends on if the carjacker was armed or appeared to be armed.
    Citizen has a right to recover his property and we do not know if the thief who previously carjacked the owner was armed or appeared to be armed.
    Running away does not necessarily mean not a threat. Easy enough to point a gun behind you while running

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    Even at night?

Although, in this case, they didn't take the car.
    Correct.
    Night time does not automatically give you the powers to execute thieves. There is still the exclusion in section (3)(A) "he reasonably believes that the land or property cannot be protected or recovered by any other means" which is legalese for "items that are identifiable (such as a license plate or a VIN) and can be returned to you after recovery". But IANAL.

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    Depends on if the carjacker was armed or appeared to be armed.
    Citizen has a right to recover his property and we do not know if the thief who previously carjacked the owner was armed or appeared to be armed.
    Running away does not necessarily mean not a threat. Easy enough to point a gun behind you while running
    I don't disagree. But don't just shoot people in the back assuming they might be armed. If it turns out they weren't, you're in hot water (aka jail).

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    Correct.
    Night time does not automatically give you the powers to execute thieves. There is still the exclusion in section (3)(A) "he reasonably believes that the land or property cannot be protected or recovered by any other means" which is legalese for "items that are identifiable (such as a license plate or a VIN) and can be returned to you after recovery". But IANAL.

IANAL - wha? You're Anal ?

Oh. I Am Not A Lawyer.

Meh. Same thing. Never mind.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I don't disagree. But don't just shoot people in the back assuming they might be armed. If it turns out they weren't, you're in hot water (aka jail).
    Nope. That is incorrect as well. Reasonable belief. Some shitbag that you just caught breaking into your vehicle says “ Bitch, I got sumptin’ fo yo ass” as he is walking away while reaching down the front of his pants, is a very good candidate for being shot.

An Austin jury thought so too.( not me but someone I know)

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    Correct.

Are you an attorney?

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Learned to drive on my grandpa's 56 Chevy PU when I was 6, starter on the floor. I couldn't reach the pedals, so he worked the clutch and I shifted the three on the tree. He then let me drive his 70 Chevy pickup when I was 10, also three on the tree.

All my kids learned to drive a standard too. It was fun for them in HS to make fun of guys who couldn't drive a standard.

Top Bottom