• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Since we're on the subject.
    I don't let my bore get lead or copper fouled.
    I ignore carbon fouling for a hundred rounds or so.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I clean my bore every time I think it needs it.

So, not that often. Usually just oiled patches to remove carbon. My bottle of Butches Bore Shine will probably be handed down to my kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    I usually run a bore brush a couple of times after each outing then a couple of bore patches. Every here and than I do the solution to clear up the copper and bore brush then use patches until I get no black residue on the patch. Is that too much?

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    But the .338 is 100% more awesome. Don't forget to take that into account.
    338s are awesome for sure. I've got a nice manners T2A elite stock in long action waiting for me to make up my mind what I want to build. I'm pretty sure I want a 300 Norma but a 338 is badass and will have slightly better barrel life.
    It's .03 bigger, meaning the advantage is .015 in terms of accuracy required.

I'm willing to give .338 shooters that's advantage. Just encourages me to hit .015" closer to the bull. Also, that difference will only come in to play if the shot is within .015" of breaking the line. You must break the line between one ring and the next not just touch it.

I guess we could have a class for .22 cal, 6mm/.243, .25 cal, .30 cal, .357, .338, .375, .416, and .50. But it would be hard to keep track and have enough entrants in each category to keep it going.

I think it's easier to let anyone with a center fire shoot and just have fun with it. If a .338 guy wins, we'll just make fun of him for using the bigger round as a crutch. He probably didn't want to shoot freehand either, and got a manicure before the match :laughing:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any point on the circumference of the bullet can break the plane of the line so the 10% larger area does come into play, not just the increase in diameter. Even if I had a 338 I wouldn't use it for this though. 300gr bergers are too expensive for 100yd shooting :laughing:

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    I'm lazy, I don't clean my crap til accuracy degrades. On factory barrels that's usually very couple hundred, with quality barrels that are broken it that's usually 4-500 rounds aside from an occasional bore snake to knock some carbon out since I shoot suppressed it gets dirty.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I usually run a bore brush a couple of times after each outing then a couple of bore patches. Every here and than I do the solution to clear up the copper and bore brush then use patches until I get no black residue on the patch. Is that too much?
    Mine gets a bore snake with Hoppe's #9 about every 20-30 rounds. It hasn't needed any more yet. I used brushes and copper cutter when I got it used about 400 rounds ago. Probably still good for another 1000 or so until I notice a change in accuracy.

But to each their own. That is just my method.

ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    I'm lazy, I don't clean my crap til accuracy degrades. On factory barrels that's usually very couple hundred, with quality barrels that are broken it that's usually 4-500 rounds aside from an occasional bore snake to knock some carbon out since I shoot suppressed it gets dirty.
    I have gotten lazy with cleaning since I have been out of the military. I used to be stupid about cleaning them. I used to clean my weapons just because I was bored lol.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Fired some rounds at a target last Saturday.
    In the wind and light rain. It was ugly. Heh.

Hoping for fair weather this Saturday.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Fired some rounds at a target last Saturday.
    In the wind and light rain. It was ugly. Heh.

Hoping for fair weather this Saturday.

I'm hoping for enough fair weather that my range isn't still underwater or a "mudfest" to get downrange to the targets.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    Why would we not do group sizes for a contest? Every other contest I've participated in is done this way and it gives no advantage to a given caliber. The 30 shot challenge on snipershide is a good one because it takes away some of the advantage for guys who've got nice rifles and handloads. It's more a test of consistency and focus moreso than raw accuracy potential of the rifle. I've got a custom 223 with my handloads drives tacks literally but it's hard to hold together six 5 shot groups to the true potential of the rifle.

My personal experience from shooting the hell out of the rimfire challenge is that this a far greater test of your marksmanship vs. your guns. I could explain all the reasons why, but I know you know what I mean. If not, shoot this challenge and tell me later if you still think smallest group tells you more about a shooter vs. their gear.

ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    I am planning on going out again tomorrow. I hope I shoot better tomorrow then my first attempt but my first attempt was to light a fire under everyone's butt to get some motivation to try it too.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Busy rookies
    Top Bottom