• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tactical Panda

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2019
    DFW
    What's up guys. So, recently my grandfather passed away. I found out that before he died, he had several firearms that he wanted to pass down to me and my brother. I was finally able to pick up the two I was given today.On top is a Winchester Ranger 140 (20 GA) Bottom is a Ruger 10/22. Never owned a firearm quite so sentimental before. Definitely bitter sweet, but I'm glad to have them in my collection.

EEglBrN.jpg
    Gun Zone Deals

Attachments

• EEglBrN.jpg
      EEglBrN.jpg
      1.9 MB · Views: 777

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    Enjoy those guns. They will bring back memories every time you use them.

I've got my grandfather's old 12 gauge Remington Wingmaster made in 1958 (per the barrel code), and it's one of my prize possessions.

It will get passed down to my son.

Inspector43

Everything I Own Is Paid For
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2017
    Colorado County, Texas
    Just before my grandfather passed he called my dad and wanted him to come to see him now. Grandpa live 4 blocks from us. When dad got there grandpa insisted that he take home his Winchester Model 21 with 2 sets of barrels, his Marlin Model 39 and some very nice other guns and fishing items. When dad got home with the stuff grandma called and said that grandpa just died. That was about 55 years ago. Those items are still in the family.

Tactical Panda

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2019
    DFW
    Just before my grandfather passed he called my dad and wanted him to come to see him now. Grandpa live 4 blocks from us. When dad got there grandpa insisted that he take home his Winchester Model 21 with 2 sets of barrels, his Marlin Model 39 and some very nice other guns and fishing items. When dad got home with the stuff grandma called and said that grandpa just died. That was about 55 years ago. Those items are still in the family.

Man, that's rough. My Grandfather's death was rather sudden too. He got diagnosed with lung cancer around two months prior. He was doing fine, and all of sudden took a turn for the worst. I flew up to see him, barely got there a few hours before his death. Not even sure if he realized I was there. Still hard to talk about as the memory is way too fresh.

To all, thank you for the replies. It's been a bit of a weird week reliving all this. And no, I don't plan on ever selling those firearms. In addition, I was also given the flag that flew over his house the night he died. I plan on framing it and shooting the guns. These items are priceless to me.

Dad_Roman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    Cherished forever....

I have my grandfathers little Stevens .22lr its a semi-auto. I re-did it when I got it. Did the stock with dirty transmission fluid. It looks pretty great.

Have both my fathers rifles, Browning Auto's (Belgium) in .22lr and 30-06.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I didn't get abut one pistol that was my aunt & uncles gun. It's an old S&W Ivory handled nickle plated .38. I aint even sure its model. It does not take good picture or I would post some. I think it's basically a Chicago gangster gun. Grips have a really dark patina. This uncle had done goodb but I barely knew him.

The aunt was in the nursing home & my dad was over for a visit. She asked if he would take her trash out for her. It was sitting on top of here garbage. My dad rescued it & got it. Only guns he ever owned were bought for me with my money.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I have my mom's Nylon 66 AB, my father's M1 carbine, and my grandfather's M12 Winchester shotgun. I cherish them more than I can say.

I also have no one to pass them down to. :(
    I figure when the time comes I just start selling my guns for needed cash. I can't believe I just essmembled another lower. I'm out of room in both my safes. I should see about one my buddies dad has empty.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Those are both good firearms. The Winchester Ranger was intended to be the cheap entry level shotgun, and you can tell that the stock is not the prettiest wood. However, they were well designed and built and work just fine. (I have one sitting in the corner as I write this.) It's a great field gun. The 10/22 is probably the most popular .22 semiautomatic rifle ever built. (The Marlin 60 might be close.) Your grandfather bought guns to shoot, not to show. He knew you'd get some fun out of them. RIP, grandpa! You did good.

Tactical Panda

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2019
    DFW
    Those are both good firearms. The Winchester Ranger was intended to be the cheap entry level shotgun, and you can tell that the stock is not the prettiest wood. However, they were well designed and built and work just fine. (I have one sitting in the corner as I write this.) It's a great field gun. The 10/22 is probably the most popular .22 semiautomatic rifle ever built. (The Marlin 60 might be close.) Your grandfather bought guns to shoot, not to show. He knew you'd get some fun out of them. RIP, grandpa! You did good.

Appreciate the response! Never had any personal experience with either firearm before, although I've always wanted a 10/22. Took it out to the range today with my old man, I know now why everyone speaks so highly of them. I planned on sighting in the scope, only to realize I didn't need to. Grandfather still had it dialed in. IMG_1465.jpg IMG_1464.JPG
    This is my reduction target at 25 yards. Jerked the trigger on my first shot, otherwise, it was darn near perfect.

Attachments

• IMG_1464.JPG
      IMG_1464.JPG
      256.6 KB · Views: 398
    • IMG_1465.jpg
      IMG_1465.jpg
      1.2 MB · Views: 408

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Sorry for your loss. Its never easy to deal with the death of a loved one.

I have a few firearms from my moms side of the family, but not my grandfather's. I do have my grandfathers (dads side) TXANG woodland BDU jacket and a picture of him and the crew he flew with in front of their plane. The only two things I'd like to have were a commemorative certificate he got when he did his first solo flight, and a native american pipe thing they had in their game room that hurricane Ike decided to send somewhere else.

But i have something, so as long as that certificate stays in the family I'm happy.

Nice guns OP, enjoy them.

Top Bottom