• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1rightguy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    I just traded for one this weekend. I like the way it looks & feels, have not been to thye range yet. Tried online but there's not much information about them. Anybody know anything about them? Reviews?
    Texas SOT

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Different people have different experiences. Shipwreck had one, he hated it, as well as other people I've seen on youtube. But i've also seen videos on youtube of people who don't seem to have any problems with theirs.

This guy loved his at first, then hated it when it jammed alot, so they sent him a new bolt, and it still jammed, then they sent him a new one and it was running great and now he loves it again.

Hope that helps!

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    They definitely look interesting. I've always liked the AUG style looked way ahead of its time. It's on my to get list.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    The MSAR STG556 is a fine weapon. Sadly, it's value varies wildly. Early models had a "forward assist," later ones did not. Other variations were produced in different colors, top rails, and integral optics. Mind you, this is a rifle made by a knife company.

I've seen prices from $2,400 to $800.

Some STG's require proprietary magazines, and some may now accept AR mags. None that I know of accepted original Steyr Aug mags without modification.

It has a trigger that only a merciful Mother could love.

Here's the sad news: At the height of Obama's Gun Scare (November 2008) the MSAR sold for about $1,800: The same can be had today for about $800.

So much for the intrinsic value of fire arms.

May you enjoy your STG!

Be well.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I've got one and I love it. They are extremely well built for a "clone". My only gripe with it is I have a couple mags where the feed lips are a little weak. If you you slam those particular mags in hard the round on top will pop out and cause a double feed. I have several other mags that feed just fine, tho so it's no big deal. Oh, and don't wait 2,500 rounds to clean the piston like I did. Man that thing was caked up with carbon and powder residue. Had to soak it in carb cleaner over night to get it clean.

3467738306_111d291a49_z.jpg

shipwreck

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Beretta City,Texas
    I did have one for a while... I bought an MSAR AUG STG 556 in 2009. Their price dropped down to $1k (making a lot of people upset who previously bought one at full price). I initially thought it was a great gun, and I wanted an AUG ever since I saw Diehard. I would not have paid full price for one - but at $1k... I thought, why not...

The gun was reliable 100% with 30 rounder mags. But, I had a couple of issues with the 42 rounders. And, if you got a jam, it would take about 5 min to clear it. It was bad... You'd have to pull the barrel, and sometimes remove the receiver partially from the stock, depending on how bad the jam was. And, taking the receiver out of the stock on an MSAR until you break the gun in a LOT is a major pain in the butt... Then reassemble after ya clear the jam......

After doing that a couple of times, I knew that it would not be the self defense carbine I had hoped for.

I had MSAR replace the 42 rounders with new ones, and I sold the gun (with the 42 rounders being unopened). Between that experience, and the way MSAR was going down the drain, I got rid of the gun. Now, with MSAR seemingly on life support, I am glad I do not have that weapon anymore.

Even though Steyr is a better company, I still wouldn't buy an AUG again. Clearing a jam takes too long.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    I saw a few MSAR's for sale for $1,000 at various gun shows. Man where they ever tempting. Whenever I research them I always find that there are really problem free models, and models with lots of problems. I can never remember which one is the good one when I see the deals.

I wouldn't mind a real AUG, but hat is real $$$.

shipwreck

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Beretta City,Texas
    Now you can go akimbo, modern warfare 2 style!

Sho nuff!

2xPS90-2.gif

Seriously, though. I don't mean to dump on someone's new gun thread. Had my name not been mentioned above (about not liking the gun), I would never have said any of this.

I hope you enjoy the gun. Stick with 30 round mags, despite the urge to go higher with the 42 rounders, and the gun should be 100%.

mkillebrew

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    Austin
    I have the latest generation before the E4, which is the one that takes AR mags, which I'm not at all fond of. I don't need or want magazine compatibility between all my rifle, nor do I even like the AR magazine design. The rifle itself is heavy but very well balanced, and it's a lot of fun with the EOTech I have on it. The only thing I don't like about it is the mag release and leaving knuckle skin on the optics.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DSDExpresso
    Top Bottom