Venture Surplus ad

Per TX and SA Law, the optimal way to deal with door to door solicitors?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    I very rarely had solicitors during the last year in Savannah, however after the storm a few weeks ago several roofing vultures have appeared. A pest control solicitor recently wanted to inquire about a pest control service and I told her she was the only pest I'd had this week.
    ARJ Defense ad

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    If someone was banging on my front door aggressively then before opening it, I would in a loud voice ask who is it and what do you want. If unwanted I would demand they leave my property. If the knocking persisted, I might open the door just a crack, dogs at my side gun in holster and non-lethal weapon in hand. If when I opened it and told them again to get off the property, they remained, I would think a dousing with pepper spray would be in order. Recording a video of the whole encounter if feasible would be prudent. I guarantee I could justify the use of the pepper spray in most states even NY (maybe not in CA) especially if I had video of the encounter. It is definitely justifiable in TX, see:

I am not a lawyer nor currently in LE, so please check that with an attorney or contact your local, county or state police and ask them. Asking on a gun forum for a lawyer or LE officer's adivice is like asking for medical advice from a doctor in an online chat room full folks discussing their diseases. You have no clue if anyone who claims to be one you are seeking is truly so and furthermore have little to no clue they are knowledgeable of the issue at hand unless they supply something to back themselves up like the link I gave you. Please do yoursel a favor, check with someone whose identity as an expert on the matter you can in fact verify.

Last edited:

Dingo

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2021
    DFW
    they do seem to have become much more aggressive, now they will pound on the door for minutes. I have put a baseball bat by the door and pray they do so when I’m home, as my 6’5” azz will be answering the door being far less than pleasant. My wife is retired and home taking care off her live in mom, they get scared at times, at the way some aggressively “knock”.
    I have 2 signs, beware of dog and no solicitors.
    they seem to only come during the work day, when I am assuming they believe men are at work, and possibly more ladies at home

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    My neighborhood used to have lots of solicitors. It may still be that way. However, I'm not aware. I've only had a couple of solicitors knock on my door since I put up a sign saying:

Do not knock or ring doorbell
    unless
    you have called ahead
    or
    this is an emergency.
    ------------------------------​

Solicitors know if they wake someone up they aren't going to make a sale so they don't bother. Since my sis is usually sleeping during the day, the sign isn't even a fib.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    My neighborhood used to have lots of solicitors. It may still be that way. However, I'm not aware. I've only had a couple of solicitors knock on my door since I put up a sign saying:

unless
    you have called ahead
    or
    this is an emergency.

Solicitors know if they wake someone up they aren't going to make a sale so they don't bother. Since my sis is usually sleeping during the day, the sign isn't even a fib.
    YEARS AGO WHEN I WORKED NIGHT SHIFT I HAD A VERY SIMILAR SIGHN BUT THEREIS ALWAYS THAT ONEMORON THAT CAN'OR WON'T READ THE SIGHN!

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015

unless
    you have called ahead
    or
    this is an emergency.

Ben always coming through with logic.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    For the 2 years at my new property that is fenced and has an automatic gate with lock and 3 large dogs not one person has knocked on my door .

If you know me you can call or text if you want to visit. If you are family that I like you have a gate code on your phone to get in.

**** anyone else's lol. Oh wait there was a notice on my gate about a warrant for the previous owner I did call the number from work and let them know the lady moved over a year ago but I did give them her phone number after the realtor gave her my number to make communication easy that stupid MF er.

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    Ben has the right idea.
    Your "No Solicitors" sign is weak sauce.
    Try
    [white square with handwritten "5" in it] days since we tazed the last solicitor. Solicitors with heart conditions use extreme caution.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Just answer the door naked and invite them in. Got rid of Jehovas witnesses that way.

Around 1994 some friends and I were returning from a restaurant (the Old Spaghetti Warehouse down on 5th Street in Austin, probably) when we spotted the Jehovas Witnesses canvassing the apartment complex and realized my friends' apartment hadn't been visited yet. The five of us quickly sprinted up to Nathan and Wendy's apartment and went inside to wait for the knock. When it came, Nathan answered the door shirtless, with his long hair draped over his chest which Wendy had painted a pentagram on with lipstick, holding their rather bored cat by the scruff of the neck in his left hand and a double-edged dagger in the other while the rest of us sat in a circle in the candle-lit living room behind him.

"Um...hi?" one of the JW's stammered.

"Hey," Nathan replied casually. "Look, if you can make it quick, we're kind of in the middle of a religious ceremony here..."

Yeah, they didn't even leave a copy of the "Watchtower" behind, they left so quick.

mm54943

Not So Well Known...
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2020
    Fort Bend area
    IMG_1112.jpeg

I kind of want this sign.

But I have a Ring camera and just tell them through the speaker that I’m not interested.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Not much can be ‘done’ about it. To be effective, you need to post your property with purple paint or visible signage stating no trespassing. At the point of entry.

Next, you’ve gotta give oral notice. Tell the asshat they’re not welcome on your property, that they must leave, and if they don’t you will have them trespassed. Note that you can’t hold them on your property, but you sure as hell can throw them off your property.

Then, if they stick around long enough for PD or SO to show up, and their still on your property, PD or SO can ticket them and you’ll have go to court and prove they were trespassing You do that with evidence the asshat was provided notice and failed to leave.

The shit part is you can tell someone to get off your property and you can throw them into the street if they don’t, but sidewalks and streets are common areas that belong to the HOA (or municipality).

Get in your HOA’s ass and have them enforce the their own by-GD-laws.

Note TPC 9.42 provides justification for use of deadly force to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime.

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    If you use a Ring or other doorbell camera you can set it up to play an automated message. You can also talk to them without opening the door. People typically do less stupid shit when they know they are being recorded. A lot of these "salespeople" are hired through 3rd parties so they tend to care a lot less about how they represent the company they are selling for.
    If you want a lawyer who knows the law in TX / SA, you need to look one up and pay them.

I’m in Plano, and have paid for the advice you seek up here, but YMMV.
    Law enforcement generally doesn’t want to come out for simple trespass.
    Purple paint stripes and no trespassing signs are effective for adding additional charges if a felony is committed.
    Persons who knock for unusually long times may be casing your home, or it may be a “Cop knock”.
    Showing up with a weapon in a ready position may get you arrested.

Ring doorbell is often your best option.

So it’s up to you on how you want to handle it.

Good luck.
    I would paint the sidewalk purple

Top Bottom