• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Benders has some nice homes, we looked there first when we moved to this side of town (along with Harmony and Woodson's Reserve). We looked at building and buying, mainly because of the favorable tax rate and acre+ lots. FWIW Woodson's didn't have any nice lots for their homes, they're all on top of each other. Existing nice homes in Benders were either out of our budget (1M+), or aging shells that would have cost 1M+ anyway by the time you did the work to bring it up to snuff. Ultimately when it came down to it, there were a lot of things that pushed us into a less expensive home north of 99 in the Falls. One of the biggest things I'm glad we avoided is the parking lots on the south side that are Birnham Woods Dr. and Rayford Rd. trying to get to 99. HEB is over there, and I have to really need something to want to go on that side. We have friends that live a mile North as the crow flies in White Oak Estates, but because we have to go all the way around it's a 15 minute drive.

I'm going to cut to the chase. Unless you have crazy money, everything in Houston is going to be a compromise. Tax rates will vary from 1.9 to 3.9 in the span of a mile. Most newer homes will have tiny garages, unless the plan included a 'bump out' to make them a realistic width. Lot sizes in subdivisions are getting comically small now, they're actually selling 40x120's. 70x120 is considered "premium." Acreage means you're spending a huge premium, or going out a ways.
    Texas SOT

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    Have you considered renting for a year? It would let you get the lay of the land.
    Home prices have definitely stagnated, and I would predict them trending downward over the next year.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I would most definitely priorschool district tax rates over commute.

I'm disabled so mine are frozen and don't drive to work anymore but for young kind those taxas can flat out force you outta your house after a few good market years.

samr46

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2020
    Houston, TX
    So I will be selling my house and moving to the Houston area within the next couple of months once my house in Baton Rouge sells.

I’m having trouble finding a place that I’m in love with in the Houston market and that will be close to both our jobs.

She will be off Lockhaven and 45 and I’ll be off 290 by Jersey Village. There’s a possibility I end up in Conroe for work.

1. I’m hearing avoid Harris county if you can so I’m mainly looking in Montgomery county is that accurate.

2. How much more would taxes be in Tomball vs Magnolia on a similar priced house? I keep hearing avoid the MUD Tax and does all of Harris county have the MUD tax?

3. How is Tomball overall because that seems to be the halfway point of about 20-23 to each of our offices.

4. I will have an outside sales territory and only have to go to the office two days a week so I could drive further if we really liked an area. Right now Benders Landing is one of our favorites in Spring but it’s around 35 to 38 miles to my office.

5. Also what the heck is up with the 4500 sqft houses for 900k to 1 mil with a two car garage and carpet in all the rooms. I custom built my current home and have a hidden gun room with Gallowtech on the wall and a 1000SqFt garage so my F-250 will fit in it. Can’t find a single place within 30 miles that fits that criteria. If it does have a 3rd garage it can only fit a lawnmower and the garages are all shallow so my truck wouldn’t fit anyway.

6. Also what’s annual difference on Montgomery County vs Harris county on property tax on lets say every 100k? Some of the research I’ve done looks like it could be as much as 9 to 10k more per year in property tax between the different counties and I’m not sure that’s correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I am a Texan, my wife is from Dallas and both my sons born there. I’ve lived in Atlanta, Rustin and New Orleans in LA, Denver, Detroit, Orange Co CA, Summit New Jersey and La Jolla CA due to corporate career moves mostly. Texas is THE BEST. My 40 year old son lives in Tomball, drives 40 miles to work which is not unusual. He loves the area. Still growing so you might be able to find your acre. Tomball is growing FAST and so are housing prices. You probably have to decide which is more important; the size of the lot or the proximity of a neighborhood, community pool, tennis courts, neighbors, etc unless money is no object. $4-500k buys you a very nice 3-4,000 sq ft home in a very nice development and excellent schools. I live in Clear Lake, city of Houston/Harris County and my taxes are very low. But you may want to contact a property tax expert like O’Conner and Associates and pick their brain. They would probably help given the chance you might do business with their property tax appeal business. Welcome to Texas. PS - Oh yeah almost forgot, homeowners insurance is outrageous. $6,000 a year on half million value.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    My dear wife shopped it HARD this year to find a reasonable rate. If you let them, insurance carriers will take you to the cleaners, then the ATM, the bank, clean out the change in your couch, and then steal your car.

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    I have a local insurance guy that will try to get you the best deal - and BEWARE cheap insurance policies, they usually don't cover something important that you're likely to need.

Eli

Paul2036

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2023
    Houston
    I’d like .5 to 1 acre, real 3 car garage, 3200 to 4000 sqft. Budget 750k to 950k on the high end. I could go smaller lot if it’s laid out right and room for a pool but I wanted.

I just think I’m going to have to drive which is going to suck. My current house has room for a shop and I’m in Baton Rouge 7 miles from my office.

So I will be selling my house and moving to the Houston area within the next couple of months once my house in Baton Rouge sells.

I’m having trouble finding a place that I’m in love with in the Houston market and that will be close to both our jobs.

She will be off Lockhaven and 45 and I’ll be off 290 by Jersey Village. There’s a possibility I end up in Conroe for work.

1. I’m hearing avoid Harris county if you can so I’m mainly looking in Montgomery county is that accurate.

2. How much more would taxes be in Tomball vs Magnolia on a similar priced house? I keep hearing avoid the MUD Tax and does all of Harris county have the MUD tax?

