• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    A lot going on here. First off, even a simple hand press is better than that. Cleaning is semi optional but sizing and trimming not so much. You'll need a priming tool, powder scale, case prep tools like a cutter/deburr tool, calipers for case length and much more.

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    Hi yall,
    Was thinking of getting one of those cheap $40 or lee hand loaders for 357 mag. What care needs the fired brass need for 357 mag in a lever action? Do I just wipe the cases with a cloth? Do I have to tumble it?

link of the hand loading kit I am talking about.
    Check around...

Used reloading stuff is available at 1/2 price of new.

A good press, scale, tumbler should all be on the local gun club bulletin board...

You will need a powder measure, a good set of "dial/analog" calipers...as for scale, I recommend a balance beam. No luck with electronic gizmos....

Should be able to get all of that for less than $125.....

Divorce, Estate, Garage sales ............... all yield good stuff for great prices....

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Check out reloading equipment on eBay. You can often find sets that people are dumping as they improve what they have. I've got an RCBS starter press gathering dust, but I'd rather not take on shipping. Don't waste your time with those little hand loaders. You'll get tired of it quickly.

As for cleaning, stay away from any cleaning solutions that contain ammonia or amines. They will ruin the brass over a period of time - and I mean it will literally crumble.

Since I was young, the excuse for handloading has always been that you could save tons of money. I have yet to meet anyone who has actually done that. You can probably save more by buying in bulk. What it does is allow you to come up with loads that are highly accurate for your specific firearms. It takes patience and diligence to do that safely and consistently.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    It depends on how anal you are about the appearance of your ammo.
    Generally speaking your brass should be clean before reloading it.
    Clean from mud, dirt, grit, etc. it doesn’t need to be shiny.

That reload kit you showed in the OP is useable but it is murderously slow, time consuming, and tedious. I’d recommend NOT going there unless you want to spend the rest of your life loading 100rds of ammo.

Instead get a set of CARBIDE dies and the Lee hand press.
    You don’t need to lube cases when using a carbide die.

db_tanker

Pig Whisperer
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 13, 2024
    Willis, TX
    when I lived in an apartment I just got me a Black and Decker workmate. Harbor Freight has a similar one but not as robust. It folds up after use. Then got me a Lee challenger press. Its a step up from their hand-held press and does well with anything for standard stuff. Doesn't sound like you are reforming brass for wildcats so no worries there. For cleaning brass? Jungle River website can get you a cheap rock tumbler...30-40 pieces at a time and corncob...after an hour or two and its shiny. You will need something to trim cases eventually so ebay or estate sales will net you a case trimmer....shoot for a Lyman as they don't need special case holders. Powder measures and such again ebay or Jungle River.

Welcome to the madness that is reloading :)
    D

alternative

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2023
    Texas
    when I lived in an apartment I just got me a Black and Decker workmate. Harbor Freight has a similar one but not as robust. It folds up after use. Then got me a Lee challenger press. Its a step up from their hand-held press and does well with anything for standard stuff. Doesn't sound like you are reforming brass for wildcats so no worries there. For cleaning brass? Jungle River website can get you a cheap rock tumbler...30-40 pieces at a time and corncob...after an hour or two and its shiny. You will need something to trim cases eventually so ebay or estate sales will net you a case trimmer....shoot for a Lyman as they don't need special case holders. Powder measures and such again ebay or Jungle River.

Welcome to the madness that is reloading :)
    D
    I don't trim pistol brass. To safely reload one needs much more than a hand press. The least important thing is how you clean brass.

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    If I don't have a tumbler, I wash it in hot water and a touch of dawn and agitate as much as I can. You don't have to go crazy. Lay it out to dry, in the sun is good.

The Lee Loaders work. I've used them. They are slow but effective. They do have a couple of shortcomings.

1. The dipper and load chart don't give you a lot of options. They only have a few loads with specific components you may have a hard time finding.

2. They are meant for brass that has already been fired in your gun. Sometimes brass fired in other guns won't chamber. The sizing die only neck-sizes, not the full length of the case.

I'd at least want an inexpensive digital scale to verify the load. The guys above are right. Yes you'll spend a little more with a press but you'll get 100 times more options with it. I'd go with a Lee Hand Press or the little Lee Reloader press.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    If you're shooting light/moderate loads in your .357 your brass won't stretch much.
    You will not have to length trim that often. You do need to mic it each time tho.
    The plus side is you will get many reloadings out of each case.
    I have some 38spl cases that are easily over ten loadings and still going strong.
    Loading up near max will shorten brass life considerably.

Lee makes a chessy little hand trimmer tool. It works but is a pain in the ass to use.

One thing you should know is tumbling, depriming, resizing, and trimming cases makes a mess.
    Especially depriming. You do not want to do this step in the house.
    I use a Franklin Arsenal deprimer. it catches the spent primer and grit quite well.

db_tanker

Pig Whisperer
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 13, 2024
    Willis, TX
    I don't trim pistol brass. To safely reload one needs much more than a hand press. The least important thing is how you clean brass.

You don't and I know many others don't but I do? I like having a fairly uniform case neck so when I do crimp I don't run the risk of wrinkles.

Second I like to tumble brass, generally twice, so that I don't run the risk of possibly causing gouges. Again this is me. The least important thing - to you - is how you clean the brass. No offense.

D

alternative

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2023
    Texas
    You don't and I know many others don't but I do? I like having a fairly uniform case neck so when I do crimp I don't run the risk of wrinkles.

Second I like to tumble brass, generally twice, so that I don't run the risk of possibly causing gouges. Again this is me. The least important thing - to you - is how you clean the brass. No offense.

D
    Out of all things involved with reloading cleaning brass is probably the least important. Accurate powder charges is near the top. I do clean my brass though as it is important to have clean brass so you don't mess up your dies and I have stainless steel, ultrasound, and corn cob techniques. I didn't imply that one should use dirty brass, only that on a priority basis it is the least important thing in reloading.

Top Bottom