• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XinTX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    South of Houston
    Lot of Prog/Troll components here. Starts a thread about a subject that has been hammered to death and is at times contentious. Then makes a statement that they don't want "criminals and crazy people" carrying guns. With the implied unstated point being "if you favor OC, YOU want criminals and crazy people to roam around with guns". Then says "I never SAID that". Grabs hold of a quote and claims "I've read all those books." The implied bit is "I'm smarter than all you illiterate troglodytes." Pretty clear pattern, right out of the Progs gospel according to Alinsky.

DEAR-GOD-TROLL-DETECTED.jpg
    Target Sports

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    I do know how to search. The answer to my question is neither in the archives or answered by either of you. The questions was "Is there tactical or legal advantage to Open carry." I don't care if anyone thinks they "need" open carry or not.
    The legal advantage is that if I want to OC or even if I just want want to uncover an OWB holster for comfort- it's not legal now. It could be legal. Any gun rights we can get are anti-MDA/anti-Brady group.

I'll always push for more rights.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Matefrio thank you for your reply. I find it interested that because I ask the question folks assume that I am against open carry.

:roflfunny:
    you make a post like this
    At the risk of winding people up, why does anyone want open carry? I don't see the advantage. I understand some folks just want to prove we should be able to do what we want. Whatever.

There is obviously no tactical advantage.
    Just wearing a khaki vest and tactical pants screams "shoot me first". Openly carrying a weapon just makes you the first target. And for the life of me, I don't see any legal advantage. I was told one version of the open carry bills does away with licensing and moves towards constitutional carry. But quite honestly, I don't want any path of legal carry for felons, or any folks that are mentally unfit. I don't care if it is constitutionally guaranteed or not.

and you wonder why people might think you are against open carry?

that is classic troll behavior. Appear to ask an innocuous question, stir the pot and deny stirring the pot.

Mike Savage was right about you guys and my dad was right about Yankees in Uhauls.

You are a liberal, a troll, or a transplanted yankee or a combination.

Last edited:

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    This has been beat to death, but ...

I want open carry because:
    1. It's the right thing to do from a freedom standpoint
    2. I want the freedom and flexibility to do something simple, like hand my wife my gun in a semi-public setting without the risk of becoming a criminal. For those of you thinking "why on Earth would you do that?" I can offer one "hypothetical" example. I was shopping for new clothes, so I was in and out of the dressing room several times. Rather than keep messing with the holster and pistol, I pulled off my rig and handed it (VERY discretely) to my wife, which she then dropped in her purse and zipped closed.
    3. I already assume "criminals and crazy people" are armed. OC won't change that any bit. Crazy people don't consult the law before doing something irrational. Criminals likewise didn't earn the title by virtue of studying the law, then consciously choosing to break it.
    4. Why would we concern ourselves in creating restrictive laws that would be completely ignored by the people whose behavior we want to modify? Anyone who thinks you can change evil behavior with the stroke of a pen is living in a fantasy world. The only thing a law can do is offer punishment after the fact.

I can probably come up with more, but that's it as I see it. I'm not an open carry "fan" either, I would personally continue to choose to carry concealed. But if I were to come up with a situation where I wanted to OC, I believe I should legally have that choice.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!

2. I want the freedom and flexibility to do something simple, like hand my wife my gun in a semi-public setting without the risk of becoming a criminal. For those of you thinking "why on Earth would you do that?" I can offer one "hypothetical" example. I was shopping for new clothes, so I was in and out of the dressing room several times. Rather than keep messing with the holster and pistol, I pulled off my rig and handed it (VERY discretely) to my wife, which she then dropped in her purse and zipped closed.
    3. I already assume "criminals and crazy people" are armed. OC won't change that any bit. Crazy people don't consult the law before doing something irrational. Criminals likewise didn't earn the title by virtue of studying the law, then consciously choosing to break it.
    4. Why would we concern ourselves in creating restrictive laws that would be completely ignored by the people whose behavior we want to modify? Anyone who thinks you can change evil behavior with the stroke of a pen is living in a fantasy world. The only thing a law can do is offer punishment after the fact.

I can probably come up with more, but that's it as I see it. I'm not an open carry "fan" either, I would personally continue to choose to carry concealed. But if I were to come up with a situation where I wanted to OC, I believe I should legally have that choice.

Winner, winner! ^^^^^^^

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    At the risk of winding people up, why does anyone want open carry?

Having the option to do so.

I don't see the advantage.

What you "don't see" is irrelevant to the issue.

