• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    As @baboon mentioned - Magnolia is becoming a boom town. We wound up here because its close to family (I was driving to Tomball almost daily for a while after we moved here, my dad lives there) and its Montgomery, not Harris county. Also, this wound up being our 2nd pick - first pick had a contract on it when we reached out to make an offer.

We avoided Tomball and Harris county, because Harris county is trash. Bad "leadership", high taxes, higher crime rate. Tomball itself is nothing special. Its growing like every other suburb around here, but its hemmed in on all sides so expansion is not as expansive as other areas.

Magnolia *was* / *is* a nice quiet little town. But is growing. Too much for my tastes. I'm seeing what happened to the town I grew up in - a town that was barely 10k people in the late 80's / early 90's - turning into a 120k city when we left 3 years ago. Magnolia area has tens of thousands of new homes that've been approved for construction. Its happening right across from my quiet little neighborhood, its happening down the road in both directions, its happening on the east end of town, the north end of town too. Can't really grow too much south and still be in Montgomery County.

Since you're looking at the upscale - you'll find either a bunch of new cookie cutter homes or you're looking at the more well established stuff with some acreage.

This home just down the street from me just went under contract recently:

Just a ways east of my neighborhood there's a new neighborhood going in, lots more homes in that 400k + range. Most are on at least 1 acre. Here is one such example.

Perhaps by the time you're ready to move in - the expansion work on FM 1488 will have finished in this section, and will be working westward. Right now its all fucked up - worse than John Fetterman on a bad day in the mornings and evenings.

I commuted from here to FM 1960 and I-45 - I had to allot 90 minutes to ensure I got to work with a little time to spare. Some days I'd have 20 minutes to kill, some days I was scooting in with seconds to spare. Houston traffic is bad. Houston drivers are bad. Even using toll roads, it can be a gamble, because the bad drivers have toll tags too.

Honestly, I'd be looking at Montgomery or Conroe if I were relocating in Montgomery County. Unless you want to live in town, then check out the neighborhoods in The Woodlands, but be prepared to pay to live there, you'll get less house and land for that $950k than you will a bit further out, and you'll be stuck with an HOA for sure.

Waller County may be doable for you. Its Harris-adjacent, Montgomery County Adjacent. Sits right on HWY 290 - easy peasy for you to get to work in Jersey Village. Lots of shopping to please the ladies. Straight shot to Austin and the wonders of the Hill Country to the west, or Corpus and Galveston to the south.

As to your question about taxes - Montgomery County has a lower base property tax rate than Harris County - but the base rate is just that - base rate. You have the damn ISD's (school districts) that will flog your wallet for every cent they can get. The more money grubby the schools, the higher your taxes. @candcallen or @toddnjoyce can tell you about paying for ISD taxes that bend you over.

Football is life in Texas - and every damn ISD thinks it needs a professional quality stadium so lil drooling Johnny can throw a ball and dream of getting an NFL contract. Never mind the statistical improbability of any single kid going into the NFL. Or even getting a full ride scholarship to a school they want. But football is life.

Magnolia ISD wanted millions of bucks last election to lay turf down on their field, on top of the tens of millions for a bond to fix existing schools and build a couple more - all the growth we're experiencing is going to be very, very painful as the schools are already full and there is not enough capacity to absorb all the projected residents right now. They did put a freeze on building because of the drought - but its kicking the can down the road but I don't think far enough down the road.

Conroe is growing too - for years it was the fastest growing city in all of Texas. You can probably find something you want close in to Conroe, but your wife will have to drive. Its really sadly normal to have to drive 30 to 90 minutes around here to get to work.

Conroe also has way better hospitals close to it than Magnolia or Tomball has. HCA Conroe is right in town, and you're close to Memorial Hermann's Woodlands hospital, CHI St. Lukes, Houston Methodist. In Magnolia proper or tomball - unless its a level one trauma - you're probably going to wind up at Tomball Regional, and its got a bad reputation and it probably earned it. Don't get sick or hurt anywhere near 1960 / 45 or you'll wind up at Houston Northwest - it too, does not have a good reputation. Its also in the ghetto and subject to a lot of violence and theft, and the only time the cops have a fast response, is if they're told someone has a gun in that neighborhood.

You didn't mention any kids - so guessing you don't have any, or they're all older and out of schools. I'd seriously look at private schools if you're not already, if you have kids. The public schools are just too damn crowded and they all have some serious issues beyond education - large or small districts don't seem to make a difference. Its cultural. Thankfully there's a lot of good private schools around here.

If you do wind up in Conroe - check out Big Tex Ordnance - internet famous, located right on Hwy 105, great service, good prices, and they have their own range. We also like Saddle River on 1488 and have a membership there.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    you're probably going to wind up at Tomball Regional, and its got a bad reputation and it probably earned it.
    I can attest to this through experience. Hospitalized there for pneumonia, short stay but a nonstop comedy of errors. If I'd hung around much longer, I feel pretty sure they would have eventually found a way to kill me.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    So I will be selling my house and moving to the Houston area within the next couple of months once my house in Baton Rouge sells.

