• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nlam01

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    I survived the first week of academy training for Correctional officers. It's a paramilitary structure and very very difficult. If any of you know what I am talking about, I could use some advise to get me through the next 5 weeks.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I survived the first week of academy training for Correctional officers. It's a paramilitary structure and very very difficult. If any of you know what I am talking about, I could use some advise to get me through the next 5 weeks.

Watch Stripes and learn the Razzle Dazzle
    tenor (1).gif

Attachments

• tenor (1).gif
      tenor (1).gif
      1 MB · Views: 501

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne

First and foremost, your class needs to cooperate to graduate. That means the class coming together as a team to succeed.

Second, most of it is mental. You may get told (a lot) you suck or some variation of that. Tune that out, understand what the standard to achieve is and focus on that. Don’t entertain negative thoughts.....“Surviving” the first week is a negative thought...You completed week one of training and are continuing in the program to become a corrections officer, which is now one week closer to happening.

Third, understand the goal of the course is to get X number certified folks in X amount of time. What you learn is the bare minimum to keep you alive and doing the job to a minimum standard. While the program accepts the minimum standard, your goal is to exceed the minimum standard in every graded area.

Finally, while rest is your friend, idle hands are the devil’s playground. If you’re not sleeping, you should probably be working on areas that need improvement.

You’ll get through this if you decide now that you aren’t going to fail out.

nlam01

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    First and foremost, your class needs to cooperate to graduate. That means the class coming together as a team to succeed.

Second, most of it is mental. You may get told (a lot) you suck or some variation of that. Tune that out, understand what the standard to achieve is and focus on that. Don’t entertain negative thoughts.

Third, understand the goal of the course is to get X number certified folks in X amount of time. What you learn is the bare minimum to keep you alive and doing the job to a minimum standard.

Finally, while rest is your friend, idle hands are the devil’s playground. If you’re not sleeping, you should probably be working on areas that need improvement.

You’ll get through this if you decide now that you aren’t going to fail out.
    I got through the first week and am determined to keep going. I have made the rules and regulations my 2nd bible, so to speak, because I am determined to get through with no demerits. Teamwork is a tough one with my group for some reason. Some don't think the rules apply to them and others act like lost sheep. It is quite annoying. 5 people were separated from the academy in just that week. On my first day, I was called out 3 different times. As embarrassing as it was, I understand why it had to be done that way. I was determined to get it right the next day. Though, I'm on my guard and not allowing myself to get comfortable. Friday, each one of us had to get up for a scenario amd we were told it was meant to break our previous job experience on the outside. Rough stuff.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Inmates will break you if you are weak. They want to know who those people are now, not when you are on the job. They will do everything to weed out the weak now. Before someone gets hurt.

If you are weak, the inmates will catch it a lot faster and you are toast. You and maybe others.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    I got through the first week and am determined to keep going. I have made the rules and regulations my 2nd bible, so to speak, because I am determined to get through with no demerits. Teamwork is a tough one with my group for some reason. Some don't think the rules apply to them and others act like lost sheep. It is quite annoying. 5 people were separated from the academy in just that week. On my first day, I was called out 3 different times. As embarrassing as it was, I understand why it had to be done that way. I was determined to get it right the next day. Though, I'm on my guard and not allowing myself to get comfortable. Friday, each one of us had to get up for a scenario amd we were told it was meant to break our previous job experience on the outside. Rough stuff.

I agree with everything said so far, but would like to add that your instructors are also tasked with removing the people that don’t belong in that profession. I would also stress your group will have to become a cohesive team or you will never make it through training.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    5 people were separated from the academy in just that week.
    That's better for them and better for everyone remaining. It's a good thing when people realize that they don't fit a job and leave before they waste any more of their life or any more of everyone else's time.

Top Bottom