• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fished

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2020
    Cedar Park
    I didn't know this was on option. Has anyone done it this way? Do you still go to a range for the shooting portion? Thanks for the information.

Two Gun Bob

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 28, 2022
    DFW
    Yeah unless it's changed recently you still have to demonstrate proficiency, which means range time somewhere with an LTC instructor. I think they have to send in something for you on that front.

I considered it when I got mine but honestly it offered me no cost or time advantage. You might have different circumstances. Also I think there might be additional considerations for out of state people, I think there's a couple of types of out of state cert depending on LEO status.

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    I didn't know this was on option. Has anyone done it this way? Do you still go to a range for the shooting portion? Thanks for the information.
    Yes, it became an option during the Corona lock-downs.
    You pay for the online class and once you pass, you get the LCT-101 form indicating that you (or maybe your kid) passed an online quiz. (part A)
    But then you need to do the shooting portion which is the hard part because you have to find a real LTC instructor to do it. Of course for extra cost. You give the LCT-101 form to your instructor who, once you've passed the qualification, will fill out part B and C and give it back to you so submit to the DPS RSD website as a supporting document for your application.
    Do you need the class, instructor or both? I can help.

DocBeech

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2023
    Paradise
    Ok so. Yes you can do the classroom portion online. The form you get is called an LTC-101 for completing online. For completing in person you get an LTC-100. I generally do not accept other instructors/online LTC-100s or LTC-101(online training completion form) and (This doesn't effect the student negatively). If you look closely on the LTC-100 you will find 3 boxes. 1 For classroom portion. 1 for 2 hours of range instruction. 1 for the proficiency test. Technically if you choose to go the online route then you need to do 2 hours of range instruction/catchup and then the proficiency test. The range instructor should be signing off on those two boxes for you. Then yes, we instructors must submit an LTC-8 in your name. (This is just an attendance roster with a check box for if you passed or failed).

Steve In Texas

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2023
    Austin, Texas
    The online class, and then range certification option, and then getting finger printed, all in different locations can still consume a decent chunk of time.

LoneStar Handgun in Converse does the whole deal at a single location on the same day.

Two Gun Bob

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 28, 2022
    DFW
    Don't forget the fingerprints. That's going to eat some of your day too. I had to schedule mine during the fluhan, it wasn't a big deal but I remember openings being limited at the time and I had to wait about a week after scheduling it. If i had taken the course online it would have saved me part of a saturday morning but that's it.

I just had a thought, could an instructor offer the class at a strip joint? How about a strip joint with a range out back? Private instruction in the "powder room"?

Tam772

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2024
    Dallas
    Yes, it is an option to do it online now but honestly, I recommend finding a good in person instructer and doing it in person it's a lot of good information that I felt if I did online I would gave been doing something else while it was playing.

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    I studied up on the laws in TX at the time and took the class with an instructor in Mckinney and it was a piece of cake already knew everything that was discussed could have taken the written test immediately. Shooting was also simple. Had my LTC about 10 days later.

Top Bottom