Texas SOT

North OF Austin, is a LEO or DPS job any good?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Higgins909

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2016
    Pflugerville
    This adhd dingdong ditcher is back. I thought there was a sub forums specifically for LEOs here but didn't see it. I may have asked similar questions before.

My childhood dream job, was to be a police officer. I lately I've been wondering about it. The listed pay for DPS sounds pretty decent/good. Any career I look into pays low $20s at best. The thing is, I didn't know what a officer did back then and still don't know what they do today.

I didn't understand why they required 60 or 80 college course hrs to get in. What do they actually do? Is it any good? Difficult to get in? Does it pay well? Can it be done long term?

Thanks,
    Higgins909
    Capitol Armory ad

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    It can be a very rewarding career. I know a number of current and former Troopers, and respect 'em all. Yeah - I've known a few that were less than stellar, but most tend to be weeded out.
    A Trooper is expected to be above average, and those college hours help them towards that end - it also tends to weed out the wanna-be's. I was sorely tempted in my younger years - my G-G Grandfather was a Texas Ranger (his grave is marked with the Ranger Star in McQueeney - Gustav Elley), and several in the family were surprised I didn't pursue it....overall, while part of me still wishes I had, I really have no regrets.
    Go to the Texas DPS website and explore the careers - or find a Trooper, buy his breakfast/lunch/dinner, and talk with him/her.

Texasgordo

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    I used to see lots of DPS at the cafe in Florence during the lunch hour. Their training academy in just outside of town but I don't know what the application process is.

I've had many interactions with the DPS mainly for a vehicle inspection because I drive a semi truck. Most are usually cool and professional but I've met a couple of assholes.

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    LE is following process, procedure, and policy. No offense, but ADHD is a bit of a non-starter for LE; maybe even a death sentence.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    If you want big bucks you'll be in a populated area.

I looked at a job listing the other day for the city of Coleman - entry level recruit police officers start at $19.50 - and they're asking you already have your TCOLE *license* - conversely Irving PD is starting at something like $80k / year and topping out at over $105k in 5 years as a basic police officer.

Texasgordo

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    If you want big bucks you'll be in a populated area.

I looked at a job listing the other day for the city of Coleman - entry level recruit police officers start at $19.50 - and they're asking you already have your TCOLE *license* - conversely Irving PD is starting at something like $80k / year and topping out at over $105k in 5 years as a basic police officer.
    I'd rather be in Coleman since it's a small town and looks really peaceful.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I used to see lots of DPS at the cafe in Florence during the lunch hour. Their training academy in just outside of town but I don't know what the application process is.

The DPS Tactical Training Facility is just southeast of Florence, and I suspect the cafe in question D. Boone's Country Store and Cafe. I've been to the TTF several times for training, and we've used Boone's as a meeting point as: 1) it's got decent food for a "last meal" before being sequestered for some time, and 2) you can also stock up on provisions to sustain you through the same isolation.

As for the OP, the first place to start is obviously the DPS website...

https://www.dps.texas.gov/section/training-operations-tod/become-texas-state-trooper

Pay close attention to the FAQs, particularly the 'Duty Station Questions' as you may not end up in the part of the Lone Star State you're wishing to live in...

Lead Belly

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    LEO is on this list, depending on severity and type. ADHD can be like a Ferrari without a steering wheel, depends if you've adapted and have coping strategy. I say: go for it,if that's what you want.

15. Police Officer

Being situationally aware and making split-second decisions in various environments are necessary things police officers must be able to do. With constant challenges and adrenaline-induced situations, high-energy, hyperfocused, and creative ADHD individuals find being a police officer highly rewarding.

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    Pay close attention to the FAQs, particularly the 'Duty Station Questions' as you may not end up in the part of the Lone Star State you're wishing to live in...

That’s one the big reasons I never applied. My wife said no way we’re taking these beautiful, little, blue-eyed girls down to the border. :laughing:

Two fellow Marines joined the other year, one went to McAllen and the other to Del Rio. I’d go a lot of places but I have no desire to go the border.

Higgins909

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2016
    Pflugerville
    I could definitely have ADHD, but it was more of a joke on how I hop on here every once in a while and never reply. Never to be seen again. I honestly thought it's been about 2-3 weeks since I've posted this but it's just short of a week.

I guess DPS is out of the picture. I want to stay in the area of North of Austin, by family. I looked at Round Rocks PD's site. Found some physical requirements and wonder where I am on that. Have not been very active these last 7~ years. Every once if a while I'll dig out the bicycle, but that's about it. I lose interest after a week or so.

Seen Round Rock still requires some college credits. I wonder if it maters what field you get those credits in.

TXAZ

:)
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    South of the Red, North of the Gulf
    Worked at DPS in Austin as a program manager.
    Great people wanting to do the right things (vast majority). Was in a couple of small meetings with the Director and his Chief of Staff. Good leadership, not overly political.
    Troopers I met / worked with were professional and competent.
    Since Biden started his open borde, if you join, be prepared to work serious overtime…….on the borset.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    anibal79
    Top Bottom