Organizing your community ahead of SHTF or WROL conditions - some advice.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • O.S.O.K. 1961

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2018
    SATX Northwest Quadrant
    Here's a quick discussion and some advice on the best way to organize your disparate background community as things heat up and cooperation and organization will be needed to provide security and overall protection to your area of operation.
    DK Firearms

O.S.O.K. 1961

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2018
    SATX Northwest Quadrant
    Yes, by all means, I want a 'patrol leader'... no, no I don't.

Egos have a way of growing into petty tyrants.

I was in the military and saw it first hand...

I want no part of some budding ancien régime.
    Well it's not for everyone and certainly not compulsory and I know what you mean - this can be a magnet for bullies and those hungry for attention... which is never good. I probably should have added some commentary about that - more than "check you egos" but I'm just doing this off the cuff and I just wanted to plant the idea of organizing and providing an easy, simple way to do it.

If you're more of a lone wolf type, no worries - not everyone wants to deal with others. I just know that when people cooperate, it's more effective which I'm sure you're not meaning to argue...

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    Cooperation...

That opens a bag of worms, who/if depends on what people perceive is best for them or those they value. Sadly, it's frequently not a static virtue.

O.S.O.K. 1961

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2018
    SATX Northwest Quadrant
    I will say this. We must hang together or we will surely hang separately. To quote Ben Franklin.

If you let the possible negative aspects of cooperating for a common defense stop you from organizing, you will be left to your individual resources. Personally, I have to sleep. I would like to know that my neighbors were covering my ass while I was doing that and I don't mind returning the favor. It really is that basic.

And to be clear, I am only suggesting this as a way to address outside threats - not some kind of community control or something. I would oppose that.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    ^^^ Your neighbor will cover your ass right up to the moment his kids are starving and you're the only one with food.
    Exactly. That's why I prefer the "Lone wolf" approach to a SHTF scenario. Provide for your own family, you can't rely on others for anything.
    Also, don't let others know what you have.

voland

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2023
    Plano/Frisco
    ^^^ Your neighbor will cover your ass right up to the moment his kids are starving and you're the only one with food.
    Or until you realize that his kids are starving and you are the only one with food...

The onky way around this problem is to make sure that he is as ready as you are. That requires working with him early and often... and a bit of luck...

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    Or until you realize that his kids are starving and you are the only one with food...

The onky way around this problem is to make sure that he is as ready as you are. That requires working with him early and often... and a bit of luck...
    Absolutely not. I have no more right to push or impose my way of thinking on him than he does on mine.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    "That requires working with him early and often... and a bit of luck..."

Just returned to this thread and I'm trying (and failing) to understand what the above means...?

"...working with him early and often"

Say what?

Please elaborate...thanks!

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Oh wait, I finally DO get it!

'Working with him early and often' is a gay euphemism...

Right?

Bend over, I'll drive...kinda thing...ah, not really what this site's about...you might want to look elsewhere for that kinda thing...

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    In a lawless world, he who is most heavily armed and capable will be in charge...................

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I will say this. We must hang together or we will surely hang separately. To quote Ben Franklin.

If you let the possible negative aspects of cooperating for a common defense stop you from organizing, you will be left to your individual resources. Personally, I have to sleep. I would like to know that my neighbors were covering my ass while I was doing that and I don't mind returning the favor. It really is that basic.

And to be clear, I am only suggesting this as a way to address outside threats - not some kind of community control or something. I would oppose that.

Yep, this is the only way to protect your area. If you don't organize your neighbors and push out a perimeter far from your houses, then you're at risk of pot shots and moltolv cocktails. I'm not a fan of just having patrols but I guess it depends on your layout and several other factors. I like static points (LPOP's) with patrols in between those points of perimeter.

If you're not controlling who comes in and out of your area in a serious scenario, eventually you'll get bit. Like you said, 24hr security rotation is my plan, and to collaborate with the neighbors.
    Nods and armor come in handy for that 24hr watch. I know a few of my neighbors do along with me. Being a loner is an old school of thought on the subject. Either having a plan for your group to rendezvous at agreed place, or making sure you have a plan with the neighbors or both.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    WROL means basically the collapse of civilization as we know it. While I know and trust, to a point, my immediate neighbors, I don't have much trust for the rest of the community. Given the amount of gunfire I hear occasionally, I know that most if not all have guns in my community, but that doesn't mean they are of like mind politically. While I can speak for myself on preparedness, I can't say that of my neighbors, let alone the community, and I haven't talked to any about what I have and I plan to keep it that way.

I'd like to think our community will look out for each other, I just don't have much faith in that. Things could get very real, very quickly if a WROL, SHTF situation were to happen

Top Bottom