Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Correct me if I am wrong. Isn't the IRS the enforcement arm of Obamacare? So, essentially the IRS will be inspecting your homes. They would probably have to make sure you are paying your "fair share".
    It probably will have nothing to do with health care and everything to do about inventorying for the IRS.
    That's silly paranoia.

The IRS doesn't care what you own if you're paying your taxes. If you don't, they'll threaten to file a lien and still not care about your possessions. If you still don't pay and owe enough money (that criteria right there lets 90% of people off the hook), they'll file the lien and only then begin to care about inventorying what you own. They won't actually do it unless you're a total screw-up.

The only time the IRS routinely entered homes to inventory possessions was over 30 years ago when someone filed an Offer In Compromise, offering the government a lesser amount of money to satisfy a tax debt. Back in the day, that would trigger a (still voluntary) inventory of your personal possessions. The Officer with the case would actually poke around in your closets to see if you were hiding assets.

The IRS stopped doing that sort of thing almost 40 years ago. They didn't have the manpower. They still don't have the manpower and I doubt they ever will.

There are lots of things to worry about in life. That the boogeyman from the IRS is going to inventory your house isn't one of them.

Top Bottom