• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    It is cool. But now that I find myself almost finished with college, I don't really see myself needing a laptop anymore. My old ass MacBook seems to still work just fine.

-But if this one dies, that new one is on my list of things to buy.

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    I want one but Apple really rapes people on cost. I get that it's a high quality device and everything but if you even look at the costs of upgrading the same exact type of RAM on a PC versus on a Mac you'll see that Apple charges double the cost for the same upgrade. :(

Nullrejector

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Austin
    I want one but Apple really rapes people on cost. I get that it's a high quality device and everything but if you even look at the costs of upgrading the same exact type of RAM on a PC versus on a Mac you'll see that Apple charges double the cost for the same upgrade. :(

I agree that Apple is a little more expensive that PC, but it's not near double. Also, running Windows on a PC usually sucks resources compared to a similar Mac running OS...so it's really difficult to do a fair comparison. Do you have a specific example of something Apple costing double?

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    I agree that Apple is a little more expensive that PC, but it's not near double. Also, running Windows on a PC usually sucks resources compared to a similar Mac running OS...so it's really difficult to do a fair comparison. Do you have a specific example of something Apple costing double?

Specifically on cost comparison shopping I was doing trying to build a Mac versus a Toshiba Qosimo with similar specs - I'm not saying the Toshiba was literally half the cost of the Mac BUT for upgrading various components on the Mac, Apple wanted twice as much for the same upgrades than Toshiba did. Or maybe it was Sager and not Toshiba. Something like that.

Just don't get an Alienware... man, I am never getting another Dell computer.

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I bought 2 nice Asus gaming laptops for the same cost as a new MacBook Pro with the specs I wanted. Price point of a Mac is much higher than it should be for the components going into it. Part of what you are paying for is the name and culture which is fine as long as you're okay with that.

Sent from my HTC Vivid using Tapatalk 2.

Nullrejector

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Austin
    Something else to consider is Macs are going to flash memory, which is more expensive, but the benefits are worth it (this is something all computers will have before long). Another thing Mac buyers are paying for is top quality materials and fit, the longest reliability of any computer, and the best customer service in the industry.

Again, I do agree that Macs are priced a little higher from the start. But over the lifetime of the computer, they don't cost any more. I don't have any problems with PC. I have a Samsung QX410 that I really like. I just prefer Macs.

drummingchevy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2009
    Houston
    Can't say I'm a big fan of that resolution. I'm sure you can change some settings and see things well on the screen, but it's just too much. My current 17" MBP has a 1920x1200 display and I can't see a whole lot. The resolution can be lowered but it makes the picture quality of everything on the screen look bad and slightly fuzzy. I have perfect vision with my glasses on and I still have to lean in towards the screen to see text and whatnot. If I change the display size on any browser, it doesn't display webpages correctly so it really ends up being pain. I currently just have it hooked up to a 23" external monitor so that I can see everything. My point being: on that size screen, that is likely to be way too high of a resolution.

Nullrejector

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Austin
    Flash memory? You talking about solid state hard drives? Those have been around for awhile now. You could run down to Fry's and buy one for your PC right now.

yep
    Not all solid state drives use flash memory. My main point is that the price comparisons are usually between disk hard drives in PC and flash drives in Mac, which obviously is apples to oranges.

Can't say I'm a big fan of that resolution. I'm sure you can change some settings and see things well on the screen, but it's just too much. My current 17" MBP has a 1920x1200 display and I can't see a whole lot. The resolution can be lowered but it makes the picture quality of everything on the screen look bad and slightly fuzzy. I have perfect vision with my glasses on and I still have to lean in towards the screen to see text and whatnot. If I change the display size on any browser, it doesn't display webpages correctly so it really ends up being pain. I currently just have it hooked up to a 23" external monitor so that I can see everything. My point being: on that size screen, that is likely to be way too high of a resolution.
    Supposedly Apple has fixed this problem, at least with how the screen displays text. I haven't seen one in person yet, but the reports are that everything on the screen looks incredible.

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    which obviously is apples to oranges.

1306108114017.jpg

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress

I got the 27" iMac. I can read that screen from across the street!

Tapatalk sent it.

ZeR0BuG

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    SE, TX
    They're not upgradeable at all any more... The harddrive is proprietary and can't be replaced with any old drive.

BigBoss0311

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    McKinney, TX
    Way overpriced, not nearly as good performance from a same price PC, parts/upgrades are overpriced, and you can't even use the new retina display to it's full potential. Not getting the point of it really. As far as Alienware, I agree, they went way downhill after Dell bought them, stick with Origin for the real deal.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RafaelQ
    Top Bottom