3. How is Tomball overall because that seems to be the halfway point of about 20-23 to each of our offices.

4. I will have an outside sales territory and only have to go to the office two days a week so I could drive further if we really liked an area. Right now Benders Landing is one of our favorites in Spring but it’s around 35 to 38 miles to my office.

5. Also what the heck is up with the 4500 sqft houses for 900k to 1 mil with a two car garage and carpet in all the rooms. I custom built my current home and have a hidden gun room with Gallowtech on the wall and a 1000SqFt garage so my F-250 will fit in it. Can’t find a single place within 30 miles that fits that criteria. If it does have a 3rd garage it can only fit a lawnmower and the garages are all shallow so my truck wouldn’t fit anyway.

6. Also what’s annual difference on Montgomery County vs Harris county on property tax on lets say every 100k? Some of the research I’ve done looks like it could be as much as 9 to 10k more per year in property tax between the different counties and I’m not sure that’s correct.

Hello, I've been here since the early 80's living inside city limits. This was a good thread as, I'm looking to get out of the inner city. Most of the suggestions on the areas to look at are similar to what I've been searching for. With your budget, I don't think it'd be hard to find something nice. GL and welcome.

black_ice

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2017
    Hello, I've been here since the early 80's living inside city limits. This was a good thread as, I'm looking to get out of the inner city. Most of the suggestions on the areas to look at are similar to what I've been searching for. With your budget, I don't think it'd be hard to find something nice. GL and welcome.

Thanks! Moving into an air BNB for the 1st couple of months in Conroe.

Ultimately I think I’d like to be in Benders Landing because I keep going back to that neighborhood.

Paul2036

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2023
    Houston
    Thanks! Moving into an air BNB for the 1st couple of months in Conroe.

Ultimately I think I’d like to be in Benders Landing because I keep going back to that neighborhood.

Nice! That's the general area I'm looking at relocating to as well.

2ManyGuns

Revolver's, get one, shoot the snot out of it!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    This may be a little too far out, but look at Republic Grand Ranch, for a builder Partners in Building is excellent, DesignTech is decent, and Kurk Homes is pretty good also. I occasionally do some work for those last two when the local installer is on vacation. The others I cannot say anything about them, I have never done any work for them.
    The area is pretty damn nice IMO.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

Try David Weekly Homes b/f Pecan Grove & Hwy 99 in Northern Ft Bend Cy, b/t Circle C / Katy & Richmond.

<>

Last edited:

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    K. Hovnanian in River Ranch Estates, make sure the builder/superintendent is George. This gentleman pays attention to detail!

black_ice

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2017
    DW builds cookie cutters. I know, I'm in one. If he's looking at Benders, that's a different ballgame.

Yeah we ended up in an air bnb off Rayford in spring to check the traffic for my wife and I.

I’m open to ideas but Benders is leading the way for now. The size of the lots and 1.7% tax rate is way more appealing than a .3 acre lot with a 2.8% tax rate right next door in Woodson’s Reserve.

Last edited:

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Traffic was one of the biggest complaints when we were looking. Both Rayford and BW are parking lots for good parts of the day. Any time I think about going to the Ace hardware down there I seem to end up at Home Depot instead.

We found a few lots we liked in Benders, but often didn't like the homes on them. Wife really liked this one place in the listings, almost 2 acre lot with a 2-story 3 car garage + office, and a Victorian style house with really nice wrap around porches. House was built in 2006. Seemed almost too good, but when we walked the place everything was half-assed, failing, or falling apart. The cabinets were honey oak builder-grade and painted over with a roller. None of the drawer slides were attached right, and some of the drawer faces were even falling off. The faucets in several rooms were leaking and dripping, one didn't work at all. All that was fixable, but the house had super tiny rooms and a horrible layout. We did find some we liked but they sat in a flood zone. We spoke with the salespeople in Woodsons, and drove out to potentially select a lot, but quickly discounted that when we found they all sit on tiny lots. Ultimately we just plain ran out of time and bought our place in the Falls.

I haven't driven through it, but there's a new development further up 99 past the river. Highlands I think? It's like a cheaper Woodsons I believe, and small lots again. Easy access to 99 though. Some friends live in White Oak Estates, which is tucked just north of us, you have to get in/out from 45 which can take some time. It's a nice area with low taxes and acre lots though. The only other bigger lots in the area are off Aldine Westfield in the Estates of Legends Ranch. We backed out of our contract on a house in there, loved the lot but the house needed way more work than the seller was willing to negotiate on. Low tax rates there too.

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    Have you gone to Icet Creek or Lakes of Champions Estates off of I-10 near Cove? Icet Creek has some pretty large lots, I see people building some pretty nice "shops" behind their homes.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Yeah we ended up in an air bnb off Rayford in spring to check the traffic for my wife and I.

I’m open to ideas but Benders is leading the way for now. The size of the lots and 1.7% tax rate is way more appealing than a .3 acre lot with a 2.8% tax rate right next door in Woodson’s Reserve.

<>

Be sure you observe traffic at different times of day. Remember to inquire in detail about flooding, both at lot and nearby roads.

Also ask employer if staggered shifts are possible; different times can make. major differences in commutes.

We hated Houston for years, but wound up loving it our last few years there.

Good Luck !

leVieux

<>

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Busy rookies
    Top Bottom