I’m having trouble finding a place that I’m in love with in the Houston market and that will be close to both our jobs.

She will be off Lockhaven and 45 and I’ll be off 290 by Jersey Village. There’s a possibility I end up in Conroe for work.

1. I’m hearing avoid Harris county if you can so I’m mainly looking in Montgomery county is that accurate.

2. How much more would taxes be in Tomball vs Magnolia on a similar priced house? I keep hearing avoid the MUD Tax and does all of Harris county have the MUD tax?

3. How is Tomball overall because that seems to be the halfway point of about 20-23 to each of our offices.

4. I will have an outside sales territory and only have to go to the office two days a week so I could drive further if we really liked an area. Right now Benders Landing is one of our favorites in Spring but it’s around 35 to 38 miles to my office.

5. Also what the heck is up with the 4500 sqft houses for 900k to 1 mil with a two car garage and carpet in all the rooms. I custom built my current home and have a hidden gun room with Gallowtech on the wall and a 1000SqFt garage so my F-250 will fit in it. Can’t find a single place within 30 miles that fits that criteria. If it does have a 3rd garage it can only fit a lawnmower and the garages are all shallow so my truck wouldn’t fit anyway.

6. Also what’s annual difference on Montgomery County vs Harris county on property tax on lets say every 100k? Some of the research I’ve done looks like it could be as much as 9 to 10k more per year in property tax between the different counties and I’m not sure that’s correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    <>

Modern Houston is ‘’Balkanized’’ into distinct neighborhoods.

Taxes are a very minor consideration compared to TRAFFIC & crime.

Also, if one has school-age children; the schools.

Study traffic patterns during your commuting hours. Try to either avoid. rush hours, or to be ‘’going-against’’ the heavy traffic.

The new freeways & roads have helped, but traffic is still a killer for some. consider that more expensive housing may actually lower your overall cost of living via saving both time and commuting.

Also, as the builders chare by square footage, they try to sell you homes much larger than actually needed.

Houston is a great City, but seek specific advice b/f buying a home.

<>

Last edited:

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I knew my realtor for 22 years from working a side job with her. When we were looking I was using various realty sites. She turned me on to HAR. She said site like Zillow are shit in that they do not upgrade they site. Many times I'd see something, show the wife only for the relator too say its gone.

She is based out of Magnolia.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Renaisance Gun Club in Magnolia also sounds pretty good.
    I told the story here before about one of the looney bitches from the Renfest coming over the berm there say kill me shoot me.

The area around the renaissance festival should be highly avoided. Traffic being one reason, the increase in wandering top head the other. Sure it's only 2 months out of the year, but those months can be complete nightmares.

black_ice

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2017

Born and raised in Texas just finally coming home after 21 years so y’all are going to be stuck with me. Right now my drive to my ranch in South Texas is 8hrs so it cuts my drive in half.

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    I am unfamiliar with MUD tax - is that in addition to a city or local tax?
    Municipal Utility District taxes. Texas has a quirky law that allows developers to build streets and utilities, then form a MUD that issues bonds to reimburse the developers. It's only allowed outside of city limits, though.
    I knew my realtor for 22 years from working a side job with her. When we were looking I was using various realty sites. She turned me on to HAR. She said site like Zillow are shit in that they do not upgrade they site. Many times I'd see something, show the wife only for the relator too say its gone.

She is based out of Magnolia.
    As a Realtor of many years, I cannot overstate the value of a good Realtor! HAR.com or Realtor.com are the best sites, Zillow/Trulia is its own brokerage and I've heard all sorts of bad stuff.
    You want somebody that's familiar with MUDs, traffic concerns, etc., and not just somebody that has a Supra key!

Eli
    (Not looking for business, I have so much commercial going on right now I barely have time to visit TGT)

black_ice

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2017
    Just found out I’ll be working out of our Conroe office but a couple times a month I’ll have to be at Houston Pkway location for a 8:00 Monday meeting.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Just found out I’ll be working out of our Conroe office but a couple times a month I’ll have to be at Houston Pkway location for a 8:00 Monday meeting.

Even more reason to pick one of the nice neighborhoods on / near the lake there in Conroe it sounds like.

black_ice

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2017
    Anything near the lake is High cost,Taxes, HOA and lack of acerage if desired. Look in Willis and New Waverly.

So after some research there’s a 1.5% tax rate difference between certain areas of Houston. I’ve seen as high a 3.24% or close to that and as low as 1.74%. I thought it was Harris county with the highest but there’s houses in Conroe with just as high.

A 1.3% to 1.5% swing is a lot. Not sure how the homestead tax exemption works in certain counties yet. I’ve seen some stuff that says it’s 20% but not sure if that’s accurate.

Top Bottom