Jan 25, 2020
    Cedar Creek, Tx
    1965-Aston-Martin-DB5-James-Bond-Ejector-Seat-Button.png

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    The switch, on the back of the chair, is usually covered and isn’t supposed to be used when a pilot is in the seat.

Boeing issued a memo late Thursday to operators of 787 jets recommending that they inspect the cockpit chairs for loose covers on the switches and instructing them how to turn off power to the pilot seat motor if needed. Boeing said it is considering updates to flight crew manuals.
    “Closing the spring-loaded seat back switch guard onto a loose/detached rocker switch cap can potentially jam the rocker switch, resulting in unintended seat movement,”

The memo says this was a known issue and that Boeing had issued a related service notice in 2017. The memo doesn’t indicate whether a loose switch cover played a role in the incident on the Latam flight.

Aus_Schwaben

First to know - Last to care!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 31, 2019
    Abilene, TX
    As I understand it, the major scheduled maintenance for the airlines is done overseas at "facilities" that have only one worker in 20 (to 50) that speak English. Which explains why some aircraft have door seals installed backwards and perhaps even cause the failure where the door blew out.

Nicholst55

Retired, Twice.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2021
    Houston Area
    As I understand it, the major scheduled maintenance for the airlines is done overseas at "facilities" that have only one worker in 20 (to 50) that speak English. Which explains why some aircraft have door seals installed backwards and perhaps even cause the failure where the door blew out.

Actually, an audit revealed that workers at the Boeing affiliate that was responsible for installation of the door plugs had workers using hotel key cards as clearance gauges for the door plugs, and were lubing the seals with Dawn dishwashing detergent - rather than following prescribed techniques in the manual. And Alaska Air was aware of faults with that door plug and had been delaying any repair so they could keep the aircraft generating revenue for them.

Lead Belly

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    My buddy retired from Lockheed and told me this story the other day- an F105 was in a remote base for service and they use these transient crews, they were called. That single-engine bird had water injection and this tired crew filled the water reservoir with JP-4 instead of water. JP-4 is half gas/half kerosene.

On takeoff, pilot hit the water injection and blew the back-half of the engine off. Procedure manual update.

F-105_Thunderchiefs_Mt_Fuji-2651513554.jpg

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    My buddy retired from Lockheed and told me this story the other day- an F105 was in a remote base for service and they use these transient crews, they were called. That single-engine bird had water injection and this tired crew filled the water reservoir with JP-4 instead of water. JP-4 is half gas/half kerosene.

On takeoff, pilot hit the water injection and blew the back-half of the engine off. Procedure manual update.

View attachment 440805
    New definition of afterburner?

Top Bottom