So what is the tactical or legal advantage to open carry?

Arguably varies from none, to essential for both ... depending upon the circumstances.

Again, boils down to having an option available to fit the circumstances.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    It might be that Pat's newness to owning firearms that has him seeing things the way he does. In his introduction, he stated he was only a few months into shooting guns.
    I agree the OP comes off sounding critical, but I do believe with time, most people who haven't had the privilege of growing up around firearms, do come around to see things differently from their early days of gun ownership.

locke_n_load

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    I want to be able to mount a holster on the underside of my steering column for when driving I will be able to draw quickly. Conceal carrying on my hip with my seatbelt on makes it for a very, very slow draw. And I don't want to have to mess with trying to hide it with some sort of shroud to get in the way. And I want to be able to carry outside of my clothes in the summer because its Texas.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    I want to be able to mount a holster on the underside of my steering column for when driving I will be able to draw quickly. Conceal carrying on my hip with my seatbelt on makes it for a very, very slow draw. And I don't want to have to mess with trying to hide it with some sort of shroud to get in the way. And I want to be able to carry outside of my clothes in the summer because its Texas.

Basically, due to chronic age related shoulder issues, it is difficult/almost impossible to draw out of an IWB that is placed in the optimum location for concealed carry of any duration.

No problem, rather than not carry at all, I pocket carry out of necessity.

While I much prefer concealed, and it would be rare that I would even consider open carrying, sure would be nice to have the option when necessary due to weather and clothing requirements, as well as mitigating the possibility and possible repercussions of an inadvertent display under the current system.

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    At the risk of winding people up, why does anyone want open carry? I don't see the advantage. I understand some folks just want to prove we should be able to do what we want. Whatever.

There is obviously no tactical advantage. Just wearing a khaki vest and tactical pants screams "shoot me first". Openly carrying a weapon just makes you the first target. And for the life of me, I don't see any legal advantage. I was told one version of the open carry bills does away with licensing and moves towards constitutional carry. But quite honestly, I don't want any path of legal carry for felons, or any folks that are mentally unfit. I don't care if it is constitutionally guaranteed or not.

So what is the tactical or legal advantage to open carry?

no provision for any sort of class, background check, or provisions to prevent someone who is not competent to have a gun from legally carrying one.

This mindset gets under my skin, for arguments sake OC is comfortable and easier in warmer months when lighter clothing makes it difficult to conceal, in cooler months it can be slow to draw with heavy, layered clothing. Tactical advantage? Why does there need to be one? As far as legal advantage, do you perceive some disadvantage?

What evidence (other than wild speculation) can you present to support that OC or wearing particular clothing makes one a target? That simply doesn't hold water in context of decades of evidence across dozens of states that allow OC.

How is the assertion minimum training, background checks or even your particular concept of competency even relevant? Did someone appoint you arbiter of what qualifications are required to exercise a natural and Constitutionally protected right? What assurance can you provide that Joe-bob who's been shooting since he could walk is less "competent" than Buffy or Tad with their handful of official-looking certificates from "tactical" sounding courses intended primarily to generate income for the proprietor?

This smacks of "I'm a 2A supporter but..."

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    But quite honestly, I don't want any path of legal carry for felons, or any folks that are mentally unfit. I don't care if it is constitutionally guaranteed or not.

What makes you think ANY law will help the prevention of the above quote if they are so inclined?!?!

A felon in possession is already breaking the law....

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    1. Why should OC be a crime punishable by fine and incarceration?

2. Why should plainclothes and off-duty police officers have the ability to OC while law-abiding citizens cannot do the same?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

sdismukes

Bending nails and making sawdust
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2014
    Erath County

BINGO! Let me further add any felon in possession of a firearm won't open carry as it may cause LEO to pay him more attention than he wants. So no changes there - OC or not, the felon will continue to do as he pleases until caught/shot.

For me the important aspect is "do not deny me the right to make up my own mind".

When we get OC, you better believe LEO in larger cities, particularly Austin, Dallas, etc. will frequently stop you to check on your state of mind - anything to make OC uncomfortable for you in their jurisdiction. It'll settle out pert quick where OC makes sense for any given individual.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    It might be that Pat's newness to owning firearms that has him seeing things the way he does. In his introduction, he stated he was only a few months into shooting guns.
    I agree the OP comes off sounding critical, but I do believe with time, most people who haven't had the privilege of growing up around firearms, do come around to see things differently from their early days of gun ownership.
    True for me, hopefully for OP as well.

Good post J.

Top Bottom