• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    We had an Army Navy surplus store down town that while my brother wanted to go to the hobby shop & wanted to go to the Army Navy. And it had that smell oil & beeswax waterproofing old canvas & heavy duck cotton material, wool blankets CPO jackets & pea coats.

The other day I see an add for US GI 7052438 Ammunition pouch. I figured it be perfect to hold 60 of the Colt style SMG magazine, And seeing as I ordered the Colt Clone DOE upper it really work out good. The guy I ordered it from name is Frank Ianamico. He has several boosks out & has been doing it softly as long as I can remember.

My box came today & I have to say Fucking A, it's better the pictured. It has the surplus smell but everything is pristine as f it was just made. And the coolest thing is it's like the web gear I had as a kid. And while I totally understand why web gear is not made this way I really do lone he heavy cotton, single brass snap closure, no noisy plastic buckles or hardware, no velcro, no nylon & simple old school olive drab color. When the mags come in I'll shoot some pictures
    Hurley's Gold

Last edited:

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Sadly, the old school surplus stores have gone the way of Blockbuster, Circuit City, and Woolco.

Not yet! There's still a really good military surplus store near Randolph AFB, and a pretty decent one in Seguin.

When I traveled a lot, I made an effort to track down such store. There are several in Colorado Springs, Norfolk VA and around Washington, DC.

I even found a few cool ones in Germany near Stuttgart and Ramstein!

But they're nowhere near as common as they used to be!!

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    There was nothing quite like those old army/navy stores. I remember picking up all kinds of odd stuff in there. Little solid metal torpedo shaped things with fins that they used to drop on enemy cities, 30 mm anti-aircraft bullets, mosquito repellant that smelled so toxic you knew it had to work. Everything had a smell like wax and cosmoline. And there were thousands of items in each aisle, with very little organization to the place at all. I think the last good one to close was Col. Bubbies (is that right?) on Galveston. I guess they made an amazing amount of materials for WWII and Korea, and that most of it was obsolete by the time of the Vietnam war. At least half the guys in my school had one of those Vietnam era army jackets. They were pretty useful and lasted a long time. I had a coat my uncle brought back from the Army that had a lining like an old army blanket. Itchy, but warm, with a big collar that could be put up to block the wind.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    We bough those grey canister bug bombs as kids when we camped out You could see bugs dropping out of the air. I'm sure small birds & mammals too died from it but it worked & lasted a weekend.

I still have a now worn out woobie from Col. Bubbies & bought in the mid 80's. By the late 90's you could see they had moved out a lot of inventory that's not being replaced. Mostly obscure foreign stuff.

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    Academy Sports used to be called something like Academy Surplus and was exactly that.
    Southern Sales Co: https://blog.chron.com/bayoucityhistory/2011/06/the-southern-sales-story/
    I think the last good one to close was Col. Bubbies (is that right?) on Galveston.
    Meyer - 'Col Bubbie' - was a distant family member of mine, he and my father knew each other quite well a half-century ago. My father and I visited many years ago - maybe the late '90s - and we were told the bulk of their income came from renting equipment to movie productions. The company had accumulated warehouses full of stuff dating back to the mid-1800s, and the daily rate for Hollywood was close to the retail sales price!

Eli

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I'm looking for an 80s /90s Era woodland camo flack jacket size XL if you guys know or have one

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    M65 field jackets are a total bitch to find & when you do beware repos.
    These things are old enough I think I can spot a re-pop or one made of chineseuim

There should be some wear and fading on one that's genuine
    But yeah..buyer beware

I have a couple of the Kevlar Helmets from that era and want a flack jacket for display in my Humvee at car shows and history events

Last edited:

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Field Jacket? M65?
    No..flack vest.
    Or "fragmentation" vest
    1000022190.jpg

Top Bottom