• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • robertc1216

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    Cypress
    Alright I got a mossberg a few months back, with an 8 shell tube. I ran accross a pretty good deal on a slug barrel so I got it. problem is this slug barrel is meant for 5-6 shell tube. my question is can I swap out that tube back and forth. or should I just hang on to it till I get a skeet/ hunting shotgun that it will fit.
    Thanks Robert.
    DK Firearms

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    So the mag tube extension will hang out past the end of the slug barrel? And you don't have the original mag cap? Am I understanding this correctly, or is the mag tube one piece that holds 8 rounds?

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I just looked at Mossberg's website, and I understand your problem now. The barrels are made for different length mag tubes, not a standard length with an extension on it to get to 8 shots. OK.

Did a little searching, and the tube unscrews, either by hand on some, or with a strap wrench and vise on others. They are easy to damage or crush it you don't use the right tools and it won't come off by hand. You may also try holding the receiver with your legs and using two hands. Just hand tighten the new one, and it should be fine. Brownells lists a 5 round mag tube for $30, but they are out of stock. You may be able to find it somewhere else also, even Mossberg directly. You will also need a shorter mag tube spring, you could cut yours, but then it wouldn't work for the original tube.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    They say to grab it toward the far end where the barrel ring goes. Apparently it is stronger there. That is, if it doesn't come off by hand.

robertc1216

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    Cypress
    I don't think it will come off by hand. When I first got it I took it all the way down to figure it all out and gave it a good twist just to see if it would come off, well it didn't budge...

Top Bottom