• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    Hahaha, you ain't kidding! I have a '11 Duramax with 38k miles, and my Michelins are almost down to the tread wear indicators. I'm juggling the idea of a level kit to fit 35s, but then I don't want to have to replace 35s in another year. The 33s are expensive enough!

I'm looking at the new Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx. It seems to get good reviews (on 1/2tons at least), and they're pretty affordable.

Stukaman

Well-Known
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Fort Worth
    Dont do a leveling kit youll look goofy towing anything, I'm on 20s truck came with them so tires for me are a minumum 1500 bucks.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    . Your initial cost is higher, but you more than make up for it in fuel economy (especially while towing), reliability, and resale value. I would say the maintenance cost is not appreciably higher in a diesel truck.

Unless you're hauling all the time and driving a ton of miles, the math doesn't work out for ever making up the initial cost difference. Also, oil changes alone are considerably higher for diesel. Basically, unless you really need one for the towing capabilities, on a regular basis, diesels don't make sense. The V10 is the only worse choice than the diesel.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Dont do a leveling kit youll look goofy towing anything, I'm on 20s truck came with them so tires for me are a minumum 1500 bucks.

Rear tires for my car from Discount are $483.00 BEFORE they are pulled off the rack.....then add all the incidentals.
    And getting more the 15k miles out of them is pushing it.

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    Unless you're hauling all the time and driving a ton of miles, the math doesn't work out for ever making up the initial cost difference. Also, oil changes alone are considerably higher for diesel. Basically, unless you really need one for the towing capabilities, on a regular basis, diesels don't make sense. The V10 is the only worse choice than the diesel.

Well your math is obviously different from mine. :rolleyes:

My Duramax can get 22mpg if I keep it under 70mph. I'd like to see ANY 1/2ton gas truck do that. Even my friend's EcoBoost F150 can't get 22mpg.) I only paid $50k for my brand new '11 GMC 2500HD SLE Z71 4x4 CrewCab, which is cheaper than many of those 1/2ton trucks, especially the King Ranch/Platinum F150s, LTZ Silverados, Dodge Hemis, etc.

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    Rear tires for my car from Discount are $483.00 BEFORE they are pulled off the rack.....then add all the incidentals.
    And getting more the 15k miles out of them is pushing it.

What do you have? A Vette or Viper, Porsche or Ferrari? The rear Michelins on my Vette are $455/ea, and yes, 15kmi on the rears is but a dream...

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    Nice. I'm guessing a 911. GT3? Carrera S? Turbo? I remember you mentioned you used to get a lot of track time on your bike. Do you do track days in the Porsche? I've been to quite a few PCA track days.

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    And whose damn fault is that?

Well, the suspension is designed with negative rear camber for cornering that eats up the inside of the tires.
    I have some of mine dialed out, but the tires are also pretty soft, kinda like bike tires, ya give up tire life for
    a little more traction, lol....

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    That, and you can't rotate them. Many of the high-end tires are specific to an exact corner of the car. They are directional and have an asymmetrical tread design. Good for the tire salesman, good for the handling and performance, but bad for the customers' wallets.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    I would say he drives like a grandpa if he gets 15k out of them.

I've personally known Cam for roughly 10 years, and I can assure you he doesn't drive like a grandpa...far from it. :) I'm sure he extrapolated that 15k number based on "what if" scenarios....like what if I had stayed out of the pedal... LOL

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I don't do clutch dumps or "burnouts" with my Porsche, lol.....
    I am sure you can't say the same with your vette.

And, they can't be rotated, you are correct.

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    I get plenty of track time so I tend to keep it pretty tame on the street, but I have been known to do a burnout or two...

IMAG0352.jpg

I didn't get the address in the pic, but it was at "5200 North Freeway" - I did a rolling burnout at about 55mph. :D

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    I've personally known Cam for roughly 10 years, and I can assure you he doesn't drive like a grandpa...far from it. :) I'm sure he extrapolated that 15k number based on "what if" scenarios....like what if I had stayed out of the pedal... LOL

Haha I hear ya. When people ask me what mpg I get in the Vette, I tell them it CAN get 25mpg, but if it's driven like a Vette should be driven (or a Porsche in Cam's case), then it gets about 12-14mpg. On the track I can get it down to 5mpg.

BTW, Cam, do you ever go to the Coffee & Cars or Nifty Fifties car shows? I try to go to every C&C, and at least once a month make it to Nifty Fifties. I'm in a '12 Centennial Z06 in black, but usually end up parking in the spectator lot because I get there late. Plus, Vettes are dime a dozen anyway...

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    I get plenty of track time so I tend to keep it pretty tame on the street, but I have been known to do a burnout or two...

IMAG0352.jpg

I didn't get the address in the pic, but it was at "5200 North Freeway" - I did a rolling burnout at about 55mph. :D

That is fricking awesome dude!!!!!!!!

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Haha I hear ya. When people ask me what mpg I get in the Vette, I tell them it CAN get 25mpg, but if it's driven like a Vette should be driven (or a Porsche in Cam's case), then it gets about 12-14mpg. On the track I can get it down to 5mpg.

BTW, Cam, do you ever go to the Coffee & Cars or Nifty Fifties car shows? I try to go to every C&C, and at least once a month make it to Nifty Fifties. I'm in a '12 Centennial Z06 in black, but usually end up parking in the spectator lot because I get there late. Plus, Vettes are dime a dozen anyway...

I usually average about 19-20mpg although it can get much better.

I don't get out & socialize too much, turned into a recluse in my older yrs., lol....

Top Bottom